Original Radio? - LAS Fan Club
Hi,

I have a 'Blaupunkt Windsor SQR 38' radio in a 1988 Golf, and I need the code. Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be the original, so that I can get the code from VW?

Regards,

LAS Fan Club
Re: Original Radio? - Mark (Brazil)
Gosh, I am in a helpful mood this morning.

There is a Radio Decoding Site. It will give you everything you wish to know (probably).

pluto.beseen.com/boardroom/q/49906/

Its not UK, but that shouldn`t matter.

And I realise that this could be misused, but its already freely available. If someone objects, mail Martyn and ask him to remove this thread. I won`t be offended.

M.
Re: Original Radio? - Martyn (Back Room moderator)
Since it's in the public domain, Mark, it's utility to Back Room visitors outweighs its mischief potential.

How are you, by the way?
Re: Original Radio? - Jim
can you check this address, I have an old, serviceable bluapiont (i think) and was trying to access the site, but without success
thanks
Jim
Its down at the mo`, dunno why. However, it was working this morning (my time) and at a similar time a few weeks ago.

I`d suggest trying again later or in the morning.

M.
Martyn,

I`m very well thanks. I sent an e-mail to you, however essence was "in the UK for 5 days from 25th, wanna beer ?"

I have 2 days meetings, 1 day up north on a Pink Awayday special, arranged by the "ElStu&Bats" club, other than that, I have plenty of time.

Actually, you could come on the AwayDay with us, if you like. 24 of us in a pink landrover going ice-skating in some bay somewhere or other north of Watford. Probably be a long trip since the pink landrover needs an MOT and we thought we'd get it done while we're there.

I`ll re-send the e-mail and I'll attach a photo of La Sproglette.

Mark.
Re: Original Radio? - ian (cape town)
Mark, why are you here, when I've just seen some great footage of scantily clad young lasses at the Rio carnival on TV? :)
Anyway, enjoy your road-trip, and some English beer!
Seeing anybody we know?
Re: Original Radio? - Martyn (Back Room moderator)
ian (cape town) wrote:

> Anyway, enjoy your road-trip, and some English beer!
> Seeing anybody we know?

Yeah, me, it looks like!
Nice to hear, Mart!
Watch out for anybody in a Dennis the Menace shirt, clutching a sports implement....
>>Mark, why are you here, when I've just seen some great footage of scantily clad young lasses at the Rio carnival on TV? :)

Because Adriana saw the same clip 8-(

As for the road trip, we thought we`d look out some local history and legends; Things like whether or not the Electric Monk exists, local drinking haunts, local garages, that sort of thing. Even considered that as part of our research into local education as to whether there were any colleges we should visit or not.

So if any of you, virtual or not, see me then you'll know. And despite my job, you might find I look rather more like a member of a workmen's road-repair crew than I do a business man. I am told that the same could be said of my approach to life and things which irritate me.

And I`ll be driving an E320.

Ian - I`ll send you pictures !!
Sounds fun!
So we'll have a Babe AND a babe ruth in Brazil?Who all will you be catching up with, for a beer?
As I am writing this, Jim and LAS FC, that site-link is up and working. I just checked.

M.
or try this.....

www.radiocode.co.uk/
OK everybody, Camilla Victoria is awake, on my lap and showing no signs of sleeping. Therefore I feel that having given really good contributions and information within this thread, I am now totally justified in diverting it for my own entertainment, since right now I am *bored* !!!!!

Ian,

Dunno, there`s several I`d like to have a beer with, although the most important is to have a beer. Oh how I miss English Beer !

I'm also looking forward to the weather. Weird I know, but after 10 years in the tropics and bit of honest to goodnes cold, drizzle and wind does me good.

Do you ever get back there ?

I truly have every intention of travelling up north. That particular situation has been bugging the hell out of me for a year or so, and I need, for my own personal satisfaction, to get to the bottom of it.

By the way, I don`t suppose you know anything about swimming pool filters, do you ?

M.
what's wrong with it, and what type is it?
The dogs swim in the pool all the time. Since they`re hairy, then everything is getting clogged up.

There`s this big barrel like thing, which I think is full of sand. I am seeming to have a slower flow of water, and I am assuming the damn thing is full of dog hair.

So, some questions;

Does this sand have to replaced periodically ?
Is it just that, sand ?
What does backflushing do ?
If I want to clean the thing, is that possible ?
And what do I do, undo that sod-off big clip holding the two halves together ?

Given that its Carnival, there is no bloody chance of finding a sober Brazilian within the next week. And anyway, I`m bored, mostly because I`m not working, and I fancy having a go.

M.
Mark (Brazil) wrote:
>
> The dogs swim in the pool all the time. Since they`re hairy,
> then everything is getting clogged up.

I used to have two golden retrievers, I knw the problem...

> There`s this big barrel like thing, which I think is full of
> sand. I am seeming to have a slower flow of water, and I am
> assuming the damn thing is full of dog hair.

Probably, as well as all other types of detritus (old leaves, etc)

> So, some questions;
>
> Does this sand have to replaced periodically ?Not really.
> Is it just that, sand ? yes, and diatomaceous earth
> What does backflushing do ?pours a lot of the old water down the drain, after it comes back through against the normal flow of water in the filter
> If I want to clean the thing, is that possible ?Yes, and easier than you think. as all the dog hair and organic stuff tends to float, you can remove about half the sand, put it into a large container (junior's bath? ;) and run a hose through it. all the water will come out gunky for a while, and the cr*p floats to the top, where a kitchen sieve or similar will strain it off. Same with the sand left in the filter, give it a good stir, and run the hose into it but hopefully the drainage there is good enough for the overflow (siphoning into a drain occasionally is the alternative)
> And what do I do, undo that sod-off big clip holding the two
> halves together ?
Not too sure - mine has 10 bolts on top to hold the lid down.
> By the way, if you nick SWMBO's tights, you can make a very effective dog hair-trap at the inlet, which will ease the problem.

> Given that its Carnival, there is no bloody chance of finding
> a sober Brazilian within the next week. And anyway, I`m
> bored, mostly because I`m not working, and I fancy having a go.
>
> M.

> I used to have two golden retrievers, I knw the problem...

Funnily enough that`s what I have. Bart & Becker, 18mths old and 47kg each (about 105lbs).

Firstly, are you going to explain "diatomaceous" or am I going to have to go back inside to look for a dictionary ?

> Not too sure - mine has 10 bolts on top to hold the lid down.

Mine`s got that big tap thing on the top which you use to choose between filter, recycle, etc. I removed that, but it didn`t seem to get me much further. However, there are a number (8?) allen bolts lower down, maybe they`re worth a shot.

> By the way, if you nick SWMBO's tights, you can make a very effective dog hair-trap at the inlet, which will ease the problem.

I didn`t think of SWMBO`s stockings (not tights ), but I did try some gauze. Trouble was, it trapped the hair alright, but it trapped so much of it that it actually managed to block itself up in very short order.

However, stockings being stretchy there are possibilities. With or without seams ?

I`ve put 200km on this Xantia estate. Its not at all bad, although the engine is a little rough and gutless. The suspension is good, but its not the mind-blowing ride on air effect that I thought it might be,

I`m thinking of writing one of my meaningless, biased, emotional, subjective and boring reviews on the thing. I just need to find a mountain to drive it in, since I`d bet a few bucks it`ll be better than the Freelander.

And what are you doing awake at this hour ?

M.
worked late last night, slept half the day
Re: Original Radio? - Ian Cook
Mark (Brazil) wrote:
>

> Firstly, are you going to explain "diatomaceous" or am I going to have to go back inside to look for a dictionary ?
>

Mark

When I was fiddling about in a filtration laboratory about 4 lives ago, diatomaceous earth was quite a common material. As I remember, it's made from ground up fossilised remains and each particle has many holes in it, hence its use in fiters.

There used to be two brands called "celite" and "dicalite". I don't know if the spelling is correct or even if they are still available.

HTH

Ian (not Cape Town)
Re: Original Radio? - Bono Estente
Mark wrote:

The (Xantia) suspension is good, but its not the mind-blowing ride on air effect that I thought it might be.

Just so, the thing is Citroën could, and have in the past produced such a car, and it would be a real point of difference from other car choices, but I think because they are over-sensitive to the likely reaction of road test writers - the Elk Test syndrome - that they appear to have diluted their brilliant system so that it doesn't feel too different from a good metal-sprung chassis.
Xantia vs Mercedes - ChrisR
Mark

My (limited) experience of this is that the ride offered by the Citroen system compares well with much bigger, more expensive cars. If you're used to Mercs, it won't feel special. If you're used to an equivalent Ford, it feels fantastic. And given that a top of the range Xantia came in at about half the price of a mid-range small Merc, Citroen didn't do so badly. It really comes into its own when carrying loads or towing.

Chris
Re: Xantia vs Mercedes - David W
Chris,

Quite.

David
Re: Original Radio? - Matt Kelly
Just for the record, I've had an '89 & 90 Golf, both had Panasonics in, and I'm pretty sure they were the originals.
I've got a CD player in the current '90 one but still have the original at home.