BMW 3 Series query - Miller
My cousin ordered a new 3 serires from abroad in sept last year and is expecting delivery next month. It seems around the time he placed the order Bmw gave this model a midlife facelift, and he is unsure as to wether he will get the facelifted model or the old style one, the import company cannot clarify this for him either. Any Ideas?, thanks.
Re: BMW 3 Series query - Paul Richards
The face lifted model started production in October, but unfortunately your cousin could still end up with an old model (which is one of the risks you take when buying abroad)
Re: BMW 3 Series query - Pat
Yes, it probably will be the older version. A mate of mine bought a brand new 318i through Motorpoint in Derby, and it was the E36 model on a T plate when the E46 (very different) model came out here on the S plate. Not surprisingly, he had trouble selling it a couple of years later, especially as the spec was strange (eg leather interior but steel wheels) and it just didn't look right.

Your cousin should be careful, though a facelift will not be quite so bad in terms of depreciation etc.

Pat
Re: BMW 3 Series query - Honest John
Wasn't just a facelift in the case of the 318i and the 320D. The 318i got a real engine at last and the 320D gor upped to 150bhp. Details in car by car breakdown.

HJ
Re: BMW 3 Series query - Miller
It is the 320 diesel he has ordered! He'll be gutted if it is the older model. Oh well, fingers crossed.
Re: BMW 3 Series query - Pete Fincher
I bought mine from abroad through Carbusters 15 months ago, there wasa 24 week delivery period. When it arrived it was the latest spec which had changed in the October (mine was delivered in Nov). Assuming he set the spec for his car - The cars are built to order and the dealers are hardly likely to have them lying around as they will want their money a.s.a.p., therefore he should get the latest spec.
Re: BMW 3 Series query - Keithb
Is he buying this from a BMW dealer? If so, the dealer will know the build week and will also know the model year. If he's getting it next month, after a 6 month wait, then it must be being built around now or in the very near future and it will be a 2002 model, i.e. the current one. Even if he has had no contact with a BMW dealer, the import co. can ask their dealer. It's odd that he's having difficulty getting this confirmed.
Re: BMW 3 Series query - Fred Stoat
if it smells fishy then it's probably a fish... or in this case a clunker
Re: BMW 3 Series query - Andrew Barnes

I'm pretty certain it will be the latest version. I help import VWs, they are usually only about 3 weeks old when picked up from the dealer, even though sometimes a 6 month wait in unavoidable.

Cheers

Andrew
www.hispecgolfs.co.uk

>
> My cousin ordered a new 3 serires from abroad in sept last
> year and is expecting delivery next month. It seems around
> the time he placed the order Bmw gave this model a midlife
> facelift, and he is unsure as to wether he will get the
> facelifted model or the old style one, the import company
> cannot clarify this for him either. Any Ideas?, thanks.
Re: BMW 3 Series query - Honest John
If it's a genuine 2002 model, then it comes with a two year pan European manufacturer warranty.

HJ
Probably new spec - ian (cape town)
So far as I know, most 320 D RHD's are all made at Rosslyn, in S africa.
That given, he should get the new spec.
Re: Probably new spec - ROBIN
If its the older 320 d he can doubtless chip his problems away...........