Scary moment tonight on Motorway - BobbyG
Driving home through Glasgow tonight on M8, in outside lane following a Mini, doing about 60. We round a bend and it is stand on the brakes time.

A car is sitting broken down in outside lane. As I slam on the brakes, I quickly glance in my side mirror but the traffic on my left is too heavy and fast. I glance in my rear mirror and see cars piling towards me at full pelt then spotting us sitting and slamming on their brakes. Eventually Mini squeezed past stranded car and I followed.

But what a scary, helpless experience. Knowing you can't go anywhere and seeing cars bearing down on you is something I don't want to experience again.

I will be amazed if it turns out that there wasn't any accident there.
Scary moment tonight on Motorway - codefarm
One night I came across a car broken down in the _inside_ lane after a bend. Occupants had decamped and just left it, not even any lights showing. Brown trousers time. Fortunately I had space to get out of the way, glad you were ok too.
Scary moment tonight on Motorway - Adam {P}
Glad you were ok Bobby.
Scary moment tonight on Motorway - PhilW
Similar last Sat on M1. 10.30 pm , v quiet, cruising along at 70 (OK. I'm a bit of a rebel- 75) in inside lane somewhere in S Yorks, couple of cars about 200 metres in front in inside lane. See flashing lights from breakdown truck and big artic on hard shoulder way in front, indicate, move into centre lane in case tyre being changed etc on truck and maybe encroaching on inside lane. Two cars in front stay in inside lane. Get almost level with broken down truck, next but one car in inside lane slows almost to a halt as it passes truck, Golf behind swerves out in front of me, only yards ahead, I look in mirror, clear behind, contemplate moving to outside lane to avoid tailending swerving and now very slow Golf when I realise there is also a broken down car in outside lane. Bang on anchors and don't hit Golf - but very scary, and I could so easily have hit stationary vehicle in outside lane. Wife said it had lights and flashers on, but I was concentrating so hard on truck, car inside and car in front that I didn't see them. Frightening.
Stay alert out there.
--
Phil
Scary moment tonight on Motorway - Aprilia
15 years ago or so, driving south on the M1 in Leicestershire. Very late on a very dark night - not much traffic. Spotted something 'glinting' in the road ahead and slowed down. It was a (live) cow! Mostly black with some white patches on it. Stopped at motorway phone and reported it.
Scary moment tonight on Motorway - Lud
And I hope it received a good dressing-down when it got back to HQ.
Scary moment tonight on Motorway - Thommo
Being a biker, albeit a namby pamby one who choses his nice warm cage when it rains or is cold I find car driving generally boring and motorways almost coma inducing. It is very very easy for me to slip in to a brain neutral state on a motorway and I probably would have hit the cars so describe and yes it is scare for me and them.