cracked windscreen and MOT - rip
Some thug (to put it mildly) has hit my windscreen and placed three smallish cracks (viewable from inside) on the right hand side, bottom corner of the windscreen (as viewed sitting in the drivers seat). there are also some small stone chips too nearby, also created by the thug(s).

I think the stone chips are well outside zone a, buy within zone b, but are only 5mm or so wide. So i think im ok there.

Hoverer regarding the cracks are these a straight failure, or can i get away with it if they are within the designated limits.

Many thanks
cracked windscreen and MOT - martint123
From www.motuk.co.uk if the crack is outside zone a and more than 40mm long it looks like it will fail or 10mm within zone a.
cracked windscreen and MOT - J Bonington Jagworth
Worth getting a new screen if your insurance will foot the bill (usually there's a reduced excess of about £60). I put off replacing our cracked one for a while, but the absence of wiper scratches on the new one is very noticeable.
cracked windscreen and MOT - Cliff Pope
If it's outside the swept area, place a few old car park tickets. Let the screen get a bit dirty.
Try bird pooh.
cracked windscreen and MOT - Dynamic Dave
If it's a modern car, then the windscreen will make up a significant part of the strength of the overall car. If the windsreen is cracked then that strength is somewhat reduced.
i should state all 3 cracks start on the corner of the windscreen, they are all longer than 40mm, but the swept area (part of mot) does not start in the corner, but a touch further in.

So if the cracks are greater than 40mm, but are less than 40mm in the swept area is this a fail or not?

I will keep an eye on the cracks, if they largen i will get Zurich onto the case although their is an excess £50 or £80, i will check.

thanks for all the help so far
cracked windscreen and MOT - Navara Van man
I would get these cracks seen to as they are likely to spread leading to a new windscreen as oposed to a £30 repair.
cracked windscreen and MOT - Civic8
>>If it's a modern car, then the windscreen will make up a significant part of the strength of the overall car. If the windsreen is cracked then that strength is somewhat reduced.

I dont see how a windscreen can make up any strength in any part of a vehicle,it isnt strong enough.the bonding of screen to frame IIRC was to prevent screen from popping out during head on collisions ie to prevent even more injury to anyone that goes through it?

bonding isnt solid either its flexible to flex with the glass as was old rubber

please correct if wrong,But just dont sound right
--
Steve
cracked windscreen and MOT - Dynamic Dave
please correct if wrong,But just dont sound right

"Your Windscreen can provide up to 30% of the vehicles structural strength"

www.obrienglass.com.au/faq/windscreenautoservices/...p

www.motor.net.au/VACC/Media/WordsonWheels/a4b1bdaa.../

www.autoglass.co.uk/FAQ/Security/importanttosafety...p

www.volvocars.com/Services/Repairandmaintenance/Se...m
I do seem to remember rac adverts which suggested a windscreen does indeed account for around 30% of structural strength in a road crash. Of course that does not say the advert was correct, but i think it is.

Anyhow, back to my windscreen, ive had a closer look this evening, two cracks are very small and ok. The third one is about 15cm long, and probably around 10cm of this is in the swept area (zone b), so is a new windscreen the only way or can i get them repaired?
Anyhow, back to my windscreen, ive had a closer look this
evening, two cracks are very small and ok. The third one
is about 15cm long, and probably around 10cm of this is
in the swept area (zone b), so is a new windscreen
the only way or can i get them repaired?

any ideas?
cracked windscreen and MOT - Civic8
New screen IMO!
--
Steve
cracked windscreen and MOT - Navara Van man
Ring auto glass and get them to advise.
cracked windscreen and MOT - JH
Gard,
isn't that like asking turkeys their advice on Christmas?
JH
Gard,
isn't that like asking turkeys their advice on Christmas?
JH

indeed.

however i did ring autoglass and they say they will fit the screen and i only pay the excess of £50. I rang my insurance co to enquire if the premium will increase next year they said no...Hmm we shall see.

autoglass claim they buy from the manufacturer and fit the 100% same glass as at the factory where the car was assembled.

We shall see, my glass is green tinted and they did know this by typing my car details onto their screen. I will book a new screen in the next few days and reject at source if the glass is not 100% similar.
cracked windscreen and MOT - henry k
autoglass claim they buy from the manufacturer and fit the 100% same glass as at the factory where the car was assembled.

>>
I have it logged from a previous forum item that Autoglass do indeed fit OE glass.
I retained this info in case I need my heated screen replaced at any future date.
cracked windscreen and MOT - Lorans Patrous

You're right. Doesn't sound right at all. Found more information on a xxxx Sydney repairer here as well.

Edited by Avant on 09/05/2019 at 15:04

cracked windscreen and MOT - focussed

I'm calling advertising on that one, as this is a UK forum and that link is from Oz.

What on earth you hope to gain from that is a mystery unless it's pay-per-click.

cracked windscreen and MOT - 72 dudes

Not only that, he's tried to revive a 13 year old thread.

cracked windscreen and MOT - Leif

I'm calling advertising on that one, as this is a UK forum and that link is from Oz.

What on earth you hope to gain from that is a mystery unless it's pay-per-click.

Not only that, the Dilbert has used his real name and if you search you'll find .... drum roll .. he works for or owns a windscreen replacement company.

I present the following as evidence M'lud:

https://www.facebook.com/lorans.patrous/about?section=education&lst=100014763750645%3A622009448%3A1557403697

I recommend the defendant be metaphorically hanged by the neck until he is a bit dead.