Spacesaver Wheel Bolts - Dude - {P}
There was an article in H.J`s column in last Saturday`s Telegraph re the need for different length wheel bolts to fit a spacesaver wheel on M. Benz to avoid hub/brake damage.

Does anyone know if this problem is unique to Mercedes or are other marques equally affected.??????
Spacesaver Wheel Bolts - martint123
Certainly more than one, but I can't remember the make off the top of my head. I can see the packet of bolts that sat in the spare wheel well. They were almost an inch shorter

Martin
Spacesaver Wheel Bolts - jc2
One some cars you can use the bolts supplied for the alloys on the steel spare as they don't foul anything.I had an alloy wheeled Fiesta and the workshop manual said it was OK to use the bolts for alloys(tapered washer was part of the bolt) on steel wheels but not the other way round.
Spacesaver Wheel Bolts - Red Baron
On both my Alfa and my mondeo tdci I have used the alloy bolts on the steel spare. In the Alfa it is a true space saver whereas in the mondeo the wheel and tyre are of the same size as the fitted alloys. The Mondeo wheels also attach with nuts only, the bolts are in the hub.
Spacesaver Wheel Bolts - Dude - {P}
Thankfully on BMW`s the same set of bolts does both alloys and spacesaver.

Maybe this problem is unique to M. Benz. !!!!!
Spacesaver Wheel Bolts - kithmo
Generally if you have NUTS with tapered washers on, they can be used and it is the BOLTS that may or may not have a problem due to the length of them.
Spacesaver Wheel Bolts - Pete M
Some alloy wheels have a tapered seat that the base of the nut presses against. In this case the nuts will generally work on the space saver. Some aftermarket alloy wheels have nuts that incorporate a sleeve that fits into the hole in the wheel. There is then a step on the nut that fits flat on the surface of the wheel and clamps it to the hub. These do not generally work on space saver wheels.
Spacesaver Wheel Bolts - IanJohnson
On both my Alfa and my mondeo tdci I have used
the alloy bolts on the steel spare. In the Alfa
it is a true space saver whereas in the mondeo the
wheel and tyre are of the same size as the fitted
alloys. The Mondeo wheels also attach with nuts only, the
bolts are in the hub.

I suggest you check your Mondeo again - when I was looking (At Ghia's) the spare had a 1" smaller steel wheel and a higher profile tyre so is not the same size.
Spacesaver Wheel Bolts - kithmo
I suggest you check your Mondeo again - when I was
looking (At Ghia's) the spare had a 1" smaller steel wheel
and a higher profile tyre so is not the same size.

>>
Although it's a lot thinner, I think it works out 0.5" smaller on outside diameter. This is about the same difference as between a new tyre and one worn down near the legal limit. It's a bit like putting the "just legal" tyre a lot of people use for a spare on, when you have new tyres on. It doesn't affect the ESP at all on mine.
Spacesaver Wheel Bolts - John S
It does not apply to Vauxhalls. They use the same bolts for both alloys and steel spare wheels.

JS
Spacesaver Wheel Bolts - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
My 03 E320 CDi has a steel spare with a set of shorter bolts. As you have to remove the bolts from the spare before you can fit it I cant see it as being a 'problem'. Personally I never fit the space saver to the front of the car,I move a wheel from the back and fit the space saver to the rear to ensure braking and handling are not compromised by fitting the 'bicycle' tyre to the front.
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!