towing cars - phil
seen a nice car. it is a vauxhall omega 2.0 16v gls. has got 39000 on the clock
price £4600.any thoughts out there.
Re: towing cars - Ian Cook
Just a thought, Phil. The thread is titled "good towing cars". Do you want to tug a caravan with it?

When I drove one of the first 16v 2 litre Omegas I didn't think much of its torque characteristics. Plenty of power, but it needed wellying.

Ian
Re: towing cars - Richard P
You need a good turbo-diesel, modern direct-injection units are good to drive even when not solely used for towing. Vauxhall's DTI 2.0 or 2.2 litre units would be excellent, as would PSA's HDI units etc....lots to choose from...... Any Omegas with the BMW 2.5 six cylinder diesel engine about?
Re: towing cars - Honest John
A 2.0 litre Omega is already towing enough weight before you hang a shed on wheels on the back of it.

HJ
Re: towing cars - Ian Cook
I think you're getting a litle behind the times, HJ. Some of these sheds now qualify as Portacabins!

Ian
Re: towing cars - Andy Bairsto
They are absolutely useless for towing,the 2.5td is much better but it also depends what you want to tow as there are regulations governing this factor.I now use a Ford Explorer for my Caravan and that is execptional towing vehicle if you can afford the petrol.
Re: towing cars - Phil
You want a good towcar? Stick with GM and find yourself a nice 3.0 Senator 24v for about a grand (or late model Carlton GSI 3000). 3 mode autobox with torque converter lock - and you don't have to drive a 4x4. And it has 200bhp and goes like stink
Re: towing cars - Andy Bairsto
I would agree with that th straight six is bullet proof .The problem is getting a good one.