1995 MK3 1.8 Golf starts and stops. - s lyle
Gents,
I have a 1995 1.8 Golf which starts and then stops almost immediately as soon as the accelerator is pressed.(The car has a single point fuel injection system). Any ideas as to what is causing this would be greatly appreciated.
Rgds.
S Lyle
1995 MK3 1.8 Golf starts and stops. - Screwloose
S Lyle

Will it continue to run if the accelerator isn't depressed? A symptom of immobilizer trouble on these, is that it will run for a couple of seconds and then cut. Have you tried a different [chipped] key?

Did this just happen out of the blue, or is there a bit more to it?
No, the engine cuts out after a few seconds if the accelerator isn't depressed. Depressing the accelerator seems to hasten the engine cutting out.
There is no immobilizer fitted to the car.
The first time the fault happened was just a few days ago. I had stopped at a garage for petrol, tried to restart after filling up and it took about 20 minutes of trying,to start. Since then I have been unable to start the car.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
1995 MK3 1.8 Golf starts and stops. - Peter D
Well testing for a spark in the fualt mode is easy to do first but I'm thinking you have a feul pump problem. When you first turn the ignition on you should hear the pump runnin then is stops until the ecu detects cranking output from the Distributor and it powers the pump back up. The sensor in the distributor also generates the information for the ignition. Do some of the basics and come back to the forum with your results. Regards Peter
1995 MK3 1.8 Golf starts and stops. - Screwloose
s lyle

You should have a "chip-in-key" immobilizer fitted on that year - unless it's a "hangover" car built before 10/94. There may be no outward sign of it's presence. Either check your handbook, or remove the column shroud and look for a black plastic reader coil round the steering lock. What's the engine code - AAM?

Does it start for a few seconds every single time? As it happened after re-fuelling; that is petrol in the tank; isn't it? Have you - carefully! - tried "neat-priming" the throttle body with a little fuel to see if that makes a difference?

The engine control relays are regular failures on these; it will depend on engine code whether you've actually got one. Never seen a fuel-pump relay go - but there's always a first time.
It was the engine control relay causing my problems. When I took it apart it was in very poor condition inside. Thanks very much for all your assistance Screwloose and Pete D !
1995 MK3 1.8 Golf starts and stops. - Peter D
The real problem and your original problem description do not match. But there you go as long as you are fixed all is well.; R10 can be troublesome. Regards Peter