Warning of what is coming? - deepwith
Our local Renault+Fiat dealership, Olympian, has gone into receivership this week. Branches in New Milton, Wallisdown, Blandford and two in Salisbury - 180 jobs at risk and lots of punters who have lost money on deposits paid. Not sure what has happened to Olympian Southampton or whether this is a separate company. Is this a sign of what is coming with the economy or just the product? Discuss!!
Warning of what is coming? - bell boy
my local "jeep" dealer went belly up at xmas if you cant sell a "premium" product from a select source with massive advertising what hope have you got with renault and fiat who are hardly cutting edge anymore, people are sick of products that dont do what they purport, as most customers still want a reliable a-to-b car that does what it says in the manual.............it starts and runs.......toys are nice but customer apathy still rules ........and good ....o too.

\"a little man in a big world/\"
Warning of what is coming? - Dave N
I think it is a warning. A lot of main dealers are struggling, despite their hefty labour rates. I know a lot of people here moan about excessive labour rates, but the costs involved in running these places are huge. All the extra taxes are beginning to bite, and as Oldman says, a lot of people are starting to realise running nice new fancy smart motors is all a bit of a game.
Warning of what is coming? - deepwith
That is what I thought. Interestingly this morning I received a gift from renault of a rather fetching dayglo yellow safety cape (sized to fit a yeti I think) with an invitation to test drive any of their MPVs and enter a competition. Afraid too late for renault in this part of the world.
Warning of what is coming? - Aprilia
I think a few years ago some of the smart young marketing wonks at 'headquarters' decided that dealers needed to be in huge glass-and-chrome palaces. The upshot being that smaller franchises were given the boot and these horrible big showrooms set up on American-style edge of town retail parks. This happened with our local VW agent a year or two back. Now I have to drive further to get parts and when you get there there's a load of 'suits' mincing about with pieces of paper. The place must cost a fortune to run because its about 50-feet high and all glass walled - imagine the heat loss at this time of the year.
Obviously they try to recoup some of these costs by loading it on to their labour costs. But there is only so much people will stand. Company car drivers aren't bothered by this of course, but private buyers will stay away.
Warning of what is coming? - bell boy
spot on i paid £125 for a £25 item today in the glass and chrome because my factor couldnt supply ...........guess what car i aint going to buy to retail in future

\"a little man in a big world/\"
Warning of what is coming? - Bill Payer
What I don't get is that they have these glass & chrome places in France and Germany too - and they can hardly be cheaper places to operate in than the UK.
Yet you can apparently take your BMW or Merc over there and get it serviced considerably cheaper than in the UK. How can that be?
What I don't get is that they have these glass &
chrome places in France and Germany too - and they can
hardly be cheaper places to operate in than the UK.
Yet you can apparently take your BMW or Merc over there
and get it serviced considerably cheaper than in the UK.
How can that be?

Ah, yes, you're right. As we all know that's due to higher taxes in Europe and higher social costs, you see. Oh, hang on, that's the wrong way round isn't it? UK is supposed to be the low-cost flexible labour paradigm for Europe? Oh, well....
Warning of what is coming? - rjr
What I don't get is that they have these glass &
chrome places in France and Germany too - and they can
hardly be cheaper places to operate in than the UK.
Yet you can apparently take your BMW or Merc over there
and get it serviced considerably cheaper than in the UK.
How can that be?

Some countries in Europe have legislation that protects dealers from the demands of the manuafacturer (dominant-party protection) so they don't always have to build a glass palace. If they do decide to build one then often the land is cheaper than it is in the UK.
Warning of what is coming? - T Lucas
It is a warning of whats to come,from large main dealer groups to small independant 'back street dealers'.
It is becoming increasingly difficult to earn a decent living in most parts of the motor trade today.
In my part of the world what used to be busy,thriving used car outlets have closed down and been replaced with 'trendy apartments'on a very regular basis,some of these sites had been there for many years and used to sell for very large amounts of money,now the business is worthless and the land is only wanted for building.
Lots of small retail outfits are really in trouble,its a changing world,but look around you,car dealers,Post Offices,local shops,petrol stations closed and the next big culling will be Pubs.
My local Renault outlet is now a Lidl supermarket,probably thats an improvement.
Warning of what is coming? - Andrew-T
I shall be interested to see what happens to my nearest Peugeot dealers. The Northwich one moved across town to one of the 'palaces' described above, selling their old pitch in what has always been a largely residential area. They seem to be surviving. The one in Widnes enlarged their plot (it used to be Leyland until the 80s) and are now also a modernised 'palace'. I occasionally use them for parts, but have never been offered a part-ex deal there worth comparison with anywhere else (funnily enough one of the salesmen there sold me a 205 when he worked for a Rover dealer just down the road). So I await developments.
Warning of what is coming? - machika
We used to have two local Renault dealerships but both were on very small sites, with very small showrooms and cramped customeer parking, and were the exact opposite of what you would have expected of a major European car manufacturer. Renault is now on a multi marque site in Derby, which includes Fiat and Nissan, but it is still a small showroom and nothing like the new sites which are selling Ford and VAG cars, which are of the glass palace type.

In addition, the site which includes the Renault dealership, has changed hands a lot in the last ten years. I thought the UK was about to move away from franchised dealerships anyway.

One thing is for sure, with labour rates as they are at franchised dealers, most people who own their own cars will have little interest in using them for basic servicing.
Warning of what is coming? - Armitage Shanks {p}
In Kempston Beds the local Citroen was pulled down and is going become a Lidl or an Aldi and in Milton Keynes a Renault dealership has become Lexus!
Warning of what is coming? - Andrew-T
My impression is that Renault will keep 'friendly' small dealerships longer than some other marques - we got wife's Clio in Rochdale 3 years ago from one such. They could display 12 cars with difficulty. There was another in Northwich until a few years ago - now a block of trendy flats.
Given the current situation with Pendragon, Lookers, over Reg Vardy it looks like somebody thinks there is still good money to be made in the UK motor trade.
Warning of what is coming? - Vansboy
Certainly it is the BIG groups, that are more active - but more into the finace areas, as far as they are concerned, for profitability, rather than selling vehicles & establishing a GENUINE customer/dealer 'frindship'.

Certainly nothing like HJ & Growler report, from the East.

Maybe I did do the right thing, selling our site (housing) a couple or so years back!

It'd probably be too off topic - but are there ANY B'roomers, in an industry/business, that is booming/doing well, rather than 'ticking over', or worse?

If you let us know what it is & maybe, what sort of vehicles, you run,or are looking to replace your fleet with, to accomodate current trends, in your cashflow, would 'keep it motoring'.With Mods OK.of course!!

VB
Warning of what is coming? - JH
didn't the Northwich one have a "reputation" though?
John
Warning of what is coming? - barney100
I think the continental mechanics receive less pay than British ones and the continentals don't put up with inflated prices, thats why its cheaper to get a service over there.
Warning of what is coming? - drbe
..guess what
car i aint going to buy to retail in future

All right then, just give us a clue!
Warning of what is coming? - JH
If I may slip into "eeh, when I were a lad mode" for a moment, when my Dad bought his first car, a Morris 1000, he could have bought it from any of five (that spring to mind) dealerships in the same town. Most were family firms and you saw the same faces again and again when you went in for servicing and parts - much more frequently in those days. You spoke to the service manager when you dropped off your car and picked it up, you knew him by name. Sure there were dud garages but everyone knew who they were and they were always the big "firms", the little guys couldn't afford to get a bad reputation.

It's the car companies that are driving the change. My local (Northwich) VW dealer lost the franchise a few weeks after my wife bought her car there. We bought it there because it was local, we didn't want a long trek for servicing and they had a good reputation. The salesman told us they'd been given an ultimatum, spend a zillion on the premises or there's another company wiling to put up more money to buy the franchise.

And try paking your car when you take it in! The last time I took the car in for a service I was told that a dealership about 20 miles away had closed down and they were dealing with about 40% more cars for servicing. They're cutting their own throats, they just haven't realised it yet. Kia and friends will take over the world at this rate. You may not like the style but they're solid, the dealer isn't in Outer Mongolia with a bus service from the far edge of the car park to the service desk.

John
Warning of what is coming? - Altea Ego
Someone made a joking remark about Lidl and Aldi taking over locations where the car dealers were.

This aint so far from the truth..It wont be long before Tesco or Wall Mart start selling cars.

Its been whispered for years, but watch this space for huge, out of town, multi franchise car dealerships. Your local, smallish car dealer is as dead as a dead thing.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Someone made a joking remark about Lidl and Aldi taking over
locations where the car dealers were.
This aint so far from the truth..It wont be long before
Tesco or Wall Mart start selling cars.
Its been whispered for years, but watch this space for huge,
out of town, multi franchise car dealerships. Your local, smallish car
dealer is as dead as a dead thing.

*Buying* cars isn't really the issue - you can order from any one of probably hundreds of companies who will deliver to your door.

Even routine servicing could probably be done by a mobile mechanic, but the big issue is what the heck do you do when anything goes wrong with it and you need some warranty assistance?
Warning of what is coming? - Falkirk Bairn
It is not just the Franchised Dealers that have problems - your local independent servicing gargae and local bodyshop also have problems.

My local garage services my car, brakes, repairs but cannot compete on tyres, exhausts etc. However he is feeling the pinch as many of the newer cars have LONG SERVICE INTERVALS (fewer visits!!) so much electronics in them he cannot do the repair - he could replace the fuel pump on a MB Diesel but did not have the technology to link it in to the car.

Likewise the local body shop cannot function as side airbags for example prevent him doing an economic body repair to door - the airbag means he has to get the Franchised dealer to call (£50+) to de-activate the airbag, and again £50 to re-activate after the repair - £100 added on but what is worse it could add 2 days to the repair time as the mobile franchised dealer comes when it suits him not when the body builder needs him.

My local garage are looking to other areas such as mini bus hire in order to keep money coming in as servicing & repairs etc is tailing off.

The garage is A1 - you speak to the MD who is the Chief Mechanic & Receptionist all rolled into one and he does not let you down - ever.
Warning of what is coming? - NowWheels
*Buying* cars isn't really the issue - you can order from
any one of probably hundreds of companies who will deliver to
your door.
Even routine servicing could probably be done by a mobile mechanic,
but the big issue is what the heck do you do
when anything goes wrong with it and you need some warranty
assistance?

I suspect that it will end up following the model of the consumer electronics business, which is shifting towards internet order/postal delivery.

We already have part of that in the motor industry, with the growth of the brokers. The next step will be the adopt the internet retailers' model of treating faults: you go online to get a returns number, then send the gadget back to god knows where, where some dalek emails you a few months later to say that the gadget will be replaced/has been badly repaired/was never received.

However, if madam would like to take out our special on-site maintenance option, at a cost of 25% of the new value per year, then we will send around pronto a cluleless spotty teenager to tell you that it's dead (after you have waited in all day).
Warning of what is coming? - storme
OLYMPIAN are now back in business...they have been bought by another local company called WESTOVER....so it seems that the business is worth buying

their main problems were probably caused by
1: their salesman and staff were too pushy
2: their main ppl were too aloof
3: their aftersales was not very good
4: and ppl dont have to have their car serviced by main dealers anymore

so maybe if they REDUCED their labour costs????

i have a bmw,the main service II charge for it is £315........
i can get it done by an ex bmw technician and keep the warrenty going correctly.....and done in a modern looking garage with great staff looking after me for
£55/hr incl vat... come to £200... all genuine bmw bits

why bother going to a dealer????
no warrenty hassles
no worry about did they/didnt they do this and that
no snootyness from the staff(whos wages i pay for)

the particular olympian dealership i am thinking about were awful from the moment i walked in..to when i left in discust.

most people here will buy a car for various reasons

1: they like it
2: they can afford it
3: they were treated nice in the dealership

maybe im right ... maybe im wrong

either way Olympian are gone.Westover are here...

--
www.storme.co.uk
so maybe if they REDUCED their labour costs????
i have a bmw,the main service II charge for it is
£315........
i can get it done by an ex bmw technician and
keep the warrenty going correctly.....and done in a modern looking garage
with great staff looking after me for
£55/hr incl vat... come to £200... all genuine bmw bits
why bother going to a dealer????
no warrenty hassles
no worry about did they/didnt they do this and that
no snootyness from the staff(whos wages i pay for)

Baffled by why you launched into BMW - Olympian do Fiat, Nissan etc?

You don't hear of Audi, BMW and Merc dealers going out of business.
Warning of what is coming? - Martin Devon
>>
>> so maybe if they REDUCED their labour costs????
>>
>> i have a bmw,the main service II charge for it
is
>> £315........
>> i can get it done by an ex bmw technician
and
>> keep the warrenty going correctly.....and done in a modern looking
garage
>> with great staff looking after me for
>> £55/hr incl vat... come to £200... all genuine bmw
bits
>>
>> why bother going to a dealer????
>> no warrenty hassles
>> no worry about did they/didnt they do this and that
>> no snootyness from the staff(whos wages i pay for)
>>
Baffled by why you launched into BMW - Olympian do Fiat,
Nissan etc?
You don't hear of Audi, BMW and Merc dealers going out
of business.

Are you quite sure about that....really sure?

VBR........M.D.
Warning of what is coming? - Xileno {P}
I suspect that land and property prices plus crippling business rates has a large part to play in all of this.