How much fuel does your car hold? - leef
Just curious really?? My car chugged into the petrol station last night pretty much empty and took 60.9 litres of unleaded(even thought he car manual says 58 litres) at a cost of £53.

How much petrol/diesel does car take!? also what car has the biggest tank?

Cheers
Lee
How much fuel does your car hold? - cheddar
About 630 miles worth.
How much fuel does your car hold? - mss1tw
60 litres, most I've ever put in was £59 and I can do about 650 miles between fills.

Funny how diesels always have huge tanks. Nothing to do with percieved economy I take it...
How much fuel does your car hold? - normd
my previous VW Caravelle had an 80 litre tank - it pained me to fill it....
How much fuel does your car hold? - leef
80 LITRES!!! It pains me just thinking of the cost!
How much fuel does your car hold? - Vansboy
Think yourself lucky, you've not got one of the first Jaguar XJ's - they had TWIN tanks - never could afford to fill mine up, way back then, so can't say what their capacity was!!

The Omega takes 60 ish litres.Thats bad enough!!

VB
How much fuel does your car hold? - PhilDS
Alhambra takes 70 litres but gauge goes red with more than 15 litres left in it. Will do 450 - 500 miles on 60 litres of diesel.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Xileno {P}
Don't know the capacity but my car does 730 miles on a tank.

Just think of the smile on Gordon Brown's face when you're filling up.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Quinny100
58.5 litres, or enough for about 575 miles daily driving.

The bigger the better as far as I'm concerned, time standing on garage forecourts is wasted time.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Harmattan
Had a Reliant Scimitar Coupé (not the GTE) which had a 20 gallon tank (91 litres in new money).

The Toyota Troopie (HZJ78 or HZJ79 in pick up form and the ancient looking one you see in all the world's trouble spots) is available new with 180 litres (39.5 gallons)as standard, albeit in two tanks. With a 4.2 totally non-electronic diesel engine it needs big tanks for hauling more than two tonnes over long distances, let alone 1100kg of payload or 12 Afghan tribesmen with AK-47 accessories.
How much fuel does your car hold? - local yokel
My 405 TD takes 70 litres, and does 40mpg, while my Bedford 750 Turbo takes 130 litres and does 17-18mpg :-(
How much fuel does your car hold? - Dipstick
Current car - 75 litres, 25 ish mpg, which moight seem bad compared to some others, but in comparison to my old Jaguar XJC V12 - as mentioned above, twin tanked, used to cost me over £100 a complete fill up, 12mpg at best.
How much fuel does your car hold? - mrmender
Had a Reliant Scimitar Coupé (not the GTE) which had a
20 gallon tank (91 litres in new money).
The Toyota Troopie (HZJ78 or HZJ79 in pick up form and
the ancient looking one you see in all the world's trouble
spots) is available new with 180 litres (39.5 gallons)as standard, albeit
in two tanks. With a 4.2 totally non-electronic diesel engine it
needs big tanks for hauling more than two tonnes over long
distances, let alone 1100kg of payload or 12 Afghan tribesmen with
AK-47 accessories.

Yes the Land Crusers we use here in Sudan have 2 fuel tanks as standard was in one the other day took 150L but Diesel is about 40P ish here
How much fuel does your car hold? - doctorchris
Don't know about biggest fuel tank but my Panda 4x4 probably has the smallest at 30L. Even if completely empty you could not squeeze in more than £26 worth of fuel.
How much fuel does your car hold? - daveyjp
I can beat that - early smarts had 22 litre tanks, although after driving on flashing '0' for 20 miles I managed to squeeze 25 in! Even with this capacity 250 miles was achievable without having to run on vapours!!
How much fuel does your car hold? - Oz
BMW 320d (E46 / Y reg), 63 litres.
On rare occasions I've eked over 800 miles out of this. Almost enough for Lands End --> John o' Groats.

In the new 3 Series (E90/E91) the fuel capacity is reduced to 60 litres I believe.

Oz (as was)
How much fuel does your car hold? - Roger Jones
Golf Mk III VR6 Highline - 55L (300ish miles)
MB W124 E320 Coupé - 70L (350-400 miles)
Capri 2.8i - 58L (300-320 miles)
MB W126 300 SE - 90L (450ish miles)
How much fuel does your car hold? - Group B
My car holds 68 litres, I once managed to get the "distance to empty" on the display up to 822 miles, but I've never seen that due to my driving characteristics; usually manage 650 - 675 miles per tank.

My fuel warning light comes on on the dash when there is 10 litres left which is crazy, I could comfortably do 90+ miles with the warning light on!
How much fuel does your car hold? - drbe
BMW 320d (E46 / Y reg), 63 litres.
On rare occasions I've eked over 800 miles out of this.
Almost enough for Lands End --> John o' Groats.
In the new 3 Series (E90/E91) the fuel capacity is reduced
to 60 litres I believe.
Oz (as was)

Didn't someone, a year or two back do Lands End to John o' Groats in a MB 320CDI without refilling?

My E320 CDI has a handbook capacity of 90l, but I have never put more than about 65l in it, even with the yellow warning light on.
How much fuel does your car hold? - commerdriver
>>My E320 CDI has a handbook capacity of 90l
>>
There's German technology, replace the petrol tank with a large hollow handbook....

I'll get my coat.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Roberson
42 Litres or 9.2 Gallons. Enough to do about 450 miles, but I would'd fill it long before that, just in case.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Adam {P}
I think my car's only ever been filled with 55 litres twice in it's life!

The rest of the time I just stick 20 quid in and refill when the light's been on for about 10 miles.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Lud
But... wrong time of night in the wrong part of the country and you can be in for a tiresome few hours, when the light's been on for 50 miles and there's nothing open.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Hamsafar
The Omega takes 75 litres according to the manual, but i never have emptied it that much.
How much fuel does your car hold? - jc
My Allard took 25 gallons-well,23 plus 2 in reserve.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Lud
Wd have been quite economical for a sidevalve Ford V8 owing to light weight? 500 miles?
How much fuel does your car hold? - L'escargot
My Allard took 25 gallons-well,23 plus 2 in reserve.

For the benefit of the youngsters who've never heard of gallons that's approximately 114 litres.
--
L\'escargot.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Vin {P}
The Omega takes 75 litres according to the manual, but i
never have emptied it that much.

I've had mine running on so little fuel that it ran out on the hill up to the station (just coasted over the brow) and it took 74 litres.

V

PS. Assume that I KNOW it was stupid.
How much fuel does your car hold? - trancer
Usually get about 60 litres in my 330D and that will go for about 500 miles.

Previous Petrol 520i took the same amount and was begging for more after about 370 miles.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Adam {P}
>>But... wrong time of night in the wrong part of the country and you can be in for a tiresome few hours, when the light's been on for 50 miles and there's nothing open.<<

Fun though. I like living on the edge.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Marc4Six
68 litres according to the manual, 65 litres the most I have ever put in, good for 300-400 miles:-(

Could be worse, the Lamborghini Espada has a 140 litre tank, about the same range:'-(
How much fuel does your car hold? - JH
leef,
I have no idea. I once had a car (can't remember which one) which had "x galls" written up at the full end instead of the mightily informative one oneth (1/1) that's universal today.

Do any modern cars have such a simple and useful piece of information on their gauge?

I think fuel tank sizes / warning lights and "x miles to go" warnings have all slipped into the health and safety realm where you get told that you're out of fuel with a good 2 gallons to go. After all if you ran out, you might sue someone, cos it wasn't your fault was it?

John
How much fuel does your car hold? - richy
>>Do any modern cars have such a simple and useful piece of >>information on their gauge?

Yep, the 1995 Fiesta Diesel 'classic' - 42l
How much fuel does your car hold? - JH
oh the sheer excitement of, what did you say it was again?

John
How much fuel does your car hold? - deepwith
How spoilt we are - our first car, a 1957 beetle, had no petrol guage - just a lever on the floor to give you an extra gallon when you ran out!
How much fuel does your car hold? - Devonboy78
My 406 (like the 405 mentioned earlier) has a 70 litre tank good for 660 miles if not running flat :-)! Have got 73 -74 litres in once or twice, so when diesel was close to £1 a litre a few months ago the bill did smart a little - I told the cashier to say the amount quickly so it didn't seem quite so bad!

DB
How much fuel does your car hold? - Altea Ego
The Laguna held 70 litres. Once when using it fairly gently I pushed it to the yellow light, and then some till my mub started to squeek and I chickened out. It took 66 litres to the second click off. It had 786 miles on the trip from the last fill.

The Tourvan holds 60 litres. Not pushed it yet.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How much fuel does your car hold? - nutty_nissan
The car I liked, Alpina Bi-Turbo (mid 90s based on standard BMW 5 series) has 110 litre upgraded fuel tank for touring. Probably need it considering you can do 186mph flat out!
How much fuel does your car hold? - Happy Blue!
When we first got our Trajet, SWMBO filled it first and put in 75 litres despite the fact it supposedly only holds 60 or 65! The needle didn't move for 150 miles. Never repeated that feat as it must have taken a good 15 minutes to get the last 10 litres in. I've never put in more than 55 litres, even with the warning light having come on.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
How much fuel does your car hold? - frazerjp
My Ford Ka can hold 40 litres, which on Shell Optimax can last up to 400 miles on a good run.

However my Pug 205 1.1 had a 50 litre tank & got 500 miles out of it on a long trip on premium unleaded which was purchased from a small garage in County Tyrone!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
How much fuel does your car hold? - David Horn
54 litres in my Xsara. Get 500 miles out of it every time, and usually have about 5 litres left when filling up.
How much fuel does your car hold? - mss1tw
60 litres, most I've ever put in was £59 and I can do about >> 650 miles between fills.

Looks like I spoke too soon, this tank only seems to have done 550...weird.
How much fuel does your car hold? - cheddar
I am not actually sure what the Mondeo holds, it usually says 620 to 650 miles range on the trip when filled up though if I want to waste a minute or two I can get another 1/2 gal in. I have done 600 miles between fills with a good bit left by the gauge however I tend to fill up when convienient rather than when empty, when getting milk, a paper, checking tyre pressures or when I feel like some fruit pastilles!
How much fuel does your car hold? - tyro
My Ford Ka can hold 40 litres, which on Shell Optimax
can last up to 400 miles on a good run.

You put Optimax in your Ka?????!!!
Frazer - you're spoiling her. I sure hope mine doesn't find out!

FWIW, the most miles between fill-ups that I've managed in mine is 350. On that occasion I got 35.01 litres into the tank. Being of a cautious disposition, I'm not planning on trying to better that - but those figures suggest a range pretty similar to Frazer's machine.
How much fuel does your car hold? - sierraman
How spoilt we are - our first car, a 1957 beetle,
had no petrol guage - just a lever on the floor
to give you an extra gallon when you ran out!

The early Triumph Herald had a reserve,operated by turning a tap in the boot IIRC.
Sierra takes 60l according to the manual.As it often carries a heavy load I only half fill the tank,to keep weight down.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Group B
I think fuel tank sizes / warning lights and "x miles
to go" warnings have all slipped into the health and safety
realm where you get told that you're out of fuel with
a good 2 gallons to go. After all if you ran
out, you might sue someone, cos it wasn't your fault was
it?

My Dad would disagree. He used to have a Alfa 166 twin spark, which used to run out of petrol when it still said 7 or 8 miles range on the computer screen. It happened to him 3 times before he decided he ought to ignore the computer and fill up when the warning light came on!

I've heard that Saabs can go for another 2 or 3 miles after the display says "D.T.E. 0 miles" but I wouldnt risk it in mine, being a diesel.

;o)
How much fuel does your car hold? - Roger Jones
Petrol weighs 740g per litre, so the weight saving gained by keeping a 60 litre tank half empty is about that of a six-year-old child.

I know there are filters in the system, but I don't like letting the tank get near empty for fear of sludge/gunge/whatever getting stirred up and doing something nasty.
How much fuel does your car hold? - Chad.R
90l - Toyota Landcruiser Colorado.
Most I've ever managed to get in is 85l even with the warning light on for around 50-60 miles.
45l - Toyota Yaris.
Only managed a max of 39l in this, again with the warning "flash" on for 50-60 miles.
How much fuel does your car hold? - BeeBee
How does one actually "brim" the tank to know the true fuel tank capacity? If you fill the car to the point of being able to see fuel at the filler cap, then surely the tank is full PLUS the filler neck as well?

Also (and this is where my technical knowledge falls down), don't modern cars have some kind of fuel recovery/recycling pipework that recovers excess unburnt fuel and returns it to the tank? If so, would over filling the tank also start to flood all of this recovery/recycling pipework (I know that there's proper terminology for this, I just don't know it, so go ahead and point and laugh!)

I guess what I'm getting at is:

1. When you say you're managing to squeeze x number of litres into your tank before the cutout, how much of it is actually going into your tank and how much of it is going elsewhere in the system?

2. When the forecourt fuel nozzle cuts out, how does it actually detect when to cut out? (This one's always puzzled me!)

BB
How much fuel does your car hold? - Big Bad Dave
It sucks air in through a second hole at the same time as it pumps fuel out. When fuel reaches the level of the nozzle it can?t suck any more air in and cuts out. If you aim the nozzle at your face and look closely, you can see the second hole.
How much fuel does your car hold? - mike hannon
Every Honda I've had, of whatever (petrol) engine size, has had a fuel tank capacity to give it a range of 500 miles or so. Seems reasonable thinking and I've got so used to it I can tell from the tripmeter almost exactly what the tank will take when I fill up.
How much fuel does your car hold? - SlidingPillar
Not enough! My Morgan 3 wheeler only holds 3.5 gallons, with the last half gallon not really usuable. Ok so it does 45mph driven carefully but for a car without a proper gauge, you do enter worry mode quite early. (I have a gauge of sorts - a stick with notches in it!).