new car running in - sandgrounder
hi for the first time i am about to purchase a new suzuki swift 1.5 vvt.Has any one any advise about the best way to run in a new car and does the variable valve timing have any bearing on this.
thanks
john
new car running in - Aprilia
These seem to be selling very strongly by all accounts.

I would just drive it sensibly - no labouring, no thrashing. Drive it gently when cold. Go easy on brakes and cornering for first couple hundred miles until pads and tyres have settled down.
Go easy on gearshifting - i.e. don't ram it into gear - let it drop in. Gearboxes are often a bit notchy until you've covered a couple thousand miles. Clutch might feel a bit fierce until its bedded in too.

Remember to check fluid levels regularly for the first few days - just in case someone at the factory didn't fully tighten a clip or hose union (it happens!).

Nice little chain-cam DOHC engine. VVT does not really have any bearing on things. You won't feel the full benefit of VVT until you rev beyond about 4000rpm (when full 30-deg timing shift kicks in).

new car running in - sandgrounder
thanks Aprilia
didnt know about the chain driven cams obiously drawn from the bike
range of engines
new car running in - Aprilia
thanks Aprilia
didnt know about the chain driven cams obiously drawn from the
bike
range of engines

LOL! Its a bit different to one of their bike engines!
Its an updating of their M15A engine which has been around for a few years and is (AFAIK) very well proven with no major problems. I don't know a great deal about Suzuki's but I've never heard anyone say a bad word about their reliability and quality of engineering. I noticed that in Japan they are very popular (the Swift is called the 'Cultus' over there).

I think the Swift really has the 'Mini' marketing people worried - have you seen the 'fake Mini' advert on the TV? The Swift 'out-Minis' the Mini, IMHO. I have driven a 1.5VVT and although not quite as fast as a 1.6 Mini it is more comfortable and doesn't have that horrible bouncy ride or all the squeaky trim!
new car running in - bell boy
good sensible advice,i"m in the old school and know all this, its just a pity (in my opinion obviously) that things arent passed down from father to son anymore .
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
new car running in - Armitage Shanks {p}
A few more words here -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=44