zafira auto box - chas
Can anyone give me info regarding reliability of the zafira auto box and any fuel economy figures for the 1.8 auto.I would also like to know the manufacturer of the auto box.
Re: zafira auto box - Robert
GM make their own auto boxes. Iv'e had experiences of them in numerous Cavaliers and Omega's with no adverse comments at all.
Re: zafira auto box - David Withers
Some Vauxhalls, including the later Cavaliers, were fitted with a first-class Japanese autobox (I can't remember the name). Were these made by a subsidiary of GM? I assumed they were an independent make, but can't be sure. I don't know what is fitted to the Zafira but I'm sure it will be a good'un.

The bottom line is the same -- Unlike Ford and some others, GM have never fitted a second-rate autobox. Their Hydramatic box was even used by Rolls-Royce. The proprietor of an transmission repair business once told me that GM boxes were very bad for his business!

The 1978 Royale Coupe that I ran for 11 years was fitted with the GM Strasbourg box and this was an absolute gem, even though it had only three forward ratios. It did fail on me but only because a radiator repairer managed to get some swarf into it via the oil cooler system (a long story for another day). When I stripped it for rebuild, I was amazed at the high quality of the engineering in it combined with some innovative but totally reliable cost saving ideas.
Re: zafira auto box - ian (cape town)
Never had a problem with boxes on the old commodore (250 000 miles), or my astra (a stripling, at 60 000 at present)
Re: zafira auto box - tonyh
chas. Aisin Warner Made in Japan.
HTH Tony H
Re: zafira auto box - ROBIN
Who owns Aisin Warner?
I've forgotten.
A fully loaded Zaffy,1'8 petrol engine,and autobox?
Dont go there.
On long runs you'll hate it,specially with the aircon on,and a roofbox.
This vehicle needs all of the 2.2 diesel engine,and even then the 125 BHP is nothing like enough.But for some reason the might of GM cant come up with a manual box that can take the torque.........
No,I dont actually beleive that either.