VW Sharan VR6 Head Gasket Blown - Vim Fuego
Hi,
I suspect that the Head Gasket has blown as my Sharan engine VR6 temp starts to rise above normal after about 10 mins of starting. The overflow bottle starts to bubble. Apart from these symptoms is there a quick way of determining if it's a definite head gasket problem apart from the obvious ( milky oil etc, which there is none)?
VW Sharan VR6 Head Gasket Blown - Roberson
A garage can perform something commonly referred to as a sniff test. They'll use a special piece of equipment to detect hydrocarbons in the coolant. I'm not that up on these things, so someone may correct me on that one. Is there any coolant loss?
I think so. There's an awful lot of bubbling in the pipes when I switch the ignition off
When the HG failed on my Polo a last weekend, although there was no overheating, the failure resulted in a pressurised cooling system, identified by a hissing expansion bottle. I find it odd there is no mayo on the filler oil filler cap.
Actually, as a second thought, you could look for the wet spark plug. Well, mine was wet, but in any case, the plug which is a different colour (or significantly cleaner than the rest) will indicate which cylinder in to which the coolant is leaking. But I suspect that this may be dependant upon how severe the failure is.
VW Sharan VR6 Head Gasket Blown - Aprilia
Vim Fuego

You posted about this a couple of weeks back, didn't you?

From what you described I can't think its anything other than a blown gasket. Stick it on Ebay with a fair description and see if anybody wants it as a 'project'.
Hi Aprilia,
I did post it a couple of weeks back but I've managed to get it started now. I just wanted to see if anything had changed with the car and these were the symptoms I came up with.
VW Sharan VR6 Head Gasket Blown - bell boy
hi Vim Fuego bigtony had the definative answer for you on another site, as aprillia and myself said previously please shoot it, to someone who is greedy and reckons a fix is quick and easy and chep an internet auction site is ideal for this purpose dont lie dont tell ALL the truth and let the keyboard clickers with more money than sense buy it.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Thanks Gents, sorry to be a nuisance, I think I'm just grasping at straws. Ho Hum