muck and brass - El Hacko
Interesting to read today obituary of the man who invented Swarfega. Which car enthusiast didn't grow up with a jar of this thick green gel in the garage/kitchen? Derbyshire born chemist Audley Williamson, a life long philanthropist, died in '04 and left a hefty slice of his £1.4m fortune to charity. The word Swarf was taken fm the greasy grit found in centre of a wheel axle, and "Ega" suggested it wld do the job fast. As the mechanics cleaned up, so did AB - and deservedly so
muck and brass - Hamsafar
What about Tufenega? I remember it was peach coloured.
Was it by the same company, or a lame copy?
muck and brass - Lud
He didn't make much out of it considering how good it is. Of course some say it's bad for yr skin but it never did me any harm. There are other similar products now but it used to be the only one.

May his soul rest in peace.
muck and brass - pastyman
Tufanega is made by the same company, its still peachy coloured, but contain polymer grit particles to scrub away greese and dirt.

Pastyman...
muck and brass - Dynamic Dave
Tufanega is made by the same company,

Sure is. I looked on the side of the tub of Tufanega in the washroom today. Made by a company called Deb, who also make Swarfega

www.deb.co.uk/uk_portal/

www.deb.co.uk/ukswarfega/

www.deb.co.uk/ukdeb/(rtgy2h55n4osso45xlluprj2)/Ranges.aspx?id=28
muck and brass - R75
A good substitute is to use washing up liquid and washing powder - it works just as well and is cheaper.
muck and brass - Aprilia
We always used to use Vim, with a shot of Fairly Liquid. Ended up with skin like shoeleather. I use Manista nowadays though.
muck and brass - Stuartli
A pair of Marigolds...?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
muck and brass - Vansboy
The combination of the Fairy under the sink & sugar is an old favourite - for destroying skin!!

& Swarfega is no match for aforementioned Manista.

& smells a lot more pleasent, too!

VB
muck and brass - cheddar
Still use Swarfega here, a touch of castor sugar added helps get the in grained carp out if required.
muck and brass - cheddar
:-)

I have a (5ltr approx) tin of Waxoyl bought 20 years ago, still half full, great stuff, applied with a tooth brush to vunerable chassis members, items of garden furniture, play equipment, shed hinges etc etc.
muck and brass - johnny
Happy childhood memories of dunking hands into bit tin of swarfega to be 'like Dad'. Then agd about 16, started dipping hands into tub of hair gel instead, similar feeling but not quite the same.
Following a heavy shed-creosoting session, my gran always rubbed my hands with lard - felt horrid but it got the creosote off.
muck and brass - turbo11
Marigolds!-Yeah right and look like a big girls blouse.I prefer surgical gloves!
muck and brass - Number_Cruncher
The thin surgical type gloves are also very good if you are working outside on a vehicle at this time of year - it's amazing how much warmer your fingers stay!

Number_Cruncher
muck and brass - No FM2R
>>A good substitute is to use washing up liquid and washing powder - it works just as well and is cheaper.

Been there, done that. Mostly because if I had been able to afford luxuries like Swarfega then I wouldn't have been lying under some wreck of a car for hours. But damn didn't it hurt those little cuts around the bottom of your finger nails.

Gunk (engine cleaner) got the worst of it off, then followed by the liquid/powder combination sorted out sufficiently that I would be allowed in the local pub. I probably didn't have clean nails for 5 years though.

On the original subject, £1.4 seems surprisingly small for such a well-used product. Maybe he spent a load.
muck and brass - mike hannon
We (in the printing trade) used to use Rozalex - pink squidgy stuff that worked well on ink and dye.
I washed my hands at work with that and carbolic soap for about 20 years and now my hands are softer than my partner's, who has used 'beauty' products all her life!
muck and brass - Mapmaker
Parafin & Washing up liquid is an alternative recipe.

>>On the original subject, £1.4 seems surprisingly small for such a well-used product. Maybe he spent a load.

More likely he had a good tax adviser, and had given the rest away before he died to avoid IHT. In an ideal world, you would leave a will with a value of just under 300k.
muck and brass - Pugugly {P}
Washing up liquid damages your skin. There are compunds in it that break down fats and oils - things that your skin needs to keep in good condition. I found out the hard way a few years ago about this when I regularly cleaned my hands with a certain well known brand after walking t'dogs.
muck and brass - kingfisher
I always have a squirt of washing up liquid in the bath water,have done for years...I don't want soft skin thanks.
muck and brass - Dynamic Dave
And now back to motoring please.

DD.