Classic Vehicle Owners. - jc
LRP(lead replacement petrol)is being withdrawn.What to do?-leaded fuel is still available-where?? Go to www.leadedpetrol.co.uk and find out.I found I've got a stockist within 2 miles and three others not faraway.
Classic Vehicle Owners. - Roger Jones
At the prices they charge? You're better off with a timing adjustment and lead substitute additive such as Castrol Valvemaster.
Classic Vehicle Owners. - Cliff Pope
I've used ordinary unleaded with Millers VSP in my Triumph 2000 ever since leaded petrol was withdrawn. (I tried LRP but it rotted the carburettor diaphrams)
It's done about 40,000 miles since then. I checked the valve clearances last week and they were nearly spot on - a thou or two over/under, but no evidence of recession. So Millers at least offers full protection. Also I found I needed a bit of octane boost.
However, I found by experimentation that half the recommended dose worked just as well as the full bottle in 40 litres.

I get Millers online from Gardlite Oils. It's £3.50 a bottle, I think. That makes it cheaper than LRP even at full strength.
Classic Vehicle Owners. - just a bloke
Of cousre you could drive a classic alfa / lancia / FIAT cos they all had lightweight twin cam alloy engines, the hardened valve seats allow unleaded to be used without a problem, although Super Unleaded for preference
Classic Vehicle Owners. - nick
Or any Rover since the war, or any Roll-Royce or Bentley.
Classic Vehicle Owners. - Roger Jones
If you do go for a lead-substitute additive, the experts advise that you stick to one brand. There are various chemical compositions and apparently it is unwise to mix them.

More details at:

tinyurl.com/bvmsv
Classic Vehicle Owners. - nick
Use Tetraboost to make real leaded. You'll also benefit form some 'lead memory' if you do have to fill up with unleaded at any time. Just don't get it on your hands or breath it in!
Classic Vehicle Owners. - Lud
Wish I'd known about Tetraboost. Apart from the fact that my Skodas liked it, one advantage of proper leaded was that it provided a visual check on the car's state of tune, by looking at the colour inside the exaust pipe after an out-of-town run. I used unleaded ordinaire with Castrol Valvemaster Plus, as recommended by HJ. Trouble was Mme Lud had difficulty adding the right amount, so it often got missed. And the German motorways with their compulsory 200 miles of pedal-to-the-metal did produce quite marked exhaust valve seat recession.