Trip computer showing 61mpg! - JohnX
Pootling along to reach work at midnight for a distance of 46 miles ,maximum speed 50mph on A roads and all but approx 2 miles on a steady speed with the cruise control on, this is the average achieved!

Now how accurate is this,sounds fantastic but is this a reflection of the actual engine fuel consumption.

Any comments on this.
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - barchettaman
Well John, if you had put any information on your profile we would be able to see what kind of motor you drive, but you´ve hidden that info so we can´t :-)
If you´ve got a BMW 760iL, probably not.
If you drive an A2 Tdi, it´s probably overestimating....

Cheers all,
barchettaman
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - SjB {P}
Hijack

"If you drive an A2 Tdi..."

You're probably blind and deaf! ;-)
A neighbour of my brother has one and as well as finding it aesthetically challenged I couldn't believe the fearsome clatter it made on startup. As well as loud it was as rattly and uncultured as it's possible to get. Made a 1980s Ford Tranny sound quiet and refined!

/Hijack ends
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - JohnX
Didnt mention the car in question-2001 Passat 1.9 TDI 130 bhp.
No more petrol cars for me!
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - L'escargot
No more petrol cars for me!

There's more to having a car than it's fuel consumption.
--
L\'escargot.
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - JH
JohnX
I drive a similar car, a Passat 130, and in similar circumstances (20 - 30 miles of A road, behind a queue of traffic going just fast enough and enough traffic coming the other way to prohibit overtaking) I had 62 mpg showing. Was it true? No way. My trip computer is about 6% optimistic.

The only way to know is brim it and use a calculator.

JH
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - mare
i once got 70mpg on the computer on a trip from Cambridge to Bath, averaging 60mph on motorways. When i filled up, it was more like low 60's mpg.

Car was a Skoda Octavia TDI 110
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - barchettaman
Sounds about right actually.
I´m still depressed about the last fill of the Barchetta. Lots of town short journeys saw it plummet to 25 Mpg. Ouch.
Another reason to take the pushbike round town.
The Astra is showing +12% since we started adding acetone each fill in July.
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - Oz
On 3 occasions I got more than 800 miles out of my 2001 BMW 320d from the 63 litre tank - two of these occasions were over 840 miles. The 800 miles was 'realistic' driving - filled up in Bracknell, then over several days travelled eventually to Inverness including side tours to the west coast of Scotland and Culodden, then back to Fort William before refilling.
Oz (as was)
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - cheddar
On 3 occasions I got more than 800 miles out of my 2001 BMW 320d from the 63 litre tank - two of these occasions were over 840 miles. The 800 miles was 'realistic' driving - filled up in Bracknell, then over several days travelled eventually to Inverness including side tours to the west coast of Scotland and Culodden, then back to Fort William before refilling.

This seems incredible, I make this an average of over 60 mpg, I can get 55 easily ot of my Mondeo if I take it easy on the motorway though to average 60 mpg in mixed driving including cold starts! I wonder if the mileometer and or trip computer were accurate.
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - Big John
Once after filling up my Skoda Superb 1.9pd 100bhp I drove a 10mile journey on quiet roads with 30&40mph speed limits the trip computer displayed 72.8 mpg!

Normally it displays around 51mpg between tank fills but when you divide the dispalyed miles by the fuel used it comes to around 53mpg (last one was 638 miles/12.1 gals = 52.7mpg displayed mpg was 50.8)

Trip computer showing 61mpg! - g3zdm
Looking at the various replies in this thread, it could certainly be correct.
My Merc C220D coupe manages mid 50's on journeys of 35 miles or more where most of it is motorway (at 71/72 MPH cruise control setting).
Actually got 62.1 mpg on 220-mile+ journey from Manchester to Walton on Thames last week ; pity it was only 58 mpg on the return journey next day.
Roadworks , slowing down to 40 mph (or whatever their speed limit is) and setting cruise control to this speed (to ensure the dreaded cameras don't get triggered) increase the mpg a little of course.

Chris Muriel, Manchester
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - Lud
A speedometer 5mph over doesn't trigger flashes. Better make it 3 to be on the safe side.
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - cheddar
Looking at the various replies in this thread, it could
certainly be correct.
My Merc C220D coupe manages mid 50's on journeys of
35 miles or more where most of it is motorway (at
71/72 MPH cruise control setting).
Actually got 62.1 mpg on 220-mile+ journey from Manchester to
Walton on Thames last week ; pity it was only 58
mpg on the return journey next day. >>

Is that measured by the trip computer?
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - g3zdm
Yes, the trip computer's readings in all cases.
However,I did manually verify its readings when I first got the car.

Chris Muriel, Manchester
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - Group B
My girlfriend used to get 60+ mpg driving back from Birmingham to Nottingham with cruise set to 60-70mph, in a Golf Tdi PD.

If my Saab were to start telling me its doing 60+mpg, its a good sign the Mass Air Flow sensor is dirty or about to fail..

;o)
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - Pugugly {P}
My original 330 could achieve high fifties on the computer. The two 530ds could creep into the fifites in thrift mode. Not too sure witht he 535 yet...
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - tack
My C4 1.6HDI (110) shows 999mpg down hill with foot just touching the go pedal! If life was all downhill, I would never have to fill up.

I don't believe that these things are very accurate, but it does make me try to drive in a more economical manner. Instead of screaming along the motor way, I am content to use cruise at 70 and just pootle along. Around town, I am more mild mannered and try to use gears effectively whilst keeping an eye on the instant readout.
Trip computer showing 61mpg! - Stuartli
I once had an Audi A6 with the 2.5-litre diesel engine doing 80mpg at 80mph - the trick is to know exactly at what point to stop easing off the throttle without losing momentum.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by