Ramps or stands? - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Going to replace the starter motor on my car this afternoon and I have ramps and axel stands.
Got me wondering what is the safest and what is the most preferred?
Ramps or stands? - Lud
Stands. You don't want to fall off a ramp as you climb onto it. Nasty unstable things.
Ramps or stands? - Roger Jones
Yes, stands. And make sure they are positioned at the correct support points, which may not be the same as the jacking points.
Ramps or stands? - martint123
If I'm underneath my car then I usually use both. Drive up ramps and stick stands under sills just in case.
Ramps or stands? - Harmattan
Always use ramps for this type of task. Neither me or the car has fallen off them yet. Gives more room for working underneath without stands getting in the way depending on where the support points are. I also feel more secure with ramps although that could be psychological (more metal?). Always double chock the non-supported wheels too.
Ramps or stands? - Pete M
Ramps are useful for minor jobs like changing the oil, but no use at all if the wheels must be removed. For changing brake pads, they're no use at all. I bought a set of resin moulded ramps a while back as they had a low enough profile to fit under the low front spoiler of the car. They easily support the Mitsubishi Galant, and worked just as well on the Jaguar XJ12, which is one of the heaviest cars around.
Axle stands are much more useful for major jobs like gearbox removal or brake disc changes, where the front suspension must be disturbed. The height of axle stands is (usually) adjustable, while ramps are fixed, and generally lower than stands.