Ebay scam again - cumfray1
Looks like he is at it again.

A 2000 Range Rover with 35k on the clock for only.....£4000
yep I might buy 2

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4610...5
Ebay scam again - Vin {P}
The auction went well for the seller: He got £10M for it.

V
Ebay scam again - L'escargot
The auction went well for the seller: He got £10M for
it.

£10,000,000?
--
L\'escargot.
Ebay scam again - Vin {P}
OK, I exaggerated, he got £9,999,999.

Hope he has factored in the seller's fees!.

V
Ebay scam again - Galaxy
It has now been removed.
Ebay scam again - Armitage Shanks {p}
In what way was this auction a scam, please?
Ebay scam again - cumfray1
For a start the guy is in the USA, if you don't email him first you're bid is cancelled, you can't contact him via ebay only his personnal email address, he sells cars for 1000's below book price plus ebay keeps removing his items.
Ebay scam again - massey
Probably a teenage 'nerd' hacking into ebay for kicks?
Ebay scam again - Imagos
Non motoring so apologies moderators but I think worthy of a mention.

There is a email doing the rounds that is definatly a attemted scam. Please if you get this do not reply and delete it straight away.

The email is thus:-

Email Body:
***Urgent Fraud Prevention Group Notice***

You have received this email because we have strong reason to believe
that your eBay account had been recently compromised. In order to
prevent any fraudulent activity from occurring we are required to open
an investigation into this matter. To speed up this process, you are
required to verify your eBay account by following the link below.

(link deleted)*******************
(To complete the verification process you must fill in all the required
fields)

Please Note: If your account informations are not updated within the
next 72 hours, then we will assume this account is fraudulent and will
be suspended. We apologize for this inconvenience, but the purpose of
this verification is to ensure that your eBay account has not been
fraudulently used and to combat fraud.

We appreciate your support and understanding, as we work together to
keep eBay a safe place to trade.

Thank you for your attention on this serious matter. We apologize for
any delay in resolving this situation.

Regards,

Morris Franklin
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--

--------

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification. Mail
sent to this address cannot be answered.
eBay treats your personal information with the utmost care, and our
Privacy Policy is designed to protect you and your information.
Copyright © 2006 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective
owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.
eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

Ebay scam again - deepwith
If you get any email like this from ebay or paypal, please forward it immediately to Spoof@ebay.co.uk and spoof@ebay.com. They will investigate let you know whether it is kosher (unlikely!!) and they can then get the source dealt with - only way to beat these fraudsters.
Ebay scam again - DrS
I reckon I must get at least one of these a week, and wonder if ebay ever do actually follow up? I always forward them to "spoof", and get an initial reply, but nothing more.
Sometimes I get an identical spoof some days or weeks later, so I guess that they don't stop them all, if any?
Some of the spoofs are quite convincing, and offer free stuff or other inducements, rather than just frightening the punter.
A colleague, who happens to be an IT professional got scammed, and had to change all of his banking passwords, etc, which was red face time all around!
Don't you get caught!
Ebay scam again - Bill Payer
A colleague, who happens to be an IT professional got scammed,
and had to change all of his banking passwords, etc, which
was red face time all around!
Don't you get caught!

Our Technical Director got caught too - hilarious!!
Ebay scam again - Stuartli
A genuine e-Bay e-mail includes your Username to confirm its authenticity.

Anyone who replies to a scam e-mail (itself a receipe for vastly increased numbers) and provides their personal details deserves everything that is coming to them.

No reputable bank or organisation seeks passwords etc being given to them in this way.

By the way, there's a consistent "Halifax" e-mail that has been doing the rounds for weeks now - at a casual glance it could well fool some people into divulging their personal details at a seemingly Halifax based web address.

I get it about four or five times a week (I do use Halifax online) and it didn't fool me but, as I say, some people may well fall for the scam due to a lack of concentration.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Ebay scam again - codefarm
A genuine e-Bay e-mail includes your Username to confirm its authenticity.
Anyone who replies to a scam e-mail (itself a receipe for
vastly increased numbers) and provides their personal details deserves everything that
is coming to them.

>

Hear hear. They must be absolute muppets.
Ebay scam again - J Bonington Jagworth
"A genuine e-Bay e-mail includes your Username to confirm its authenticity"

That's a useful tip. I received a very convincing email last week announcing that I had paid for a little brown strapless frock (!) from a lady in Kansas and the email allegedly came from 'transaction@paypal.com'. The Ebay link was genuine and the 'dispute' button linked to a perfect copy of a Paypal page, with a paypal.com URL and a functional sign-in procedure. Clever stuff, and I got as far as confirming my credit card number before smelling a rat. Mind you, it wouldn't have done them any good!
Ebay scam again - Roly93
I reckon I must get at least one of these a
week, and wonder if ebay ever do actually follow up? I
always forward them to "spoof", and get an initial reply, but
nothing more.

I was getting at least one of these a week.
However I saw an e-mail the other day that ratcheted up the game a bit.
It was from a company called Paycom (not Paypal) and it said I had been billed $39.99 with subsequent billings of $29.99 a month for access to an, ahem, adult site.
This message was very convincing and at first I thought maybe my CCard had been compromised. But it was a scam, trying to get me to reveal my Paycom login details, when although it does exist, I am not a member of Paycom.
Ebay scam again - David Horn
I've always been able to tell with these emails because there is ALWAYS a spelling or grammar mistake somewhere. The one above requests "informations".

Ebay scam again - Galaxy
I got caught myself last year by an Ebay scam and had to change both my Ebay and PayPal passwords.

The ultimate way to tell whether one of these messages is genuine or not is to go to "My Ebay".

If the message is genuine then it will also be found as a message in the "My Ebay" section of the website.

If it isn't there then it isn't genuine, it really is that simple!
The people who operate such scams work on the basis that from every 100 or so e-mails (just an example) they send out for, say, LloydsTSB, Barclays or the Halifax, on the law of averages one fool will fall for it.

That makes it all w0rthwhile.

I must emphasise again that no financial institution will request personal details such as a username or passworld in an e-mail.

I've had a genuine e-mail from the Halifax today (makes a difference from the dozens of scam versions I've had in recent weeks about an "upgrade" to its database and the need to confirm my personal details!) regarding Chip and Pin and the need to be fully aware of the changes from the 14th of this month; it was crystal clear it had genuinely been sent by the Halifax and it also detailed the type of scam e-mails currently doing the rounds and, what's more, which appear very realistic at first glance.

Ebay scam again - JanetS
I received that same email recently. It is not legit.

I also received a "second chance" email. I had bid on an expensive massage chair, but did not win the auction. I received an email indicating that the buyer had not picked up the chair, so I now had the chance to purchase the item at my bid price.

Red Flags....the delivery charge on this chair was hundreds of dollars (I'm in Canada). The second chance offer offered FREE delivery.

And, it turns out that I buy frequently from this particular ebay store. I always pick up my goods in person (and avoid delivery charges), and I know the people who work there on a personal level now. I gave them a call, they knew nothing of this offer.

I was advised by ebay that if you want to know if an email is legitimately from them, then look in the "my messages" area in the "My Ebay" section. As well as receiving them in your regular email box, they should also be there.

Greetings from Canada.
Ebay scam again - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks for that Galaxy - I got caught last year - very awkward! I got an very genuine looking e bay e mail last week and close inspect revealed that it was from ebuy.com. It looked in all respects genuine, apart from the suspicious content and spelling mistakes!
Ebay scam again - John.Davies
Strange thing is - I just had my eBay account hijacked.
It does happen.
First thing I noticed was emails asking me about items I wot not of. I ignored them thinking like the above - phishing. Then someone emailed me with the title "your ebay account has been hijacked", so I looked.

There they were, a range of high value electronics items, inc. a Segway (that two wheeled scooter thing). Others knew it was a scam because the ads said, "don't contact me through eBay, contact me at this email address" (da-dah@diddle.dum can't remember it) and because the villain had given his eBay name as "you've-been-hijacked"!
eBay had not noticed until I told them.

Worse, at the same time, my credit card was being cloned - £3.5K in four days, possibly £6k by the time I saw it. All to Ladbrokes online. Card blocked and I'm still hoping that 'disputing' the transactions will mean I don't have to pay.
Coincidence? I think not.
All passwords changed and will be, regularly in future.
LOOK, LOOK TWICE, for the little padlock on the internet screen, for a secure site. On PayPal or eBay, the URL starts "https:// " - the 's' means a secure site.
New PayPal account
New eBay account
Checks at bank
Waiting (now) for the police to visit!
What a palaver.

JOhn

PS Anyone know? If you pay money into Ladbrokes, can you get it out again without gambling it? Is this a money laundering operation? J.
Forgot to point out earlier than genuine e-Bay e-mails include your full name and your username in the first section.