timing belt on vauxhall vectra - annyab
my vectra started making tapping/knocking noise, sound coming from cam belt area. took to garage and informed that it needs new timing belt.as car still drives does it mean that no damage has been done to engine.new timing kit being put in next week.
timing belt on vauxhall vectra - Dynamic Dave
as car still drives does it mean that no damage has been done to engine.

Correct. However, if you continue using it in its current status, there are very strong chances damage will be done. The tapping/knocking noise is giving you an early warning.

Personally I wouldn't even start the engine, let alone drive the car until the problem has been rectified.
timing belt on vauxhall vectra - annyab
thank you for your help.
car has not been driven since monday when problem arose.
car being towed to garage on monday for repair.
timing belt on vauxhall vectra - SjB {P}
Suggest you ask that they change the tensioner as well as the belt. Some garages will do so as a matter of course, but not all, and not to do so is likely asking for trouble.
timing belt on vauxhall vectra - Dynamic Dave
I would imagine it's the tensioner that's making the noise. Either that or maybe the waterpump.
timing belt on vauxhall vectra - 42 years and counting ...
It is almost certainly the tensioner - known problem.
timing belt on vauxhall vectra - Ruperts Trooper
The waterpump's also a known problem!

Since the waterpump on most Vauxhalls is driven by the cambelt, any failure of the pump bearing causes cambelt failure with expensive results. The waterpumps aren't unreliable but they don't last for ever.

The original belt change on my X18XE1 Astra was published as 80,000, but when Vauxhall changed their recommendation to 40,000 for ALL models I followed suit for the belt itself but change the tensioner, idle pulley and waterpump at 80,000 as well.
timing belt on vauxhall vectra - Beetlefan
I would have the water pump replaced regardless of whether it is giving problems at the moment, water pumps do give problems and you have to ask yourself "will the water pump last until the next cam belt change?"
timing belt on vauxhall vectra - redviper
I would have the water pump replaced regardless of whether it
is giving problems at the moment, water pumps do give problems
and you have to ask yourself "will the water pump last
until the next cam belt change?"

I agree, while the belt is off, change the pump, becasue they dont last forever, and you will have to change it at somepoint it may as well be now!, ...............when they seize you will know about it
--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6