Cavalier SRI 16V 'surging' idle revs - bk.bas
Cav SRi 16V 1994 model 'hunts' when cold. Engine revs fluctuate up and down 1400-1700 RPM when idling, then suddenly drop away to nothing and engine stalls. Always re-starts and starts from cold, but this intermittent problem re-occurs regularly. Seems to go away when warm. Engine management shows no fault lights. I understand that there is no user adjustment possible to the injection/Siemens EMU, but could it be something thats easily sorted or is it an expensive throttle body (but why only when cold if so)or similar. As car is only worth £5-600 it's not worth it unless it's something I can fix myself/minimal garage time!
Cavalier SRI 16V 'surging' idle revs - Dynamic Dave
Sounds like a classic case of the Idle Speed Control Valve wants a clean.

Is this an ecotec engine? I *might* have a link to a website with some cleaning instructions.
thanks Dynamic Dave...yes it is the Ecotec...any additional info on valve cleaning welcome
Cavalier SRI 16V 'surging' idle revs - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Hi, what is happening is that the gunge in the valve is holding the revs above normal idle. The throttle is shut and the ECU sees that from the throttle position switch (TPS).On these (Simtec 56) and most management systems when you are driving and lift off to decelerate the ECU sees a closed signal from the TPS but notes that the engine speed is above 1300(ish) rpm so assumes deceleration and closes the injectors off. When the engine speed reaches the 1300rpm threshold it reinstates the injectors to 'catch the engine to idle. Your ISCV is holding the revs on or near this threshold, so, at 1700 it shuts the injectors, engine decelerates, dips below 1300 then the injectors go on and immediately the revs start to rise until about 1700 then the injectors go off again etc etc. Finally the ISCV frees itself and because the motor is fully retracted cannot wind the sticky valve open again fast enough to catch it.
Primary cause for all this gunge is lack of regular oil changes plus the small breather pipe between cam box and inlet manifold gets blocked and its too much of a fag for most people to clean as you have to move the throttle body off the manifold (makes it a doddle to clean), remove the banjo union from the manifold and clean it with a 1.5mm drill then fit a new pipe. Wash out the valve and the 'business end' of the motor and spray some WD40 into the end of the motor.
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Cavalier SRI 16V 'surging' idle revs - Dynamic Dave
I *might* have a link to a website with some cleaning instructions.

snipurl.com/mdxl

and

snipurl.com/mqya

and

snipurl.com/mqyd
Thanks Dave, fully understand what's needed now...Will do this once bought carb cleaner and gasket, and report back on success