1990 Lexus - Stuart
1990 Lexus, 5 previous owners. That's an average of 1 every 2 years. Seems a lot for such a car. Should I be suspicious?
Re: 1990 Lexus - Tony Coote
What model is the car ? I am a lexus owner, the amount of owners does seem excessive. Where is the car coming from ? Is it a dealer or private sale ? Is there a service history ?
Re: 1990 Lexus - Big Vern
There may be a logical reason for this, Do changes of address count as a change of owner in England town? With the reg documents in N.Ireland the names and addresses of all previous owners are listed, making it easy to see owner changing address, inter family transfers (which hardly count) etc. Of course another logical reason could be that it is a dog. To dust off the old but very vaild saying, there are buckets of useds cars, if it smells even slightly of scampi walk away (even if a previous owner is from a small fishing village in Wales).
Re: 1990 Lexus - Stuart
It is a LS400. Private sale, according to the seller he took it in part ex as he was trying to flog his previous car (Bentley Turbo) and it was proving difficult.

Full service history and C service just done. Nice car, all seems to check out but don't like those 5 previous owners!
Re: 1990 Lexus - Alwyn
Stuart,

Why not try to contact some of the previous owners. There should be at least one previous owners address on the V5.

Bit of detective work can reveal a lot. I did it with an Audi 100 and found a car with a haircut! (Clocked)
Re: 1990 Lexus - Jonathan
You can get all the previous owners details from the DVLA.

They might have moved, but if you have the time, it could save you money and a big headache.

Jonathan
Re: 1990 Lexus - Honest John
What's he asking? What's on the clock?

HJ
Re: 1990 Lexus - T lucas
Check the car,not the owners.
Re: 1990 Lexus - Alwyn
Check the car and ask previous owners is the safest. Unlikely they are all crooks. The more you know, etc.

Let your eyes be your guide
Your pocket be the judge
And the last thing you part with?
Your money.
Re: 1990 Lexus - David W
I wonder if Tony was saying not to worry about contacting all the previous owners, I can't think he doesn't agree the seller/current owner will speak volumes before the bonnet is lifted. In fact I get them to speak volumes on the phone to avoid wasted trips.

With the recent car change for SWMBO at the budget end of the market it was both frustrating and amusing.

I would say that more than 60% of the cars failed the early phone enquiry....."if I came and looked at your car would I find the V5 in your name at the address I'd be viewing?". The variety of excuses for that situation was amazing but I just don't go any further with such cars.

Then "how long have you had the car?". Again something over 50% said less than six months. No excuse for that so all those crossed off.

Next a few mechanical queries. One example being with an older high spec Honda. "You've had it about three years then, have you had to change the brake fluid?" I enquire. "No never had to do that". "Does it have ABS". "Yes". Another off the list.

I put at least half of the decision onto the impression given by the owner before worrying about the car.

David
Re: Curent owners - John S
David

I went to see a 'one owner' car once. Over the phone 'Yes it's my daughter's car'. OK, maybe dad doesn't want daughter to face potential buyers.

On arrival:

Yes, it's my daughter's car

Why is she selling it?

Because she's in Australia for a year.

Won't it be difficult for her to sign the V5 as owner?

No, she's transferred ownership to me, I've been using it for the last 6 months.

So it's not a one owner then?

Yes it is.

Like the reporter, I made my excuses and left - it should have been in a kennel, not a garage anyway.

Regards

John
Re: Curent owners - ian (cape town)
when I offloaded my old BMW (86 318i), I was dead-honest with the bloke.
Electric windows - only pass. side working
Sunroof - broken
Airco - ditto
Fan - only on stage 3
Rust - exactly where you see it
He was so shocked, he actually paid what I was asking - didn't ask about the 213k kilometers engine at all! (and I'm sure that had been trimmed before I bought it!)