Pontiac Fiero - Harry
I'm considering a kit car based on an 80's Pontiac Fiero. The company producing the kits reckon its a good base bue to the modular construction and fully treated space frame chassis.

Has anyone got any views about how they actually drive though? Be a shame to create something that looks spectacular if it drives like most other American cars! Any wisdom from owners or ex owners would be welcomed!
Re: Pontiac Fiero - Andrew Bairsto
They drive ok as long as you do not intend going over about 85mph(they do not go much faster)
A much better base is a corvette.
Re: Pontiac Fiero - Tony Cooper
I had a work colleague who built a Ferrari 308 replica using a Fiero. The interesting thing was he built it where he was working in southern Italy!
I thought the locals would cut his throat for sacrilege but they loved it! The local body shop sprayed it Ferrari red for him.
He needed to shorten the coil suspension springs and had the engine managment system re-chipped but I never had a ride in it so don't know about the performance.
The wheelbase dimensions of the Fiero are within a millimetre of the Ferrari dimensions and it did provide a practical car with attrative looks.
I have no shame about copying cars that I could never afford as I have built a replica Ford GT40.
Re: Your reply - Harry
Interesting! I do quite like the 308 / 328 shape. Whose GT40 kit did you use? This is also one I'm considering. I've looked at the web sites for the GTD and Tornado - both look cool. How does yours drive? Would there be space inside for somebody over 6' tall? They are pretty low!
Re: Your reply - Tony Cooper
My car is an early KVA Mk1 (Ken Atwell was the originator of GT40 replicas.)
I have owned it for some 10 years and it is currently undergoing a transaxle change. During the original building and the current upgrade the car has been "interesting" to work on! I have learned a hell of a lot of skills I never had before as I like to do things for myself.
Of the finished, running cars that I have seen the GTD40's are the best. The company seemed to source/develop things to take the painout of the home building of the vehicles. However, you will pay for them. Don't underestimate how much one of these cars will cost to COMPLETE. Not just build, but to finish to the appropriate standards. You might find a partially built one is a cheap entry route. Mind you, you will need to ask "why has the other guy given up"?
As for a 6 footer, yes it is possible, you can get doors with blobs "called Gurney domes" (after Dan Gurney who was also tall) molded in. In spite of how big the car looks outside, you will be surprised at how small it is inside.
Having said all that, they look one of the best cars ever produced. It does a 100 mph standing still!