Passat TDI cambelt change interval - nick62
I have a 2000 "X" pre face-lift Passat with the 115 HP TDI PD engine. The VW engine code is ATJ (unless I'm mistaken)!

There were relatively few of these engines fitted into the Passat as not long after it was introduced it was quickly uprated to 130 HP in the face-lift model (from early 2001).

My question is, what is the recomended change interval for the cam belt on this engine? Is it 40,000 miles or is it 60,000 miles?

Since I brought the car (new) I was always advised by a number of different VW dealers that it was 60,000 and I did get it changed at this mileage. I have now noticed that there is a sticker under the bonnet advising this to actually be 40,000 miles (or 60,000 kilometers!!!).

Am I missing something or is it possible that VW advised dealers that the change interval could be extended to 60,000 miles after they had built them?

I do not know if I should carry-out the second change at 100,000 miles (60K plus "correct" change of another 40K) or wait until 120,000 miles.

Nick
Passat TDI cambelt change interval - oldtoffee
I had a similar situation with my 2000 Passat TDi 115. At 40,000 miles I had the belt changed as per the sticker and service schedule. Approaching 80,000 miles I booked it in for another belt change and the VW dealer checked their records and told me that the *different and improved* belt they fitted at 40,000 miles was good for 60,000 miles which was what new Passats (this was late 2002) had fitted from new hence the change to 60,000 mile intervals. I now drive a Skoda with the PD engine and called Skoda who checked my registration against their database and categorically told me that 67,500 is the change point for my belt. Maybe a phone call to VW will clarify things for you. Maybe not ;-)