Private registration query - teabelly
I am intending to buy a car which is currently on a private plate. Getting the original plate back is no problem but how does this work when the car will be taxed and insured & MOT'd on the private number when the old one is reissued? I assume I'll have to go to Post Office to change the tax disk from the old reg to the new one for a start.

Anyone know how long it takes to get an original reg returned when changing cars?

Anyone done this sort of thing before?
teabelly
Private registration query - wobblyboot
I bought a car with a private reg from a dealer, on the understanding that the plate was not included. The dealer sorted out the re-registration, and sent me a new tax disc and number plates a week or so later. I then went out into the street and swapped them over. Insurance was straightforward as well, they go by the VIN rather than the reg, but I got them to send me a revised policy anyway.
All databases seem to have been updated, insurance company websites recognise the new reg when checking prices on renewal, and Toyota's computer also recognises it when ordering parts.
For me the process was stress free and easy, but it felt a bit odd screwing on the new plates in the street.
Private registration query - Collos25
Do not forget every time you change the plate you add a new owner to the logbook .
Private registration query - Bromptonaut
Do not forget every time you change the plate you add
a new owner to the logbook .

Is that always so? Our car was sold on a standard 05 plate and subsequently had a cherished number transferred off retention. V5 shows previous keepers as NONE.
Private registration query - NowWheels
>> Do not forget every time you change the plate you
add
>> a new owner to the logbook .
Is that always so? Our car was sold on a standard
05 plate and subsequently had a cherished number transferred off retention.
V5 shows previous keepers as NONE.

I'd love to know a definitive answer to this one, because I'm about to put a cherished plate onto a used car, and don't want to add an extra owner.

One of my previous cars was actually on its third plate: the econd owner put on a cherished plate, then removed it before resale and it got another new number ... but the V5 only showed one previous owner when I bought it. Hope that's still the case.
Private registration query - Collos25
Our one owner MB went from 1 owner to three when we sold it and replaced the plate with its original.
Private registration query - Doc
I assume I'll have to go to
Post Office to change the tax disk from the old reg
to the new one for a start.

The transfer scheme enables a registration number to be moved directly from one vehicle to another. Only the registered keeper of a vehicle is entitled to apply to transfer its registration number.

You will need the V317 cherished transfer application form. It has a tear-off sheet containing notes for guidance in question and answer form.
The completed application and associated documents should be sent to your nearest
DVLA Local Office.
For the address you can look in leaflet V100 "Registering and Licensing your Vehicle" which is available from Post Office branches.

The local DVLA office will issue the new tax discs and amended MOTs.

Private registration query - bell boy
correct doc and it normally takes 2/3 days all in,and you just send the old tax disc back when the new one arrives.
Private registration query - Wally Zebon
On a similar note, I wrote off my car a year past last October. My insurance company asked me if I wanted the private plate off it and in a moment of madness I said NO.

The number is still registered to the written off car.

Is there a way for me to get my hands on the plate again?

Private registration query - IanJohnson
When we changed the wife's (moved number onto a new car) the DVLA asked for a photocopy of the tax disc to be submitted with the documents, they did not see the original until after we got the new one.

Don't rely on the garage alone, the Audi dealer we used hadn't a clue what to do and it only got sorted when I spoke to the DVLA direct.

Wife was a little disconcerted when the new tax disc and registration document for the old car arrived, she spent a few days driving it with the wrong plates on! APNR would show that tax disc WAS issued for the number on the car since Audi had taxed the new one!