Lake District - Parking - tack
Just got back from the Lake District today after a week to blow the cobwebs away. Took lots of spending money, but blew most of it on parking fees!

Doesn't matter what time of year it is, pay up!
Sunday? Pay up!
Bank Holiday? Pay up!
Parking spot 20 miles from anywhere, rutted and pot-holed, pay up! (true!)
Supermarket car park to stock up on Kendal Mint Cake and humbugs, pay up!
Minimum fee £2 for up to 2 hours, you can't put in 50p for 1/2 hour.....no change given.
Was afraid to pull up behind a queue of traffic in case I had to cough up another 2 quid.

Lake District - Parking - bell boy
go on the coach for 5 days and stay in a nice hotel with no parking worries,its all the tourists i hate, get rid off them and the motorbikes and i love the place (when it isnt raining).
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Lake District - Parking - Baskerville
If any part of the country needs congestion charging, the Lake District is it (for non-residents anyway). We should build a massive underground park and ride near Kendal. But we're too tight and people would call it an attack on freedom, so we'll just ruin the place instead.
I am sure that summer in the Lakes area must be an absolute nightmare. However, we are in the tail end of winter at present, there was very little traffic around for the whole week. That's why I went in February and not July/August. On the B roads, and even some of the A roads, you could drive for miles and hardly see anything else on the road.

I didn't want to go on a coach tour where you got off, took a couple of snaps and jumped back on the coach again for the next quick stop. If I wanted that, I would become Japanese.

Like most people, I like the comfort of my own car and like to arrive/depart places as I desire, not the coach driver. Having a car gets you to those otherwise inaccessible places. I have no objection to paying a parking fee in a town, but I think it should be equitable and flexible. Arriving somewhere 20 miles from ANYWHERE else to find a ticket machine at the entrance to a scrappy clearing called a "Car Park" is just taking it a bit too far. Even in the heart of London there are places you can park for free on a bank holiday, a Sunday and even from 1pm on a Saturday.

Interesting to hear that Lakes people hate tourists. Is that why there are all those shops selling useless tourist tat? why every other house in the area appears to be a hotel or B&B? I thought I was contributing to the wealth of the area when I ate out most nights in local restaurants, or purchased local produce for my lunch, as well as enjoying the stay.
Lake District - Parking - Citroënian {P}
>>Interesting to hear that Lakes people hate tourists. Is that why there are all those shops selling useless tourist tat?

It's because they hate them that they sell useless tat. If they liked them, they'd sell useful nice things :-)

There are too many cars trying to occupy a few roads in the Lakes, and there's not enough parking in places where people want to be. But then it's such a beautiful area that building more spaces/roads would spoil things. And I'm all for building roads and car parks elsewhere in the country.

We spend a lot of time in Keswick and the bus service is good enough to get us to where we want to be most of the time, even down into Rosthwaite/Grasmere. That said, we're fortunate to have our own place there to leave the cars and are fit enough to walk to/from the bus station.

Also joined the National Trust which makes a contribution to the park upkeep, but also gives free parking in the NT car parks. Worth the money, no doubt.

There's long been talk of resurrecting the train line into Keswick from Penrith. If they did and the prices were somewhere near sensible, and the trains ran on time and weren't mobile bins, it would be a pleasant way to get into the park. Doesn't look likely though.

It's a shame that people are put off the Lakes because of the crowding, but then it leaves more room for us that are prepared to make the effort!!

Lee -- Do you have any conceivable reason for even getting up in the morning?
I did hear from a local that since they put in the speed restrictions for boats on Windermere Lake, the local authority there is losing about £600k per year in income as a lot of businesses which rely on the lake have pulled out. Also told that the authority is going to tax boats on their horse power rather than their size to make up for lost income (so the boat tours will suffer) Maybe that's why parking fees are hefty?

As I mentioned earlier, I have no objection to parking fees in general, just the inflexible nature of them in the Lakes. i.e. if you want to spend 1/2 hour here, 1/4 hour there, 3/4 hour elsewhere and another hour of two somewhere else....it is going to cost you £2 a pop everytime you park (or sometimes even £3.50)You are unable to pay "for time parked", as it were.

As a southern softy who thinks that even a summer breeze is bitterly cold and a good enough reason to don gloves, hat and a scarf, I would be aghast at the thought of waiting for more than 10 minutes (in the open air!) to jump on a bus to take me somewhere.
Lake District - Parking - Robert J.
Also joined the National Trust which makes a contribution to the park upkeep, but also gives free parking in the NT car parks. Worth the money, no doubt.

Make the most of it. I had some bumf from the Trust a few months back trying to justify why they are going to start charging members for parking at Trust properties.

Lake District - Parking - Baskerville
>Interesting to hear that Lakes people hate tourists.

Not sure where you got that impression. I spend a lot of time there and don't find that at all. You have to remember that the car park charges pay for the maintenance of the landscape. Most car parks are owned either by the national park authority, or the National Trust, or the Forestry Commission, all of which keep the place in good shape and all of which cost a fortune. I see the car park charges as a charitable donation.

Incidentally National Trust car parks are free if you're a member and NT properties are much better than Little Chefs on a long journey.
Lake District - Parking - Avant
Next time go to the well-named Eden Valley, between the Lakes and the Yorkshire Dales. You can drive for miles on B-roads and hardly see another car. Start in the hills above Kirkby Stephen and follow the river via Appleby - Lazonby - Armathwaite - through to Carlisle.

There are still parts of Britain that tourists en masse don't know about.
Lake District - Parking - Altea Ego
Pah - go to the pembroke coast and (outside school holidays) walk on your own private beach.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Lake District - Parking - plecostomus
Better still go to Scotland - better moutains, better scenery & you can have a dozen or so munroes to yourself on a weekday.
Lake district rapidly becoming a theme park for the downsizers and second homers.

Might have to put up with them gloating about the rugby though!
Lake District - Parking - Collos25
Caithness and Sutherland the most beautiful place on earth after the Yorkshire dales of course.
Lake District - Parking - tyro
Caithness and Sutherland the most beautiful place on earth a . . .

And the roads can be pretty empty too. I drove about 60 miles in Sutherland on good roads (some single track, some dual track) a couple of years ago without meeting a single vehicle. It wasn't the dead of winter or the middle of the night either - a pleasant spring evening if I remember rightly.
Lake District - Parking - helicopter
I have attached below a link to the National Trust page regarding discussion at their AGM on parking charges.It seems the issue will not go away and non members will increasingly be charged for parking and they are looking to charge some members in the future.

tinyurl.com/pc5mw

As SWMBO and myself are lifetime members at a cost of over £1,000, I look forward to the first time someone tries to charge me for parking at one of their sites.
h, thanks for that link makes interesting reading.

I love the way that all green issues are resolved includes extracting more and more money from the punters. From the govt to the NT it seems the only idea they have has the "unfortunate" side effect of filling their coffers.

Nice.
Lee -- Without bills, magazines and junk mail, there is no mail
Lake District - Parking - NowWheels
I love the way that all green issues are resolved includes
extracting more and more money from the punters. From the
govt to the NT it seems the only idea they have
has the "unfortunate" side effect of filling their coffers.

In a market economy, using "price signals" to discourage particular activities doesn't seem to me to be an illogical way of doing things. Increase the cost of doing the undesirable thing, and in theory some people then switch to alternatives.

Unfortunately, free market theories don't always work in paractice. Have you got any better ideas on how to resolve the problem of congestion around the lakes?

(Not being sarky, just wondering if theres seems a better way).
Lake District - Parking - Andrew-T
"Using 'price signals' to discourage particular activities doesn't seem to me to be an illogical way of doing things. Increase the cost of doing the undesirable thing, and in theory some people then switch to alternatives"

Where people's cars are involved, they hardly ever do switch, but just whinge about extortion. E.g. adding 5p/litre tax to fuel (but of course this hurts international haulage firms).

"Unfortunately, free market theories don't always work in practice. Have you got any better ideas on how to resolve the problem of congestion around the lakes?"

If more cars come to an area than it can reasonably absorb, the only possible solution is something like Park and Ride. It's easy to say that a National Park should be Open to All, but it can't be when they bring their cars as well.
Lake District - Parking - Altea Ego
"Have you got any better ideas on how to resolve the problem of congestion around the lakes?"

Now this is radical:

Frequent, Reliable, well priced, integrated public transport system.

Thats not a "twice a day, cancelled on wet sundays, sorry no dogs sir" system BTW

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
"Now this is radical: Frequent, Reliable, well priced, integrated public transport system"

Come on, RF - you know that is pie in the sky. We used to have a Fairly Frequent, Reasonably Reliable, Acceptably Priced, (perhaps Poorly Integrated) system, but as soon as cars became affordable most people switched over, and realised they could make new, otherwise difficult or impossible journeys. Then some more decided to live further from work than they felt like riding their bike. Any F R W-P I S would have to be Very Cheap to persuade many people of the joys of waiting at bus stops in the rain, tolerating Tube trains, etc.etc. - and simply uneconomic unless 90% subsidised. It won't happen.
A-T
Radical thought No.2
How's about taking the extra money from these "green initiatives" and ploughing even a little bit of it into public transport? I seem to recall some fat fighty bloke in '97/'98 telling me there were great plans for public transport including super buses, integrated transport systems and better service for all.

A decade on and what have we got? £160 day return from Leeds to London on the train. Thanks. I don't want to, but haven't got much choice but to take the car.

There's too many cars for the roads we've got. Not enough spaces. Poorly funded councils relying on parking and especially parking fine revenue to pay for local services with a budget that is guaranteed to drop by 2.5% per year, year on year.

There needs to be some radical thinking from someone high enough up to make a difference, and by radical I don't mean revenue. It's broken and with the current administration, there doesn't seem to be any indication of how it's going to get better.
Cit - "There's too many cars for the roads we've got. Not enough spaces. Poorly funded councils relying on parking and especially parking fine revenue to pay for local services with a budget that is guaranteed to drop by 2.5% per year, year on year.
There needs to be some radical thinking from someone high enough up to make a difference, and by radical I don't mean revenue. It's broken and with the current administration, there doesn't seem to be any indication of how it's going to get better"

You're absolutely right, the fundamental problem is the conflict between population, affluence and available space. Until the radical thinking comes from the men/women in the street, it doesn't look as if it can be imposed by politicians. So far, most people seem prepared to keep adding their tiny bit to the congestion.

A-T - I think we're not far off each other's views really. I love it when I can leave the car at home, but public transport doesn't allow me to do this for all the reasons TVM implicitly indicated/Yes, perhaps if more people used public transport there would be more funding and eventually a better service. But I still think £160 from Leeds to London is an outrage and does nothing but push people back into their cars.- It's a similar story with local trains. From home to Leeds on the train is £3 return, but to train to Manchester which is closer it costs five times as much. Net result is me taking the car for trips to Manchester when I'd _much_ prefer to take the train but the extra cost makes it a silly choice.
-
Behaviour at ground level needs to change but the catalyst (and strategy) must surely come from government.
TVM>>
Frequent, Reliable, well priced, integrated public transport system.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Lake District - Parking - tr7v8
Yup never keen on the lake district anyway although my ex was.
Prefer the other coast, however went to Devon last year in Sept. found loads of rip-offs such as £ 6 parking for the day in Paignton & high charges everywhere else.
It's fairly obvious that in a free market economy I'll vote with my feet and holiday abroad & leave all of the local councils whining & muttering. Even in city centres in france I rarely pay high charges, get better weather & service so no competition.
Lake District - Parking - turbo11
Its to discourage car use.As a keen walker i agree.The lake district is about walking,not clogging up the roads.After 5 days in ambleside the only time we used our car was when we arrived and when we left.The rest of the time we walked,usually 15 to 20 miles a day.
Lake District - Parking - Union Jack
"The rest of the time we walked,usually 15 to 20 miles a day."

IIRC, the average distance allegedly walked by visitors to the Lakes was once quoted in a survey as 300 yards, so Turbo 11 is certainly doing more than his fair share in keeping the average as "high" as it is!

I'm also sure that it has been suggested for the Lakes, and tried elsewhere, that a form of one-off "season ticket" should be available for use in all car-parks in a given area. Presumably, however, the prospective administrative nightmare and the clash of all the diverse vested interests would militate against its introduction, despite the potential advantages.

Jack
Lake District - Parking - Roly93
Who are the key culprits of these parking charges ? Is it the National Trust 'Wehrmacht' by any chance ?
Lake District - Parking - daveyjp
Despite living only a couple of hours from the Lakes it's somewhere I only go near when getting to Scotland, but this post has now probably put me off for good!

I must point out that our recent experience of Cornwall and parking is the same - pay, pay, pay and not insignificant amounts. Quite often a car park is the first thing you come across and then you have to walk to the destination. I haven't been to Cornwall too often so have no idea if I will be staying 10 minutes or all day - to charge me a minimum of £3 each time I stop is ludicrous. Last Autumn we were in Bude and the car park was still charging £3 all day and it was empty. The weather wasn't good, but we would have liked a walk on the beach, but drove straight out. Ironically the on street parking restrictions were suspended for the winter so we parked up and went on our walk. If this car park had offered an hour for 50p we would have paid.

I've just come back from a couple of days in Scarborough, all parking charges on Marine Drive are suspended during the winter and parking on double yellows on the front is permitted. Many on street parking restrictions in other coastal honey pot tourist areas only operate March to the end of September. Guess where I'll keep going?