opinions on Suzuki - Aprilia
Been asked to check over some "nearly new" cars. Its for a customer's wife (I sold him a Merc - now he wants to get a small car for his wife and has asked me to look at a few for him). They have spotted some v v cheap Suzukis at local dealer and at a car supermarket. Suzuki Ignis and new Swift with 'demo' mileage. Obviously I can check the usual stuff (evidence of damage/repairs) etc - but I have little experience of these cars. Anyone know of any 'stock faults'? I've read through the spec on them and they look OK (lots of airbags, VVT engine etc..)! I would normally point them to a Micra but must admit that the Suzukis are very cheap at the moment!
opinions on Suzuki - BobbyG
Fellow backroomers, I feel that we should not answer this as Aprilia never ever helps any of us with advice !! :)

Aprilia, we all feel humbled now that the fountain of all knowledge is asking us mere mortals for advice!

In answer to your query, I am of no help whatsoever but would just like to say thanks for all the technical and professional opinion you give here on the forum. When you talk, we all listen!
opinions on Suzuki - bell boy
all i can add is i quite like suzuki cars but they are terribly thin in metal and everything is just on top of the job (engines good mind) ive had a few of the old swifts and the carpets were made out of felt and the gearboxes were slightly noisy (low miles as well).
If the new swifts have the 3 cylinder engine make sure she drives one before purchase because they do feel weird as personally i am always waiting for the other cylinder to kick in,but they pull like trains and she may not notice this quirk.
Never liked the ignis no idea with that one.
Is she aware that these cars are throwaway after a few years?

--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
opinions on Suzuki - Aprilia
Well, I must confess that Suzuki cars have kind of been 'off my radar'. I know they did a GTi some years ago that was popular.

Anyway, I just had at look at another review website (being a nosey Parker...) and it seems the Swift has a 4-star NCAP rating - which quite surprises me. Anyway, it says a 4-cyl engine and the 1.5 has 100bhp and sub-10s 0-62mph time - so looks quite promising. I will have to take a closer look.

opinions on Suzuki - Happy Blue!
My mother has WagonR+. Built in Hungary? with Vauxhall Agila. Apart from a slightly graunching rear door when opening, the car appears well built and performs far better than anticipated.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
opinions on Suzuki - jase1
> Is she aware that these cars are throwaway after a few years?

So why does the old fella down our road have a 1988 Suzuki Swift that's done 80,000 miles and is as sweet as a nut with no rust?

Surely the only reason things like Suzukis are seen as throwaway is that they cost nowt to buy so the minute anything goes wrong with them they're thrown on the scrapyard? (As opposed to more expensive eg Fords with cheaper parts which can go through multiple engines/exhausts in their 15-year life cycle).
opinions on Suzuki - bell boy
they are when p/x time comes as they arent the most wanted kid on the block.........bear in mind i have not slagged them i personally like them
--
opinions on Suzuki - jase1
they are when p/x time comes as they arent the most
wanted kid on the block.........bear in mind i have not slagged
them i personally like them
--

I see what you are saying, I incorrectly interpreted your comment as meaning that Suzukis were dropping apart after a few years.
opinions on Suzuki - barchettaman
seconded.
opinions on Suzuki - Bagpuss
The Suzuki Ignis is also sold here in Germany as the Subaru Justy, it's built in Hungary and you see loads of them over there. My wife was quite taken with the high driving position and good visibility, but not enough to swap her beloved Ford Ka for one. There are reports in Germany of rust problems with early ones, especially in the sills, as well as weak clutches which seems to particularly affect the 4x4 versions and the 3 door Sports version.
opinions on Suzuki - klystron
I have a 04 reg Suzuki Ignis Aprilia which I bought second hand and low mileage few months ago (Another Ebay bargain). I use it mainly for my commute between Newcastle and Aberdeen which is about a 240 mile journey and have very little to complain about. It is quite nippy in it's 1300cc GL form and very economical. For a small car I also find it quite comfortable on a long journey. My only complaint is a rattle from the passenger seat mechanism which I have yet to cure (thank you to the expansion joints on the Forth road bridge for helping me track the source of the rattle down!). For a small car it also has quite a lot room in the boot compared to some others. It does lack a heght adjustment for the steering wheel which I would have liked, but it does have a lumber adjustment on the drivers seat which is good. It was definately worth the price I paid for it but that is mostly down to the horrendous depreciation these things seem to have in their first year.
opinions on Suzuki - Pezzer
I saw a new Swift VVT the other day and I was quite impressed. Sorry cant help with faults but I thought it was a good looking thing which reminded me of an elegent fusion between the Fabia and the Yaris.

opinions on Suzuki - Huw
Had a wagon for 3 years - bought it almost new for silly money - it can't have depreciated. Use it for a comutermobile [11 miles], taking kids to footie and rubbish to the dump. 40 odd to the gal - bit 'rough' at 80 and not the most confortable seats but easy to park, 100% reliable, good high ride/view and kids like it. genuine 5 seats and loads of room. J clarkson seems to hate them so they can't be all wrong.
opinions on Suzuki - ajit
I have a new Swift in India, done 1500 km - on appalling roads - much more solid than normal Suzuki cars. Check the awkward accelerator position and lack of space for the left foot. Besides the initial aweful pong of plastic, a great stable car
opinions on Suzuki - Geordie1
Bought a Swift for my daughter 10 years ago (now on 85k miles) and a Grand Vitara for my wfe 8 years ago (now on 60k miles). Both are regularly serviced and have been faultless. Neither my daughter nor my wife wish to change them for newer models!
opinions on Suzuki - tr7v8
I've run 3 Suzukis an Alto, S plate, a Swift on a W & a Wagon R on a Y. All have been great, don't know about thin metal the Alto had a hard front end & although written off the doors still opened & my Missus walked away. The Wagon R she managed to write off after piling it into a ditch & I got 66% of it cost back from the insurance after 20 Months. And the Swift she ran for 2 years & we then sold it for 40% of its new price & the young lad who still has it thinks it's great. Thats a 3 pot very quick for a 1 litre, most people who rode in it thought it at least a 1.3
it also used to average 45+mpg despite being driven very hard indeed.
Cheapish servicing by enthusiastic garages, generally family owned.
I'm a great fan & don't see why people spend more money on Micras & the like for a runaround.
opinions on Suzuki - tr7v8
PS nearly brought an Ignis when the ALfa went, couldn't live with the full on SPort although kids would love it, but thought the 1.5 4Grip was great.
opinions on Suzuki - Tomo
Our daughter has had an Ignis Sport for a couple of years. There are no snags up until now, and she is happy with it and has no desire to change.
opinions on Suzuki - Peter S
The new Swifts just shown on Top Gear looked sturdy enough for a small car :-)

I think they look like nice cars, but have no experience of them. Just come back from a holiday in India, where I saw quite a few. If they can cope with the quality of the roads there, I'd imagine they'd be fine here.

Peter
opinions on Suzuki - dodo
We have a 10 year old Vitara which has been a model of reliability and sturdyness. I have looked at the new Swift and to be honest I'd have the Sport over and above the Mini!