Tow bar electrics Peugeot 407 - barrywi
Has anyone had a towbar fitted by a Peugeot dealer? I have had twin sockets fitted for Caravan towing but there is no feed for the fridge ( should only be live when engine runs due to high current flow) have contacted dealer where fitted and they say they dont normally connect the fridge supply, just permanent power for the van when static. I know this is a bit obscure but does anyone know anything about this? The 407 has a CAN CAN wiring system (really!!!) so has to have a special box for the sockets to connect to.
Tow bar electrics Peugeot 407 - Collos25
The idea is that the fridge should run on its 12v when on the road and mains or gas when on site.We use a single plug in mainland Europe 13 pin the fridge supply is taken from a feed direct of the battery with an in line fuse.Checked with a friend who is an avid uk caravanner and his fridge works when under way somewhere on one of the towbar sites is the wiring diagram for what you require.Its nonsense to say the fridge is not connected you would have some very soft butter and bad milk if you travelled for a day in southern France.I think they are telling you porkies
It should be wired through pin 6 on the supplementary socket
Tow bar electrics Peugeot 407 - RichardW
And usually fitted with a relay switched by the alternator output, so that it is only live when the engine's running - fridge pulls about 8 amps IIRC, which will flatten a car battery in just a few hours! Not sure how you'd manage that with the multiplex wiring in the Pug though....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
You should install a seperate cable with an in line fuse purely for this circuit through a relay as you rightly say and switched by the ignition.You do not interfer with cars mutiplex wiring.
I am aware of the pin 6 the power should be on and have fitted electrics to cars for caravan use before. Apparently now you dont need a feed from the alternator to switch on the power only when the vehicles engine is running, and no need for a realy as such. What you do is take a live feed from the battery (or any other 12volt feed with enough amperage) to pin 6 through a special device which senses battery volts and only connects when the engine and therefore the alternator is running. I could do this myself but am annoyed that I have paid for a caravan socket which isnt wired correctly. I am in contact with Peugeot UK and they say that the feed shouldnt be there, yet my local Peugeot dealer says the opposite. I will threaten them with the sale of goods act where you are supposed to sell things that do what it says on the box, or take them to the small claims court if I dont get satisfaction. Watch this space. Any more comments are welcome.
Original dealer has offered 50% of the cost of getting it done locally, so I will do this to get my car sorted, but still think they are in the wrong.
Thats what I said.