Problem Golf - noel2538
I have a Golf 1999 V reg Mark4, I had it since March 2005.Starting having problem with idle needle going up and down. Took it to VW put it on their computer and decided it needed a new Throttle Body Housing and Lampa sensor.

Its since been back to the dealer for this problem and its going in again on Saturday 28th Jan. Ive explained to them that when I pull away and want to excelarate, the car hesitate, I then have to dip the clutch to get it to go faster!!

The mechanic at VW said maybe I should drive it harder, but it already using more fuel than I think I should!! Im at a loss and my warranty runs out this March!!

Ive even put Fuel Filter, its done under 70,000 miles. Not due for plug until 80k. Maybe it needs another Throttle Body!!
Any advise welcome.

Problem Golf - Happy Blue!
Driving harder may mean that the engine gets a thorough workout, and that short term increase in fuel use, is compensated by a longer term improvement in driveability and economy.

Try changing the HT leads and plugs now, using Shell Optimax for a few tanks and giving it an Italian Tune-up.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Problem Golf - noel2538

I did think about changing plugs and HT leads but VW dont think that will make any difference, but it wont hurt to do it.
I can understand driving hard in the short term but the mechanic was suggesting I do that all the time which is not ideal and its make your right leg ache!
Its just had its service but I might get the timing rechecked once Ive done the plugs etc.

Problem Golf - Pezzer
Noel, I had this exact same issue on my old (X) 1.8T over its life. I consider I drove mine quite hard so this was not a solution. I also seem to remember Turbo Dump valves regularly being replaced at the same time - always felt slower !
Mine was a Co Car so I wasnt too bothered but I did ask a mechanic once why it kept happening and I got the impression that it was a common problem which wasnt going to go away. I think he said that some Fleet Cos know all about it and rather than pay for a new Throttle body just instructed the dealers to 'clean' them. I didnt really understand if I'm honest and let it go as my new car was due.

PS Fuel consumption was pants....

P