1999 Vectra - ticking noise on startup - hefty
2.0cc DOC engine. I have been told I may have a blocked oil way feed pipe to a cam follower(as a loud ticking noise is heard when engine is started). I change the engine oil every six months. Is there any risk in using an engine flush to cure this problem? The car has covered 90,000 miles. Doesn't burn oil and drives well.Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
1999 Vectra - ticking noise on startup - Civic8
Dont know the Vectra,but doubt engine flush would help. I would go for finding offending tappet adjuster and replace,maybe replace all at that mileage.which I would normaly do

I dont agree with engine flushing unless severe oil feed problems,Others may not agree,Just my thoughts
--
Steve
1999 Vectra - ticking noise on startup - Dynamic Dave
What oil are you using? It *could* be that it is too thin and draining out of the hydraulic lifters thus making them chatter on start up whilst they refil up with oil again.
1999 Vectra - ticking noise on startup - Collos25
They all do this when they get worn,its the cams having no oil on start up goes when the pressure builds upWill not get better like all things they wear out.
1999 Vectra - ticking noise on startup - SpamCan61 {P}
I wouldn't flush the engine personally, you don't know where the detached crap will end up sitting..I'd just live with it - all my high mileage vauxalls ( see '3k' thread) have had lazy lifters.
1999 Vectra - ticking noise on startup - cheddar
I had a 96 Vectra 2.0 SRi from new, IIRC it had a mild clatter on start up from cold for a few seconds even when new, particularly if not started for a few days or in v cold weather.
Thanks everybody for your thoughts, I can see sense in every one of them.I do use the correct viscosity oil,the tapping appears to eminate from No1 cylinder and has only been happening for the last week. Even when the engine is hot, or the engine revved a bit the tapping appears briefly for a few seconds. It's 6 month oil change is due now, so I will try the engine flush, if no different, the tappets will be changed. Thanks all.
Are you sure it's tappet noise? Reason I ask is, IIRC, No1 cylinder is at the cambelt end of the engine. Don't want to unnecessarily worry you, but these engines are renound for their cambelt tensioner failures. When was the cambelt and tensioners last changed?
Yes, I had the belt changed back in September, I presume they would have replaced the tensioner as a matter of course? Owing to past experience with main dealers,I had the work carried out by an independant garage, but I will double check. Thanks.
1999 Vectra - ticking noise on startup - redviper
Clattering Tappets is Very Common and Normal on OHC Engines of a high Milage in particular Vauxhall Engines, Both my Vaxuahalls did it, as they reached 100K Plus, and its normal as the "aged" Tappets dont get pressurised with oil until its pumped round, If you want to you can replace them, however there is no damage casued when they clatter, so its livable with, as they shouldnt do it when the engine is warmed up
--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6
they shouldnt do it when the engine is warmed up

To quote a post a bit further up by hefty:-

"Even when the engine is hot, or the engine revved a bit the tapping appears briefly for a few seconds."