Baggy Corsas and FSH - Richard Hall
Just been to look at a turbodiesel Corsa on behalf of a friend. 1994, 2 owners, 95K but a full service history, private sale at £1,995. It looked lovely - professionally valeted, and not so much as a stone chip. Last serviced one month and 300 miles ago.

But... the engine was leaking oil from every seal and gasket (blocked crankcase breather, or worn rings?), the front brake discs were badly scored, the brake pedal went almost to the floor, the throttle cable was almost seized, and the gearchange linkage was so worn that I never did find fifth. Also one tyre was down to the legal limit, and one a little way the wrong side of it. This car should never have left the workshop.

Now for all I know, the owner could have told the garage to ignore all the faults (including the dangerous ones) and just change the oil to get the stamp in the service book ready for sale. But this is the second car I have seen recently with immaculate bodywork and FSH, but which drove like a 300,000 mile ex minicab. It makes me wonder whether a full history is worth paying a premium for after all.
Re: Baggy Corsas and FSH - Honest John
Leave well alone because on the 1.5 litre Isuzu diesel in this car, the brake vacuum pump (which needs replacing) and alternator are in unit and the combined unit costs about £800. (Other Backroomers please correct me if I'm wrong here.)

HJ
Re: Baggy Corsas and FSH - Dave B
Yep, spot on. The alternators cost a fortune. The rest of the engine is expensive to work on too.
Re: Baggy Corsas and FSH - alf
That sounds about right HJ, but not all is doom and gloom, my workmates alternator went on his Astra Diesel - similar set-up and he got the unit repaired for around £150.