Engine longevity - plecostomus
I've got a 99 MkIV Golf 1.8T 20V on 110k motorway miles - & along the lines of a rec from HJ in 1999, I have changed the oil/filter every 5K with Halfords fully synth (and coolant, waterpump and belt every 50K).

How long should or could this engine last?

It was also used on passat,A3,A4,A6,TT, Leon,Skoda etc. - must be lots of them about - is the turbo fragile? Anyone experienced failures? Its seems to me that its only just run in - now returns 40mpg regularly - or am i just deluded?

Incidentally its never been anywhere near a VAG dealership- sourced in Holland and maintained indepently - this is the way forwards I recon
Engine longevity - frazerjp
If you leave the engine to idle for at least a couple of minutes after a motorway run or any run which involves using high revs, it prevents the turbo being cooked up by its oil after it spins round whilst hot.

Something HJ has mentioned many times.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
....oh... in which case my turbo is already toast - I live only 1000yds from the motorway and missed that gem from HJ and do not leave the engine ticking over. hm..
Engine longevity - Hugo {P}
Firstly, a turbo failure may not be the end of the world in any case.

Secondly, 110 for most engines is not a huge issue, even petrol ones. Regulars here will yawn when I mention a friend of mine who ran a calton 1.8l for 197k before the engine died.

With regular servicing your engine is probably around 55% throught its useful life. If I am proved wrong, then a decent low mileage replacement from a reputable source may be a very cost effective route for you, especially with the car being relitively new.
Engine longevity - Navara Van man
If you look after it then who knows. one of the neibours from our road has a F reg volvo 740 estate owned from new that has done 225,000 and is still using the same battery and runing gear other than new shocks, exhaust and tyres and a standard 12 month service.

I tend to sell on my vehicles after twoor three yers of use or at five years old, however the mielage is high on these and the desire is to avoid large repair bils.
Engine longevity - Roger Jones
Treat it well and it should be good for another 100k at least, surely. I've driven a W126 MB 300 SE with 370k on the clock -- no rebuild, no gaskets changed, no leaks, nothing ever broke, just proper servicing on a rigorous schedule and oil changes at 6k on the dot. From the sound and feel, you might have thought it was well under 100k.
I wonder whether this arguement about 5 valves per cylinder therefore more damage from timing belt failure is true?
From the posts on this board there really has been a quantum shift in quality of engineering. In the old days my dad kept cars going for 10-15 years but they usually needed a couple of new engines. Rust never a problem due to aeronautical standard "Ensis" anti-rust treatment.

Nowadays we seem to spend the £1000 on new brake discs, aircon components and catalysts instead! progress indeed
Engine longevity - mikeyb
Might be wrong, but I had an A4 1.8 20V which I think is the same engine less the turbo. Bought it at Auction at 4 years old and 120K and full history every 10K. Ran it for a couple of years just with an anual service and was still running fine when I got rid of it, and had about 155K on at the time. To be honest I wish I had kept it to see how long it lasted, so based on your more vigourous servicing plan I expect that 200K is achievable
Engine longevity - Pat L
I would imagine that most modern (post c1990) engines are good fro at least 150k if they are properly maintained. I have a 1998 BMW 318i Touring with 174k and it's had no engine work at all. Original clutch, gearbox, even exhaust! Still looks and runs very well. (And this replaced a Merc 190E 1.8 which I sold with 220k and was still going as smooth as silk!)

As for my 2000X Audi A4 TDi with 66k, well that's just run-in!

Pat
Engine longevity - DrS
Run it until it breaks, and throw it away!
Then you will become Back Room expert on how long engines last!
Respec'!
Engine longevity - J Bonington Jagworth
"How long should or could this engine last?"

Almost indefinitely, if you change the oil every 5k! It will almost certainly outlast the rest of it...

FWIW, I saw a 1967 (E-suffix) Volvo P1800 on my way to work yesterday. It was in good order and reminded me of its 2 million mile cousin in the US. Since it came from the era of 5-digit odometers, a look inside probably wouldn't reveal much, but if I see the owner, I'll certainly ask.
Engine longevity - Cardew
"How long should or could this engine last?"
Almost indefinitely, if you change the oil every 5k! It will
almost certainly outlast the rest of it...

So will it last even longer if you change the oil after every trip?
.. there was also some HJ advice to leave the non-synthetic oil supplied for 10K, THEN use regualar fully synth oil changes

Anybody enlighten me as to why this could or would work better than just changing it after 5K with sythetic?
Engine longevity - Altea Ego
Because you do actaully need a teeny bit a wear in an engine to get everything properly bedded down and matching.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Engine longevity - Hugo {P}
Because you do actaully need a teeny bit a wear in
an engine to get everything properly bedded down and matching.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

In fact I remember an old Top Gear piece about the early Golf GTIs running better after some 30 or 40k miles. What TVM says makes sense as the components will wear together to create optimum running fits.

H
Engine longevity - barchettaman
Yep, I remember that too. They reckoned as they got older they got faster.
Although my mate´s Mark II Golf Gti 16V isn´t that fast now, not since it blew up at 180 KMH on the Autobahn.
Ah but whats the difference between acquiring this "tiny bit of wear" over 30K (by changing the oil!) rather than 15K (by not!), for example extending the engine life from 200k to 215K

I'm happy to admit I may be wrong, but the explaination given convinces neither me nor my engineer mates. Surely wear is wear?
Engine longevity - J Bonington Jagworth
"Ah but whats the difference between acquiring this "tiny bit of wear" over 30K (by changing the oil!) rather than 15K (by not!), for example extending the engine life from 200k to 215K"

Because it doesn't stop wearing at that point, so you don't add 15k, you double 200k.

I was visiting a garage-owning acquaintance some years back, and he had a VW on the lift that had died from black sludge. Trouble is, he said, too many owners think these things don't need servicing...

I have to admit that I don't really get the counter-arguments to frequent oil changes. They're cheap, quick and easy, and do nothing but good!
Engine longevity - alan kearn
Cheap to change? not if you use VAG dealer supplied TDI PD oil
Engine longevity - Roger Jones
Oil's the stuff wot stops yer motor destroyin itself. Oil's strong when it's new and gets weaker as it's used. Ergo, changing it before it gets too weak is a good idea, no? And changing it before tnere's any chance of it being seriously degraded is an even better idea, yes?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=13
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=34
www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Getting a main dealer to change your oil is gross waste of money. If you have a choice, do it yourself or go to Kwik-Fit, ATS, etc.
Engine longevity - PeterRed
To use a cliché, changing your own oil "is not rocket science". It doesn't take long and you can get 5 litres of fully synthetic for about £25 if you shop around. Add in an oil filter and a pair of disposable gloves and it will be less that £35.

And importantly, you'll know it's been done properly with decent oil!!
Engine longevity - frazerjp
How long does the Endura-e engine last in my Ford Ka, if the oil was changed every year? I know it'll become more tappety happy as the milege piles on, but i do about 6-7k a year with a mixture of journeys. Do Ford still use bulk oil HJ metions in his book? W5/30 wasnt it?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Engine longevity - AlastairW
The Endura E is a very long lived engine, cos there is nowt to go wrong. I ran a 1.1 Fiesta (HCS engine as it was called back then) up to 93,000 miles. Yes it a. was very tappetty and b. drank oil due to a leak, but I got rid of the car cos of rust, not the engine.
The leak meant I had to put in a pint every 500 miles, but at least this meant the oil was always fresh!
Engine longevity - Xileno {P}
Engines usually outlive the physical or economic life span of the car. I doubt any car is scapped these days due to engine failure, apart from maybe cambelt problems, which are usually owner negligence as the car drops to its fifth or sixth owner.
So - still no answers as to why a non-synthetic helps the engine bed in and prolongs life compared with new synthetic every 5-6K?

I have the same view when marathon running - I use the first 2 miles as the warm up - doesn't need any special treatment?
Engine longevity - Scotiawhiskers
My girlfriend has a Ka - 1998, one lady owner from new, services approx every 10,000 or annually. Getting a bit tappety now, occasionally dripping a bit of oil, occasionally blowing a little smoke on startup. But then it's done 160,000+ miles, with just a clutch, 1 sump gasket, 1 exhaust, 2 throttle sensors and associated wiring loom as replacement parts. Doesn't get thrashed from cold (though once warm it does get used hard sometimes) and does plenty of long runs. I'm expecting it to get to about 200,000 before it has to come apart for anything, though the bodywork may not survive long enough for that. May well need a pair of sills for this year's MOT. Still giving 40+mpg and reliable service though.

Just goes to prove - regular servicing, plus letting em warm up and warm down will make a motor last well.
Engine longevity - DP
I think that a well maintained engine in most cars will do 200,000 miles. Usually it's the car itself falling to bits or something expensive failing that sends a car to the scrapper.

My dad's old Mondeo 2.0 had well over 200k on the original mechanicals when the (original) clutch started slipping and effectively wrote the car off. It didn't smoke, rattle or knock, and still pulled like a train.

Cheers
DP
Engine longevity - Scotiawhiskers
My girlfriend has a Ka - 1998, one lady owner from new, services approx every 10,000 or annually. Getting a bit tappety now, occasionally dripping a bit of oil, occasionally blowing a little smoke on startup. But then it's done 160,000+ miles, with just a clutch, 1 sump gasket, 1 exhaust, 2 throttle sensors and associated wiring loom as replacement parts. Doesn't get thrashed from cold (though once warm it does get used hard sometimes) and does plenty of long runs. I'm expecting it to get to about 200,000 before it has to come apart for anything, though the bodywork may not survive long enough for that. May well need a pair of sills for this year's MOT. Still giving 40+mpg and reliable service though. Just goes to prove - regular servicing, plus letting em warm up and warm down will make a motor last well.

Updated info - still tappetty but running generally sweet, passed 3 MOTs but needed quite a bit of work for this one. They've said for her to take it in and they'll give it a once over first next year to see how economic it will be. But still doing reliable daily service at 185,000 and counting.

Engine longevity - Avant

Welcome back and thanks for the update.

The Ka is much maligned: if they are as rust-prone and unreliable as some make out, how come there are so many pre-2000 ones still running around? And they're a hoot to drive. SWMBO had one in 1998 and elder daughter had two in a row soon after that: I don't think we've had anything as nippy as that since. And they are surprisingly relaxed at motorway speeds.

Engine longevity - slowdown avenue
just saw on ebay a 1.3 1999 fiesta ex driving school car and dual fuel with 275,000 miles
Engine longevity - George Porge
tinyurl.com/cbmd9h

VW Driver mags editor Neil Birkits similar car has done 230K with regular track use as well as commuting duties. See project gti

Nothing to worry about if serviced correctly
Engine longevity - Woodspeed
I should think the engine is the last of your worries. Just "retired" an 86 Scirocco at 329k. Apart from the odd rocker cover gasket, water pump, hoses, 2 starters, 3 alternators, no problem with the "engine" ever. On Mobil 1 till 200k then Halfords fully Synth after, changed around 10-12k miles.
However, the cost of big items like steering rack, seat repairs, clutches, suspension etc would have far outweighed the cost of a new engine. What would worry me is a turbo or supercharger getting on a bit that lets go and ingests itself, or the cost of repairing or servicing those parts before they go bang. Or an ECU going pop that costs over a grand would write the car off.