Option packages - NickS
Hi everyone,

Read another thread on here (relating to Sunroofs i think) someone mentioned the VW Luxury pack II for less than £300 (incl rain sensing wipers, auto headlights etc).

Does anyone know if it is possible to have these packs retro-fitted at a dealer. My GOlf is only an 'S' and therfore only includes windows and wheels as standard and i would quite like some of these little luxuries, and for £300 seems quite affordable.

TIA
Option packages - Peter S
It's often possible, but not usually cost effective. Dealer labour rates of £100+ per hour generally see to that.

There are some exceptions though; I had heated mirrors retro fitted to a MINI (only needed to change the glasses as the wiring was in place) for around £20 - the option price was around £50 I think.
Option packages - Wally Zebon
Auto lights and wipers will need a new rear view mirror (best get the auto dimming one whilst your at it), a chunk of wiring and a new windscreen (with the lens in it).
There's probably more needed as well as ECU reprogramming.
I doubt very much that a garage will retro fit these for £300. Parts alone will cost more than that.

Option packages - blue_haddock
You will have to buy all the parts via the parts counter then pay to have them fitted - it will cost you a lot more than £300. When being built at the factory it is only marginal extra work to fit the upgraded items but to retro fit them is an expensive job.
Option packages - JohnM{P}
My experience with these gizmos on my Golf is as follows:
- rain sensing wipers - at first I thought they were excellent, but now, at 31k, they irritate me intensely. They don't work in mist or light spray - the old slow, medium, fast intermittant was much better. Perhaps a fault has developed - when it finally gets to a service again, I'll get them checked
- auto dimming mirror - works effectively and unobtrusively (but when passenger map light is on, mirror does not dim, and there's no manual dip nor secondary reflection capability...)
- auto headlights - work well, I've only overridden them a few times.
- home lighting function - good (but if only I got a quid for every kind person who's reminded me that 'You've left your lights on'...). This is adjustable via the Convenience menu - not sure if that is only with the Highline computer option.

In short, don't worry...!