new car - late delivery - scc
I ordered an X-type estate in December and specified a March 1st delivery which is the date on the contract.

On the 4th Feb I was advised by my dealer that the delivery date would now be 24th March - " a week or so longer than anticipated due to a low order call and high demand".

This has seriously inconvenienced me and I have had to agree to reduce the selling price of my present car by £50 per week in order to keep the sale and have the use of a car in the meantime.

Last night I was having a drink with a friend who used to be in the car trade and he is firmly of the opinion that my original car has gone to another buyer and the dealer is being somewhat economical with the actuality so to speak.

Before talking to the dealer again I would appreciate any thoughts/opinions on the matter.
new car - late delivery - Oz
I assume the car was buit to your spec.
Did the dealer quote you a Chassis Number at some time before 4th Feb?

Oz (as was)
Yes the car was(is being?) built to my spec. There was no chassis number on the order form - just the spec, delivery date, price etc.
new car - late delivery - Oz
There was no chassis number on the order form

I didn't actually mean on the order form, it's just that I remember when my Beemer (built to spec) was going to be delivered on 1/3/2001, the dealer quoted me the chassis number several weeks in advance for the purpose of arranging insurance.
Obviously didn't happen with your dealer so this line of approach is no help to you, sorry.
Oz (as was)
new car - late delivery - Pugugly {P}
My latest was delayed by a couple of months, led to fustration, also built to spec.
new car - late delivery - Citroënian {P}
We twice had dealers commit to delivery dates for the C4 that they couldn't meet. The first tried to get us into another coloured car or pay 15% more for another model. Told them where to put that idea.

The second knew all about the problems with the first dealer and yet did the same thing. Ended up speaking to the Dealer Principal who was mortified this had happened and offered to give us a car on the date agreed until ours turned up.

In the latter instance it was the usual story of a salesidiot promising anything to get the sale then telling lie after lie until the irate customer went above him.

I'd be clear with them what they've promised and explore the route of getting alternative transport out of the garage. If nothing else, driving around in their stock gives them an incentive to sort your car.

Lee -- Without bills, magazines and junk mail, there is no mail
new car - late delivery - Aretas
Many years ago I was being fobbed-off with later and later deliveries on an ordered car. (A kit Elan). When I threatened to go and buy a BMW I was promised delivery in 7 days, which did happen, but the car had someone elses name on the docs. I guess they didn't shout as loud.
new car - late delivery - SjB {P}
Sorry to hear of the hassle. I harboured similar fears when I purchased my UK spec V70 from a Dutch dealer but in reality the opposite proved true; the car was ordered, built to spec and delivered to the dealer in six weeks. This was mid February 2003 and I then had to ask them to wait until March 1st per our contract since February 28th was when I handed my company car back and wanted the Volvo! Thankfully the dealer agreed to securely store the car without quibble even though this meant waiting a few weeks longer to receive the £20k balance remaining.

I know the exact build date and like PU was also given the VIN by the dealer at much the same time so I could arrange insurance well in advance.

I hope all is concluded for you soon.
new car - late delivery - Bill Payer
Obviously there's demand/production balancing going on, but the X-Type is so poor selling that it's hard to imagine there would be any delay.
The dealers T's & C's will cope with all this, so I doubt there's anything legal you could do. I tried to specify an exact delivery date on a car a few yrs ago with the alternative that the dealer would supply a loaner, but none of several dealers I tried would agree.
You could ask nicely for a loaner, or complain to Jaguar head office, maybe?
new car - late delivery - SjB {P}
> and like PU

Like Oz, sorry.
new car - late delivery - Aprilia
I find it very hard to believe that there is high-demand for the X-type, of any variant. Production is below capacity. If the car is genuinely delayed then it could be due to shortage of some component or other which is needed for final assembly; this does sometimes happen.
new car - late delivery - Brit_in_Germany
Perhaps it has had to make an unscheduled trip to the body shop?

BIG
new car - late delivery - Collos25
Perhaps it has had to make an unscheduled trip to the
body shop?

Where in Germany are you?
"Perhaps it has had to make an unscheduled trip to the body shop?"

Why would it have to do this?

new car - late delivery - Armitage Shanks {p}
Because it has been damaged in transit from the factory to the dealer, I should think!