Problems in Germany - bit of help please - paul45
All

just had a panicked phone call from a mate of mine in Germany. Long story short he was phoned in the middle of night (midnight last night) and told he had to back in the UK for an early morning meeting in Birmingham today.

He had been in the bar until about 11:00 last night having a few drinks and set off at 04:30 to catch his re-arranged flight. He was subsequently pulled over for speeding, breathalysed and found to be over the limit.

He was then taken to the local police station and jailed.

He has been told his options are to pay 3k euros or he could be incarcerated for up to 10 days. He has also been told that he cannnot drive in Germany for a year - which will have a major impact on his job. He has about 500 Euros on him but cannot lay access to funds for a few more days.

I've done the obvious and told him to get a brief - any other thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Problems in Germany - bit of help please - Bill Payer
Was he in Germany on business, working for a UK based employer?
Problems in Germany - bit of help please - paul45
Yes he was on business in Germany and he works as an independent contractor for a US/UK aerospace company.
Problems in Germany - bit of help please - Collos25
As a German resident I can tell you there is no answer except what he has been told ,no sympathy whatso ever he should know the laws.
Problems in Germany - bit of help please - Altea Ego
What is German for "deep in the doo doo"?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Tief scheisse
Problems in Germany - bit of help please - Pugugly {P}
The only suggestion I can make is get a English speaking brief who might help him out of the immediate pickle....
Problems in Germany - bit of help please - barchettaman
or ´er sitzt ganz schoen in der Scheiße`

He´s in a bit of trouble.
I can find him the name of a bilingual lawyer, if he hasn´t already.
Problems in Germany - bit of help please - Bill Payer
If he's an Independant then he's probably on his own - I was hoping you were going to say he was a direct employee.
The british consulate in Dusseldorf will pay his fine under certain conditions.If he ignores the driving ban and returns to Germany and drives he would be looking at a lengthy prison sentence.German law is written in stone every offence has a punishment rich or poor that is what you will receive.
Problems in Germany - bit of help please - mare
Call the British Embassy / consulate?

That's what they are there for (i think).

Oh, and prepare for more vicarious flaming on behalf of your mate from all those perfect people on here. Whether he's broken the rules or not, he's one of us over there.

Good luck!