Ford Ka Breather - vista1200
Hi

Can anyone offer any advise on the following

Whilst servicing my girlfirends standard 1999 (V) 1.3KA i noticed creamy oil round, the oil filler neck.

My initial thought was the head gasket however the car is running ok, not overheating or loosing water, nor is the creamy oil present in the sump.

I've been told ny a works mechanic that this is a common problem with Ka's because they don't "breath" correctly.

Firstly can anyone substantiate this??

Secondly if i disconnect the pipe from the filler neck to the bottom of the air filter and just run a bit of hose "to waste" will it cure the problem?

Any replies gratefully received

Cheers
Ford Ka Breather - bell boy
its normal its a ford.
put a new oil cap on it (its a serviceable part anyway).
do not vent any pipes to atmosphere it will cause all kinds of problems.

--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Ford Ka Breather - Dr Rubber
Also common if the cars run for lots of short journeys. Change it, they are cheap, but check that the hoses are also not blocked.
Joe
Ford Ka Breather - mfarrow
Change it, they are cheap,

... or swill out with white spirit, twice yearly if you can.

If you replace them you'll probably have to buy a new cap annually!

--------------
Mike Farrow
Hi Mate

good advise cheers. I think i will change the one thats on cause it's never been changed then i know i'm starting from the right point. I can maintain it from there

Cheers Rich
Hi Mate

Thanks for your reply, the car is used for short journeys every day! Really grateful for your response

Ta Rich
Thanks ever so much for your help.

I am a new user to the site this was my first post so i am really grateful for yours and everyone elses ideas.
Ford Ka Breather - piston power
while your at it changeing the filler cap remove the rocker cover, clean out the cream cheese! the gasket is about £3.00, clean all the pipes to the air filter, its common its been hapening to fiesta's for over 20 years!!
Ford Ka Breather - rover 75
Having owned a few Fords you might find your thermostat has failed,they tend to stick in the open position causing the engine to run cold.Easy to check as the Ka has no temp.gauge,allow engine to warm-up,switch heater to hot and 2nd fan position judge how hot air comming out is,switch fan 4th speed and if it feels colder the thermostat has failed.
Ford Ka Breather - shadow.saw
clean out the pipes and inside the rocker cover give it a good service and also chanege the thermostat if it comes back try compression testing it most garages will do it if you slip them a tenner if still inconclusive do the head anyway it will take a few hours at most and cost less the 50 quid
Ford Ka Breather - jc2
It's not just Fords;I've had this on other cars-it is usually because of partial or complete blocking of the restrictor that controls the airflow in thr crankcase vent system.Somewhere there will be a restrictor with about a 1/16" hole-make sure it's clear.
Just realised all my posts are appearing in the thread. Told you i was new!!!

Thanks to everyone :-)