2003, BMW 320D - Smoke! - CJay{P}
Just acquired an 03 plate 320D - bought it from an auction.

I don't know how long the car has been standing still for, but this morning when I got moving, quite a bit of whitish smoke could be seen from the rear view mirror. This lasted for perhaps 3 miles or so, then it disappeared. Oil levels are fine.

Have never owned a BMW diesel before - it seemed to pull when in all gears, and consumption (at least according to the OBC) seemed to 50+ for a 60 mile motorway journey. My only point of reference is a Merc C220CDI ? it felt as if the 320D is both faster, and definitely far more economical.

The car is still under warranty (till Aug 2006). Should I take it to a dealer to check it out, or is the smoke a 'characteristic' for a car that has sat still for some time?

I also have a sneaking suspicion that the former owner has installed a tuning box ? where should I look to see if it is the case?

I just don?t want to be caught by anyone for using non-declared ?performance enhancing? products!

Thanks in advance.
2003, BMW 320D - Smoke! - mss1tw
It's fine.
2003, BMW 320D - Smoke! - Pugugly {P}
This age may have come with the three service pack. I would be tempted to take it in to a dealer for an oilchange. There is a little known recall on the ABS pump on the 3 series that was only "fixed" when the car was taken to a dealer on antoher matter. White smoke could be water being burnt off (ifykwim. Whilst its in it may be worth having a look on its history. Fuel consumption sounds ok for a 320. Cracking motor, remember to "simmer" your turbo though !
Service history is fine. This has been a busy car. 86k on clock with five services. The last one carried out at 79k, only four months ago.

Water pump being burned off...?? Would the car survive a spirited drive on a motoway for 60 miles without a pump and behave normally?

what is 'ifykwim'?

Yes, I did let the turbo cool during the last few miles.

Sorry not water pump, if it had been standing as you say water may have collected in the exhaust boxes and the white smoke you saw was this being "burnt" off..If You Know I Mean !
Fire Service are keener than the Police about a methodical approach to preventative maintainance.
2003, BMW 320D - Smoke! - Happy Blue!
Not water pump, but condensation. Our diesel does the same when cold.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
2003, BMW 320D - Smoke! - mss1tw
Mine too, and that's 'only' a 2 litre. Huge trail of steam follows me down the road for the first mile.
2003, BMW 320D - Smoke! - Dude - {P}
>>>There is a little known recall on the ABS pump on the 3 series that was only "fixed" when the car was taken to a dealer on antoher matter.>>>

Sound advice from PU to take it into a main dealer before the warranty expires. The recall in question did not relate to the ABS pump, but to the fuel injection pump. From memory, I think it only affected the earlier production 150 bhp engines from their launch date in September 2001 until mid/late 2002, when they introduced the six speed gearbox, but still worth checking via your local main dealership.

Sorry my mistake, you're quite right !
Just checked the documents. Yes, the recall work has been done.
2003, BMW 320D - Smoke! - artful dodger {P}
CJay{P} for the future I suggest you add to your favourites:

www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-engine-smoke.php

This site interprets the different coloured smoke of diesels and give likely causes.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
2003, BMW 320D - Smoke! - Ian D
If it is an auction car it has probably done several 2 minute start stop routines being moved around/transported. After a long run leave it overnight and if the same problem is there the next morning take it to a dealer, if it is OK then its fine...