First MoT - pmh
A friend has a E class that he privately imported from Germany.
It was initially registered in Germany on temporary plates in January 2003, he took it skiing in Feb, and returned to the UK at the end of Feb 2003, and finally had it UK registered in April 2003. When he enquired of the DVLA when the first MoT was due he got the answer of '3rd birthday of UK registration'.

Is this correct? Is it because it was viewed as a 'new' car when imported into the UK, despite the 3 month delay?

Logic says it should be the date of of first use that counts, or what is to stop you doing a world tour before returning to the UK with a personal import?
--

pmh (was peter)

First MoT - defender
makes no difference as it has to be in a roadworthy condition whether it has a bit paper saying it is three years from first reg in uk or three years from first use
First MoT - fossyant
Roadworthy or not, you now need the computer system updated, the piece of paper is no good other than as a receipt !

Go with what has been told to you officially - 3 years from UK reg !
First MoT - Dwight Van Driver
Section 47 Road Traffic Act 1988 deals with compulsory testing and states:

Motor vehicles to which the section applies are:

(a) First Registered under Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994 not less than 3 years before that time, AND

(b) Having a date of manufacture not less than three years before that time have BEEN USED on roads, whether in GB or ELSEWHERE before being so registered,

So on that it is the date of manufacture but under the Section DoMan is taken to be the last day of the year during which its assembly is completed.

Applying this to the post then if Registered in Jermainy in Jan 2003 presumably it was made in 2002 which means the three years are counted from 31.12.2002 and test due on 1.1.2005.

So friend been running around without one for some time ?

Makes sense as say I have a car in Spain for 5 years and import it to UK and Register it on 1.1.06. When due for test of date of Registration would be when itr is eight year old........

dvd

First MoT - defender
fossy ,you can only get the bit of paper from an updated computer system,I though that would be obvious
dvd ,if it was classed as year of manufacture on 31/12/02 then mot would be due on 31/12/05 and not 1/1/05 would it not .putting that aside if you were checking details and reg doc said something like 25/4/03 but had 2 months use abroad
would you actualy check that it had not been used elsewhere before that or would you rely on the date first registered in uk?
First MoT - Simon
Why doesn't he just go and get it MOT'd now and save any hassle to do with this 'grey area'. It ought to sail straight through its first MOT with no problems and should therfore only cost him the MOT fee. If he's got a 3 year old E-Class Merc then I am confident in saying he an easily afford the £40ish that its costs for an MOT. This way he won't have to worry about whether he should/should not have an MOT and bringing the MOT date forward by 3 months or so isn't going to make much difference in the long run.
First MoT - Dwight Van Driver
Absolutely correct on date Defender, my apologies should have said 1.1.06 to make the 3 clear years. Never was any good at maths at school.

As to checking history a run of the mill check by Plod would most probably rely on UK date of first registration. However if a details check was made of the vehicle certain parts would be stamped with dates that would indicate vehicle more than 3 years of age leading to questions of previous use etc.

dvd
First MoT - bell boy
As to checking history a run of the mill check by
Plod would most probably rely on UK date of first registration.
However if a details check was made of the vehicle certain
parts would be stamped with dates that would indicate vehicle more

this would only happen if it was stolen /recovered and the insurance man was diligent or the vehicle was used in a major crime ,very few police forces actually have a dedicated stolen vehicle squad now,i think london and manchester have them .
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
First MoT - pmh
The owner may post directly after his return from holiday, but the further you look the more interesting this becomes.

DVLA V5 shows the year of manufacture as 2003. The following text is taken from the VOSA website....

When should my vehicle take an MOT Test?

Vehicles should receive their first MOT when they reach 3 years of age.

If a car is registered with no prior use on the road, the MOT will be required three years after the date of registration. For example, a car registered "from new" on 25th April 2000 will require its MOT no later than 25th April 2003.
If a car is used prior to registration, as would be the case with an import, the MOT will be required three years from the end of the year of manufacture. For example a car manufactured at any time in 2000 will require an MOT no later than 31st December 2003.
There is no grace period given after these dates.

In this case the second para applies and my interpretation of this is that strictly the MOT is not actually needed until 31/12/2006!!! ie it could be upto 4 years.
Any comments?
--

pmh (was peter)