timing belt - Astra - fence
Apart from changing the belt at regular intervals are there any tell tale signs or noises to look out for?
timing belt - Peter D
Vague. What car is it. ????? {Car now added to subject header and the 2 separate threads started by "fence" merged}
timing belt - Cliff Pope
Depending on design, there might be noise from a wearing tensioner bearing.
If it's possible to get a peep inside the cover evidence of oil or rubber dust would be a reason for investigating. Otherwise just follow the recommended mileage/age guidance, but err on the side of early rather than late.
timing belt - fence
My timing belt has just gone on my astra.Apart from a scheduled change are there any clues to look out for when it's about to go?
timing belt - 42 years and counting ...
Not in my experience. I had an Astra 1.4 and did 150,000 miles despite having three belts let go. There is no warning at all apart from a rapid loss of power quickly followed by no power or response! First of my belts was done under warranty as NetworkQ garage failed to change it, second was also warranty as new tensioner failed (manufacturing fault). Third I had to pay for as it was then out of warranty - cost a replacement engine!
timing belt - piston power
most company's say about 40.000mls is when to change it i'd go with about 35.000mls to be sure! some engines don't bend valves but most do, thats a costly job for your pocket!!!
timing belt - David Horn
On the 8v 1.6 it's only 60 quid in a Vaux dealer.
timing belt - Ruperts Trooper
Vauxhall recommend changing the cambelt every 40,000 miles or 4 years EVEN if the service schedule for the vehicle originally stated a higher figure!

I bought my Astra new in 2000. The vehicle service booklet states 80,000 or 8 years. Vauxhall's 40,000 recommendation was made in the late '90s so goodness knows why they haven't updated their service schedules.

Since I know of this recommendation, I have my cambelt changed at 40,000 along with the idler pulley, tensioner and water pump as it's often failure of these components which causes the belt to break.
timing belt - Astra - Civic8
No,bearing in mind some get this belt changed as and when they feel like doing it,or can afford it.usualy best to get replaced around 5k before,though it has been known for them to break before this!
--
Steve