what I should have done New lexusIS - alapppy
or any other new car I suppose:

This applies to any car but descibes my problems with the new IS250 and a common problem with many of these, rattles ,that need extensive work to rectify:
1. Demand a test drive before you sign anything The salesman will say that it is not possible :the the law says 'buyer beware' ... You would not buy a second hand car without one ? If unahppy don't go ahead.
2. Dont rely on the PDI inspection sheet my car had several problems even though every box was ticked as checked
3. After collection if you notice rattles from the dash , doors etc advise Lexus at once. Advise them that if extensive repair work will be required to rectify the faults you reserve the right to reject the car.
4. Don't be fobbed off with any old date to fix the faults..the dealers know that the longer you have the car the weaker your ability to reject it. Keep the use down to a minimum if you suspect a major repair could be required.
5. Dont take it for granted that JD power surveys mean less problems... the data is a a year old and does appply to this new model.
6 Consider buying a more tried and tested model in the first place!

By following this you may save yourself stress, time and buying a dog

ALan

The above advice has been given to me by an expert in consumer law
what I should have done New lexusIS - ykl
Thanks for the advice. I was originally planning to swop my ageing unreliable BMW for a Lexus.

Did you have a lot of mechanical problems?

ykl
what I should have done New lexusIS - alapppy
No Only the rattles ...dash removed now b pillar trims. Some owners have had front seat belts fail on the drivers side I beleive that modified parts are on the way for these
alan
what I should have done New lexusIS - Chicken Madras
The perils of being an early adopter!

I had one of the first old model IS200s. It had a few niggles on it but they were all taken care of by the dealer. My second one three years later was and still is (touch wood) as perfect as it was when I picked it up.

I'd like to change it for a new IS250 later this year. Personally I wouldn't get one (or any other new car from any manufacturer) until they've been around for at least six, preferably twelve, months so that other people can have the problems you've had and possibly others, and Lexus have fixed them.