Civic Type-R - Dave
Has anyone driven one of these? If so what do you think of them?

Cheers

Dave
Re: Civic Type-R - markymarkn
I think there's a review of this car in this months EVO magazine.

Might be worth a look.

Cheers

Mark.
Re: Civic Type-R - Andy
Dave - There's a comparison of the TypeR with the new Toyota Corolla T-Sport in this month's Top Gear mag.
Basically, Honda is more fun, wilder, more raw. It's also noisy (esp tyre roar) and not very refined.
Toyota not quite as quick (0 -60 in 7.4 measured) but more civilised and quieter. They reckon it's more suited to the 'sensible hooligan'!
Re: Civic Type-R - Mazza
I would have let you know but the Honda garage that I visited and left my details with never 'phoned me back so I took out a 325 compact for a spin (and ordered one on import - their loss).

Perhaps I looked too much like a hooligan!?
Re: Civic Type-R - Ronnie Courtney
"Perhaps I looked too much like a hooligan!?"

Mazza - If you didn't before, you *apparently* will before long - as soon as you've taken delivery, and completed the BMW courses outlined inthe current thread on "Toyota Anti-theft Deterrent"!

Vive la difference - in both cars and show room style, and enjoy the BMW.

Ronnie
Re: Civic Type-R - Andy P
Hopefully, Driven should be testing the Type-R against the Corolla and the Clio 172 tonight (?)

Andy
Re: Civic Type-R - Honest John
There's a road test of the Civic Type R on this website, conducted on the Isle of Man on unrestricted roads, cleared by the wonderful IOM police of any members of the public. My car had a rev limiter problem. I kept hitting it at 7,400 rpm when it shouldn't have come in until 8,000. Nice car, but I prefer the handling of the SEAT Leon 20VT.

HJ
Okay, guys, correction. It's not clear in the road test index that Honda Civic 3 door includes the Type R, but it's in there.

HJ
And, oh, yes, how fast was I driving? Put it this way, they let us go at 15 second intervals, but I managed to delay mine to about 25 seconds. I still caught and overtook the first car in front of me and could have also passed the second, but it would have been hairy and in full view of those nice policemen. Quite pleased to make up a 40 second lead in six miles, though.

HJ
Re: Civic Type-R - jack
It won hands down on the Driven show tonight on Channel 4.
Re: Civic Type-R - Andy
It depends what you want. If performance is all, and you don't mind your teeth being shaken loose over bumps, then the TypeR is no doubt the one.
I prefer a bit more 'refinement', a brisk well appointed hatch which can get a move on (when I can find a road that's not been infested wuth cas-cameras!).

But then I'm biased, having recently bought a T-Sport!

I have to say I wasn't impressed with the 'panel' of young hooligans they chose for the judging. Now if they'd chosen someone a bit more mature......like me.........
Re: Civic Type-R - Richard P
Certainly looks like an excellent car, but I will hold off until they put a 2L turbo diesel in with about say 150HP and 350Nm torque :)
Re: Civic Type-R - boost
Had a recent test drive in a CTR and used to own an Integra, so here's a quick comparison.
The CTR is quicker 95% of the time - the new i-vtec system really sorts out bottom end power, plus the transition at 5,700rpm or whatever is much smoother. It was a @!#$ in the Integra when and extra 70bhp kicked in like a light switch mid corner.
Integra limited to 9,000rpm - CTR 8,500.
Traction is better in the Intregra probably due to the limited slip diff which they skimped on for the CTR. But it does have a nice 6-spd box to make up for it.
The Integra must be the best handling FWD car ever.
But the CTR is so much easier to drive than the Integra which you have to grab by the scruff of the neck and show it who's the daddy. Maybe the ~64%/36% weight distribution f/r had something to do with it!

The CTR is a total bargain if you can ignore the cheese wedge looks.
A two or three year old Integra will be at least 12k - the Civic is only 14k imported, 15k brokers4cars or 16k at the dealers. Plus 1k for air-con of course!
Plus lovely 3 years warranty - thrash it and enjoy! Oh and don't change the oil every 3 nanoseconds.

boost