Will FIAT survive in the UK? - henry k
Will FIAT survive in the UK with the apparently dwindling number of dealers?

My question was triggered by
>>"Without a local dealer for warranty work I'm not sure I want to proceed anyway." posted by Jase

My nearest, recently opened, Fiat showroom has closed.
My nearest spares depts are a fair trek.
I do not live in the country but near Kingston.
I checked the excellent FIAT dealer locator for London.
Just 20 dealers but only 12 are inside the M25 and the others way outside.
Manchester has 18, Birmingham 11, Southampton 8
These dealers are also spread miles around.

I can understand buying a "special" car even if the dealers are few but FIAT does not fall into that category.

I do see many newish FIATs. Are they going to do a Lancia?
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - RobC
My local Fiat dealer has a new Grande Punto tucked away in the corner under wraps.

Under the covers it looks quite a large car, but the bottom line is if Fiat are to survive, this car has got to sell big time.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - JH
and be profitable.

John
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - barchettaman
Will FIAT survive in the UK?

Will FIAT survive at all, anywhere, should be the question...but mentioning Lancia it´s a pity the UK don´t get them, as they make some really lovely looking stuff.

I´d agree that the new Punto needs to sell bigstyle, particularly after the Stilo failed so dismally.

The new Chroma just looks weird - like a Daewoo Tacuma that´s been sat on. Can´t see it setting the UK fleet sales figures alight.

And as for a Barchetta replacement - I ain´t holding my breath... but how can perfection be improved upon ;-)
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Hamsafar
Coincindence? today, I noticed that the fairly newly-built Alfa/FIAT showroom in Nottingham is all boarded up, and the carpark empty. Couldn't believe my eyes. It was always Ilkeston Co Op, but it looks like it changed hands just before closing down as there is a new unpronouncable name where it used to say Co Op. I'm not surprised, the service was worse than non-existent.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - T Lucas
Saw a new Croma on the motorway,i think we can safely assume that is going to be the biggest depreciater in 2006.Looked like a shed on wheels.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - mlj
Well I have yet to see a new Croma. Our Fiat dealer is a multi-franchise operation alongside Kia, Subaru, Daihatsu, Hyundai.
Maybe that is the way forward. Or take the Citroen approach and sell on price alone.

I do hope the new Punto succeeds: I think Fiat make some good cars, more reliable than their reputation suggests and yes, I do speak from experience.

Having said that, I thought the original Multipla looked superb. As original as the new Croma looks bland.

And as for the Doblo.....
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Robert J.
there is a new unpronouncable name where it used to say Co Op

Ishok, it wasn't 'sunwin' by any chance was it ? All the Coop garages seen to be re-named as sunwin (including the Mazda one in Loughborough), who I think are a part of Coop.
Oh yes, that's it - Sunvin? (can't say w)
Forgettable then, if not unpronouncable!
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - auld reekie
Well if they do I hope they got their act together. I just got rid of a 02 1.2 Punto, darn thing cost me £450.00 to get sorted, coils and ecu died on me at 25.550 mls. I'm told that it looks like a spark went the wrong way from the coils and fried the ecu. A bit of research on the net I discover that it's a very common problem with 02 models as is the clutch starts to go about the same time. Mine was starting the odd judder now and again, perhaps I got rid of it just in time. Next thing is the power steering commonly fails just after 25000mls.

Thank god I'm shot of it now, no more fiats for me.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - alex

Fiat has had crises here in the past. Quite a few dealers shut down in the early 1990s because Fiat, at that time, had ageing models. But the arrival of the Punto (series 1) restored the UK dealers' fortunes.

Now it seems the firm is going through a similar phase. Hopefully the imminent arrival of the Grande Punto (already being displayed at Harrods in London) will revive UK dealers' fortunes.

Fiat would seem to have some good models in the pipeline. There will additional versions of the Grande Punto, a new Stilo and a new Fiat 500 (which will form the basis of the next Ford Ka) will be built at a new joint Fiat/Ford manufacturing facility in southern Poland.

In a recent financial briefing the UBS bank reckoned that the profit margin on the Grande Punto was Euros 3,000 per unit. If that's true it will bring much needed revenue to Fiat's coffers.

Orders for the Grande Punto exceed 100,000 in mainland Europe.
Prices start at Euros 10,990 (for the basic three-door 1.2 eight valve Active) in Germany. I would imagine UK prices will be quite a bit above the current Punto (series 2) range.

On the other hand, some of that Grande Punto profit is already
being handed back in the form of zero per cent finance. Fiat (Germany) www.fiat.de is already offering zero percent finance on this vehicle.

Will FIAT survive in the UK? - bradgate
Fiat / Alfa dealership in Leicester has also recently closed.

Not surprising really as it once employed the rudest, pushiest salesman i have ever encountered...

Fiat will be the next MG Rover. The Alfa Romeo and Ferrari brands will be sold off, Alfa probably to VAG or RenaultNissan.

Fiat itself will continue as a small-scale manufacturer, selling mostly to the Italian domestic market. It won't have the resources to develop competitive new models, sales will steadily decline and it will collapse a few years later.

Absolutely inevitable.
I was wondering if some of these flagging car makers will switch to 'developing' countries like India.
We have already seen tobacco companies starting all over again in these places as well as companies like cocacola, pepsicola and various other purveyors of addictive chemical concoctions which have fallen out of their 1980's heyday.
Tastes in the west are changing and other parts of the world are gaining huge numbers of new and dare I say naive consumers. For example, India is generating 64 times more electricity than it did 15 years ago, the economy must be rising fast, whereas most in the west seem to be teetering on the brink.
Bradgate, that´s more than possible. However, do not underestimate the power of the Italian unions and the political will in Italy to keep it going, if the new models fail to haul it back up towards profitability.
BTW a Grande Punto in Harrods....?!? Can´t be many prospective buyers there. Surely Netto/Asda would have been more appropriate..

The Grande Punto makes its Harrods' debut on January 29. It'll be on display for two months.

And, yes, barchettaman you're quite correct with your references to the Italian unions and the political will in Italy. The classic example of a Italian survivor is the loss-making national airline Alitalia.

Ishok Leyland refers to the Indian market's potential. Well, Fiat and Tata Motors have just, or are about to announce, a joint venture agreement. In any case, wasn't the popular Indica styled by an Italian design house ?
Designed by IDEA of Italy.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Collos25
All big Italian companies make a loss and survive its the Italian way ,they must provide half the world with diesel engines even Ford now buy them .They have being going broke and closing down since the fifties and yet survive and produce marvelous cars Ferrati,Masserati,Alfa,and the new Lancias are really superb.I think they will out live Ford and Vauxhall in this country.
"I think they will out live Ford and Vauxhall in this country."

Not with sales declining by 50% a year, new product like the Croma and with no dealerships in cities like Nottingham & Leicester they won't...
You may well be right about the unions and government. Fiat may well be kept on life-support for political reasons, but it has no future outside Italy.

State owned Alitalia has been a loss-making basket case for years, and continues to be propped up by the lucky Italian taxpayer.

I had thought the forthcoming Grande Punto was going to be a lot more expensive in the UK. But I was wrong.

According to fiat.co.uk it's priced from £7,594 for the 3-door and from £8,194 for the 5-door. This has to be great value.

Will FIAT survive in the UK? - fray bentos
How can Alex think that those prices are good value? If you're gonna buy a small car,it would be cheaper to buy a depriciation proof VW Polo, even at the list price of £7495!
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - carl_a
How can Alex think that those prices are good value? If
you're gonna buy a small car,it would be cheaper to buy
a depriciation proof VW Polo, even at the list price of
£7495!

VW Polo's don't hold their value like they used to, Fabias's seem to be better in that regard. The 1.2 54 bhp engine is very slow, 0-60 in 17.5 seconds !

Give me the new Fiat Punto any day.
Wron to say they have no future outside Italy they are massive sellers in Germany and Holland.The Alfa 156 is almost as common as a Corsa in the uk.
Brad,
"the lucky Italian taxpayer"? You don't think you might be contributing a bob or two via the EEC?
John
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - ajit
I was wondering if some of these flagging car makers will
switch to 'developing' countries like India.

They came with a great product - the Uno and Palio, screwed up with bad service - first took deposits for the Uno and never delivered /refunded on time. Then poor after sales.

They are in the process of tying up with Tata to distribute the Palio and the Grande Punto
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Xileno {P}
Fiat should concentrate on building small cars - which they have always been very good at - and leave the middle and top end of the market to Alfa which has a good badge.

Tighten up on some quality issues (although they are much improved) and away you go.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - madf
Apart from the new Panda, the rest of the range looks.. yawn.

The reliability issues they have had still dog them.

Many of their dealers are quite small and I suspect struggle with the more complex (i.e lots of gadgets) models.

Having driven 1 Fiat in the past 10 years - a Marea.. and compared it with the 124 I drove 30 years ago.. they have gone backwards imo.

Frankly I suspect I'm like many when I say I neither know nor care.. (but I do like the Panda:-)
madf
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - T Lucas
Fiat have been found out.Too many years making sub standard product and sold purely on price.I think in the UK and across Europe Fiat have lost lots of sales to the Korean brands,Kia and Hyundai,which are priced very keenly and with a very comprehensive extended warranty package.
For most people when they buy a new car the price,warranty and location of the main dealer are very important when they are making their decision.
Cars as white goods,the Koreans do very well,Fiat do not.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - machika
There are more FIAT dealers in my locality than there are Citroen dealers. We tend to look at things from a UK point of view, rather than the wider European scene. I also don't think the Italians would accept the demise of the company as we watched our own home car industry disappear.
The Panda is made in Poland: cheaper than Italy.

madf
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - PR {P}
UBS bank has just released a statement saying they expect Fiat to be THE most profitable car maker in Europe in 1Q 2005, although they admit the competition isnt terribly strong at the moment. With the Grande Punto order book bulging, and the Croma orders are as hoped for, and the Alfas 159 and Brera being sold already in Europe I think they'll be ok, and not just in Italy.
The Panda is made in Poland: cheaper than Italy.
madf

They make some cars in other countries, which is no different to other volume manufacturers, including Honda and Nissan. Are Honda and Nissan likely to stop manufacture in Japan?
I should have said Toyota and Nissan. Do Honda make cars outside of Japan now?
Henry,
Swindon was outside of Japan last time I went by. :-)
John
I couldn't recall if they were still at Swindon.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - autumnboy
What some of you won't remember, in the 60's Vauxhall went through a bad patch with with their range of cars through bad rusting problems, same as Alfa in the 70's.

But they are still around today allthough most come from abroad, Spain, Poland and etc.

Also if you want a City Rover theres plenty of them now from a recent shipment at Portbury waiting for some fool to buy one.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - NowWheels
What some of you won't remember, in the 60's Vauxhall went
through a bad patch with with their range of cars through
bad rusting problems, same as Alfa in the 70's.
But they are still around today allthough most come from abroad,
Spain, Poland and etc.

Vauxhall isn't really Vauxhall any more: it's just a rebadged Opel, and exists only in the UK -- everywhere else, the same cars are sold as Opels. Even in Ireland, the only other r/h drive market in Europe, Vauxhall quit 20 years ago because Opels sold much better.

If Fiat was to stop making cars and withdraw from every market except Italy, where they sold Renaults with a Fiat badge, would you say that Fiat was still around?
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Adam {P}
Yes, I would.
Yes, I would.

So you couldnt't buy a FIAT in England, and you couldn't get one in any nearby European country, and the only Fiats left on the road were ancient relics, and you'd still say that Fiat was still around?

Very clever. Good to know that by that definition, Jowett is still aound.
Holden are around aren't they? Well - they were - now they use Vauxhalls badged as Holdens. Does that mean they don't exist?

And don't be so blooming patronising NW. I have no idea who Jowett is but I'm guessing he was someone stupid/evil/nasty and the fact I've disagreed with you makes me somewhat like him.
That would be the Jowett as in....Jowett Javelin?

::Walks away red faced wishing he had an edit button::

You were still patronising though. I'm not clever in the slightest.
You were still patronising though. I'm not clever in the slightest.

C'mon Adam, you made what you hoped was a wise-guy one-liner -- what sort of response do you expect?
I thought I'd break with tradition and make a concise and lucid post.
...I think in the UK and across Europe Fiat have lost lots of sales to the Korean brands,Kia and Hyundai,which are priced very keenly and with a very comprehensive extended warranty package....

In Italy too. Colossal amount of advertising and marketing for Kia, Hyundai etc, which sell very well. All v worrying for a company used to a pretty exclusive home market.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - mare
Apart from the new Panda, the rest of the range looks..
yawn.

Thankfully they have now facelifted the Doblo. Now it's just ugly as opposed to Ssyanyong Modus ugly.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - JamesH
In a recent financial briefing the UBS bank reckoned that the
profit margin on the Grande Punto was Euros 3,000 per unit.
If that's true it will bring much needed revenue to
Fiat's coffers.

How much margin is there normally in a supermini?

If they're being thrown together to too tight a budget, Fiat won't get those much needed sales.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - mrmender
In my Humble opinion its all down to that one little thing brand image Alpha still has a bit.... What springs to mind with Fiat...fair to good small cars & Not a lot else... Come on it's Italy's Rover
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - bacon&eggs
Or should the question be - will any car maker survive in any export market. Long gone are the days when the Brits bought BL/Morris/Rover, the French bought Peugeot/Citroen and Renault, The Germans bought BMW/Audi/VW etc etc etc (you get what I mean)VFM is here and its here to stay (the reason why Leyland went under?). As for will FIAT survive in the UK......(thinks for a small while) I think fiat are still trying to shrug off the old image of cars that rust in a couple (3-4) of years and are unreliable. Look at a 10-12 year old Tipo, Punto, Bravo/Brava, Tempra or Coupe and it will be in better condition than a same age Ford,Vauxhall or Rover. But us Brits cant seem to get past the stigma of old Fiats (pre 1990) and that means that we are missing out on some great cars (on the secondhand market of course aged between 6-18 months). Thats how I see it.........
"Look at a 10-12 year old Tipo, Punto, Bravo/Brava, Tempra or Coupe and it will be in better condition than a same age Ford,Vauxhall or Rover. "

Bodily? Yes
Mechanically and electrically? I doubt it.

And many Fiats have electrical problems brought on by poor design/assembly.. and Punto rear radius arms are notorios..

My local garage .. who fix older cars .. hate Fiats... they see a lot of them...:-) (and Peugeots and Renaults as well...)
madf
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - bell boy
And many Fiats have electrical problems brought on by poor design/assembly.. and Punto rear radius arms are notorios..

My local garage .. who fix older cars .. hate Fiats... they see a lot of them...:-) (and Peugeots and Renaults as well...)
madf

i agree but surely its your local garages bread and butter?

\"a little man in a big world/\"
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - tyro
In my Humble opinion its all down to that one little
thing brand image Alpha still has a bit....

Yup, BazzaBear is right :-)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=38...4
>> In my Humble opinion its all down to that one
little
>> thing brand image Alpha still has a bit....
Yup, BazzaBear is right :-)
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=38...4

Hey it was me who said that!
You've been quoted. Not many people can say that.

Can I have your autograph?

John
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Stonk
We're getting a brand new multipla next week for the missus. I checked out reviews from owners and they were blinding, much better than our previous Scenic 2 (which was great) - she liked it so we ordered one.

We had a bit of a drive to our local Fiat dealer though (we are in the home counties). When we got there the salesman didn't want to bother with us so we ordered it elsewhere.

We never get the same car model twice hence a Scenic to a multipla. Variety is the spice and all that.

Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Stonk
You can't say S P I C E here? what on earth is offensive there?
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Dynamic Dave
You can't say S P I C E here? what on earth is offensive there?

The first 4 letters. No worry, I've now amended your post. DD.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Sofa Spud
The new Punto looks quite nice, I don't think it's Fiat's last gasp, CityRover-type, gesture. But the Croma has the wheels in the wrong place, making it look hunched like a labrador looking for a spot to dispose of its load of recycled Pedigree Chum.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - ukbeefy
Frankly I can't see FIAT suriving 10 yrs...it is too small and has a weak brand/market position...It has lost alot of ground in its home market. my last few trips to Italy showed how the Italians have taken to other cars especially the Kia/Hyundai segment in small cars and also buying German cars at the mid level eg BMW 3 series...

I can't see how it can be profitable long term...but then as someone said some of the larger Italian firms year in year out seem to defy gravity.

The wraps have now come off the new Grande Punto at my local Fiat dealer.
First impressions are of a good looking (smallish) car with a decent interior.
If it drives as well as it looks, stays reliable and the dealers get their customer service act together, then Fiat have got a fighting chance.
Problem is, it takes more than one model to keep your head above water, so their future models have got to be good, no question.
Problem is, it takes more than one model to keep your
head above water, so their future models have got to be
good, no question.

Hasn't FIAT often been pretty much a one-model company in the past?
Yep, and this has been their problem for years. Their small cars have always done well, but Stilo sized and above have been the opposite.
It will take more than the Croma to turn it around, but the new Punto is a step in the right direction.
Yep, and this has been their problem for years. Their small
cars have always done well, but Stilo sized and above have
been the opposite.

Hmm, the Ritmo/Strada was a rustbucket, earlier models such as he 124 were very popular.

I thought that the Tipo was a great car in many ways -- remarkably roomy, very comfortable, and quite refined. I was surprised it didn't sell better.
The Brava & Bravo were good cars as well. I remember hiring out a Bravo for a few days & was reluctant to hand it back.
What Fiat need to do is look at new niches, such as the Sedici 4x4 with Suzuki.
A replacement for the Chris Bangle designed Fiat coupe would also get more punters into their showrooms.
They have replaced it, kind of - it´s called the Brera, and has an Alfa badge on the front.
Now, a replacement for the Barchetta.....
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Altea Ego
Will Fiat survive in the UK?

Nope. Sales are dwindling, Full retail prices are not being maintained. They are hovering at the point where the costs for making R/H drive cars become prohibitive.

Fiat UK is dead.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Didn´t fancy a Croma as a replacement for the Goona then, eh? Can´t think why. Fine looking motor...
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Altea Ego
Oh Dont get me wrong, I have had Fiats and actually have a soft spot for them ( I could still find garage room for a 128 3P coupe or 131 2.0 litre mirifiori sport abarth) I only have to look at a long line of ritmo's, strada's tempra's etc to realise they have turned out a lot of sheds for years.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I quite agree, and cannot understand how the same company can produce inspired stuff like the Panda whilst churning out drivel like the Stilo/Croma.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - E.S.Blofeld
I don't think so, they've not made a decent car since the Croma and Strada. Oh and I own a MK IV Ford Escort. It's a left hand drive and in new condition. It's got to be seen to be believed. I used to own a Ford Sierra but it gave me nothing but aggro so I gave it the boot and bought the escort instead.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - bacon&eggs
I used to
own a Ford Sierra but it gave me nothing but aggro
so I gave it the boot and bought the escort instead.

In my time I have had 3 Ford Sierras, and they were all fine cars. Regardless of body condition the mechanicals of the car kept running and running. If they had been looked after better when they were younger they would have no doubt lasted longer (and if Ford had invested in better rustproofing on the early models). Much better than the VW Scirroco that I had years ago.......
RobC
"Problem is, it takes more than one model to keep your head above water, so their future models have got to be good, no question."

I can tell you there are least more than four models including a 130bhp diesel being launched at present.

Size wise its slightly bigger than its outgoing brother.
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Sofa Spud
Perhaps Fiat should just make small cars, drop Lancia altogether and use the Alfa Romeo name to cover everything else in the volume sector.

Cheers, SS
I think the opposite, Alfa have been struggling for sometime with sales in the UK, even now with the new models. Perhaps a change could do them good. After all Lancia was the car to have in the 70's with the Delta in rallying.
The way I see it, if Alfa cannot turn it around in terms of quality, reliability & dealers who care about the product & their customers, then they will have no chance, especially as they now have an ex-BMW product manager running the show.
The same goes for Fiat.
Making cars is a seriously competitive business, and manufacturers need to ensure that their new high-volume products are class-leading when they come to market to ensure any hope of survival.
Does this apply to FIAT...?
New Panda - yes
New Grande Punto - yes, near to or at the top of the class
Stilo - emphatic no. Was off the pace from day 1.
Multipla - well yes actually, it was innovativative and in demand at the beginning, but the factory it´s produced in couldn´t keep up with demand....
New Croma - oh no. Oh no oh no. Looks awful.
Ullyses - not really a volume model. Leccy problems holding it back
Dobló - hmm.

It´s not looking great, is it?
Barchettaman

You've forgotten one :- Scudo (People carrier)
There are a few I think I´ve left off - I was thinking of the volume models in the posting.
It´s a bit sad really, the fact that they can´t get their act together. We have so much fun in the Barchie...it just feels so ´right´. Prior to that we´d nearly bought a New Panda. A mate sells them here in Frankfurt (poor guy) and lent us a Stilo for the weekend a couple of years ago - what a let down.
There are obviously alot of talented designers and engineers in the organisation - what a shame that so many other factors are holding the organisation back.
hk i wonder if there was a thread posted somewhere in Italy with something like "will rover survive" last april i very much doubt it
I realy hope they do survive on their own.... Can't see it

Will FIAT survive in the UK? - jase1
The fact that people are even asking the question is a death knell for the company.

The more people know Fiat are in trouble, the more will be scared off buying one, fearing being left with a car with no support that they cannot sell. Fiat owners in the UK will be in a far worse position than Rover owners are now since Fiat is a foreign company. Look at what happened to Daewoo and resale value around 2000 or so.

Fiat are stuffed, no two ways about it. Indeed, with the exception of the German car makers I can't see any real future for any of the Euro makers long-term.
Fiat are stuffed, no two ways about it. Indeed, with the
exception of the German car makers I can't see any real
future for any of the Euro makers long-term.

Yes and it's all you people who drive 3 series BMW are to blame!
The above comment is to be taken light hartedly but i think many of you will know where i'm comming from
Some good news ... for a change.

From what I read the Grande Punto is now the best selling car in mainland Europe.

www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=...8
Good news for who?
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - Paul I
Thing two things dog Fiat ? big cars which are hopelessly over priced ? my local dealer has the new Croma in for 18K worth next year may be 10 K trade and after 3 years ?4K so that looks a good investment !!!

The other thing is Fiat UK who allegedly suffer a bit in the old cash flow stakes and so what every dealer to refuse warranty work, eventually even the good dealers stop doing good will work because they can?t afford it and that leaves a punter with (a) car which a doesn?t work, (B) a car which depreciates quickly and a car which is unsaleable except back to a Fiat dealer in the form of a trade in because no one else wants it !!
Will FIAT survive in the UK? - PR {P}
I believe most if not all manufacturer warranties are insured, ie they pay an annual premium for all their repairs. Also Fiat UK recently returned to profit.
New Punto top selling car in Europe.