Diesel Coolant Use - mss1tw
Is it normal for diesels to use/lose a little water over a period of time? Thinking of the higher compression etc...
Diesel Coolant Use - jc
No;should be exactly same as gasoline.
Diesel Coolant Use - Collos25
Probably less as they tend to run cooler
Diesel Coolant Use - RichardW
I wouldn't panic too much just yet - the 306 radiator is not exactly known for its longevity - check along the bottom edge to see if it's leaking. The water pump or the coolant intake on the back of the block are other favourite leak points that are easily missed. HDi's seem much less prone to lunching headgaskets that the old XUDs were. Not immune though.....

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Thanks Richard, I'll do that at the weekend while it's on ramps - want to see if I can check the infamous crank pulley for signs of perishing...
Diesel Coolant Use - Martin1981
You can say that again Richard, I replaced the radiator in my 1994 306TD in summer 2003 (£110 from Euro car parts) and its already showing signs of a weep from the bottom edge due to corrosion, even though coolant loss is very small- about 1/2 pint every 1000 miles. Will be monitoring closely.....

Martin
I've read it's to do with the 'fins' going downwards rather than across the rad, meaning crud collects at the bottom. Don't know whether thats true or not.

I've still got to summon up the courage to drain, refill, and bleed the cooling system...
Diesel Coolant Use - Martin1981
It may well be true. According to the Haynes Manual for the Pug 306 1993-99, the coolant should be changed every 2 years with the recommended water/antifreeze mixture. I've done just that when fitted new radiator and also when I had a replacement engine fitted after head gasket failure- which was probably partly the result of irregular coolant changes and corroding/leaking radiator in the first place when the car was under previous ownership.

Martin