C2 for daughter's first car ? - ubidenmark
My daughter's driving has been coming along, albeit slowly (and expensively.) Although she has failed one test already, I was out with her in a dual control car the other day and even I could see that she's made a lot of progress and to most intents and purposes can actually drive now. Another test looms.

Which brings me to the point. I've been think of buying her a cute little Citroen C2 1.1 Sx. One a couple of years old probably.

Anyone have any experience of the reliability of the C2 or aware of any issues with the car ? It looks like I'll pay £5k+ for one from a dealer with a warranty and I'm not that fussed about depreciation on this amount of dough because she'll likely keep it five years anyway.

Am I barking up the wrong tree ? Should I be considering a different car for her ?

Once again indebted for the wisdom available here.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - J Bonington Jagworth
They look pretty cute to me, too, but although I'm sure you love your daughter to bits, might you be better off buying her something a little less new and perhaps with slightly bigger crumple zones? I'm not casting aspersions on her driving, but we all have to gain our experience somehow, and worrying unduly about the paintwork may be a distraction.

I'm well aware of the opposing arguments, but just offer the thought for consideration/discussion.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - bell boy
i think you are being very generous but wouldnt buy her a £5 grand car to start with as you will be checking it for damage and lecturing and she will be frightened to go out in it in case she damages it.
Buy her something easy to drive with power steering eg a k11 micra p reg etc for a £1000/£1500 let her run that for a year and put the scrapes on it (like we all did male/female) and then treat her in 12 months so that you all win.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - NVH
The most important thing is to ask her !
I chose my first car mainly because it had comfortable seat and pedal positions + good all-round visibility: mainly for getting in and out of tight parking spots !
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Roberson
The most important thing is to ask her !

Good point, has she given any indication as to what car she likes/dislikes?
This is good advice but one thing I didn't mention is that reliability is paramount, which is why I hadn't really figured on a banger even for a first car. Breaking down in the middle of no where is not only highly inconvenient but potentially very dangerous for her.

I take your point about the crumple zones. The C2 get 4 stars in the crash test though, and there is a meaty lump of metal in a fixed position at the tailgate.

Many thanks.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Bill Payer
Like you, I dismissed a banger out of hand - it's one thing for a mechanically capable lad, but no way I'd have my daughter driving around in something like that. Safety was equally important to me.

I helped my daughter buy her first car and we settled on Seat Ibiza. We bought new, but I imagine you could easily get a latest shape one for £5K, possibly even a 1.2SX (we bought 1.2S).

One thing I would say, is that it?s a biggish small car ? I would guess a fair bit bigger than a C2. Also, my daughter wanted the 3 door (better looking) and the doors are *huge*.

I liked it because I felt that its size made it a little safer, it's got 4 NCAP stars, the (big) doors feel very solid. I *think* all the latest shape Ibiza?s have ABS which only became mandatory in 2004, and even a/c (which is arguably a safety feature) is standard. They come with 2 airbags but as ours was new I paid extra for side airbags.

It is, of course, basically a better value VW Polo, which you may or may not think is a good thing!
Bill Payer, any reliability issues with the SEAT ? Bits falling off, not starting ?

Thanks
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Bill Payer
Bill Payer, any reliability issues with the SEAT ? Bits
falling off, not starting ?

Nope - the only thing (and I'm not even sure it was really faulty) is that the radio/CD seemed to lose signal strength, then come back again. Anyway, it was mentioned at 12mth service and they fitted a new one. To my mind it's a bit noisy, and it rattles a bit, but daughter thinks it's fine.
I'd rather have bought a Polo - she didn't like Polo's look, and to get same equip level would have meant spending almost £11K new (Polo's then - Sept 04) didn't have a CD or central locking as standard.

We did also go for the VAG servicing/maint/tyres package, which, for 12K/yr for 3 yrs, was £20/mth. So if bits do fall off, at least it won't cost me anything!
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Paul Robinson
One of my 20 year old daughter's (male) friends had a C2, he went a bit mad and lost control of it at 80mph on an A road bend and rolled countless times. He escaped with minor cuts but nothing worse, safety seems very impressive, so sounds like a good choice to me!
C2 for daughter's first car ? - cub leader
Saw an accident where a ciroen C2 had come round a corner too fast and had hit a parked car, the parked car had shot back up the curb completely with the handbrake on and it in gear. Despit this impact and heavy damage to the front of the c2 both the driver an passenger walked away with only bruises. so looks like they are in general fairly reasonable in an accident.
--
Temporarily not a student, where did the time go???
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Symbolicat
Am I barking up the wrong tree ? Should I
be considering a different car for her ?

Fortunately the car market for new drivers has never been bigger. I'm assuming you want reliability, low insurance, good safety record and fuel economy. You could take a look at a Citroen C1 or C2, Peugeot 206 (or an older model such as the 106 or 306), Seat Arosa, Ford KA or Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa, Fiat Punto, VW Golf or Polo, the list really is endless. Take a look at some of them, ask her what she likes and go from there.

Whatever you choose though, make sure it has decent brakes.

Believe me new drivers + their own car + inexperiance + their friends in the car + bad brakes = rear end collisions.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - exmondeoman
I think it would be an excellent choice - I've had my C2 just over a year and my son will be learning to drive in it. One caveat - It is a very desirable car among the younger generation and the downside to that is that mine has twice been the target of envy scratches, and has also been broken into. Maybe I was just unlucky.......Also make sure if you buy used that the recall has been done on the front suspension coils.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Pugugly {P}
Defender.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Micky
"> Defender.<"

Yes, I looked at various LRs for my son, he has spent several years in go-karts and I want to squash any desire for competitive driving on the Queen's Highway, so LR is the obvious choice ;-) However, insurance for a 17 year old in a LR is silly, engine size appears to be the key, even for a sluggish series 1 diesel.

On the other hand, it would mean that I could get my feverish mitts on one of Solihull's finest :-)

C2 is a good option, the new price can be just over £6k and it would avoid the sleepless nights worrying about a previous owner's bodges.

Of course, the boy wants an Impreza.
I'll certainly bear in mind the recall tip, exmondeoman, thanks. As for envy scratches, well more we're more likely to get an envious deer running into the thing up here.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - P3t3r
It sounds like a good idea to me. I wouldn't recommend a completely new car for a new driver, but one with a few years/miles on it sounds reasonable to me. Soon after passing my test, my parents bought a brand new car, which I drove. I have now been driving for 4 years, and haven't really had an accident (I did something stupid a few weeks ago, but that doesn't really count).

I wouldn't worry about bad brakes. IMHO brakes that are too powerful (I think the brakes on the new C1 are too powerful) is worse than ones that are too weak. Although I think all modern cars will have brakes that are good enough for normal use.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Aretas
Oldman's comment about not being too threatening are relevant. I came across a bit too strong about accidents when buying my daughter's first car. Then a few months later someone ran into the back of her in a traffic queue ("It has ABS, it should have stopped" he said) and she thought the end of the world had come.

All ended well - she is now a driving instructor.
When I was helping my son and his wife shop for their first car last year, we found a Mazda Demio for just over £2k that was practically unmarked, but was being sold because owner (a rather ungrateful boy whose Mum had bought it for him) wouldn't be seen in it because of its perceived lack of street cred.

I mention it because it was a practical without being too large, and easy to position and park because of its slightly upright stance. Cheap to insure, and should be reliable. Just a thought.

C2 for daughter's first car ? - Cardew
I would agree about getting a car with 'street cred' and even more important to correct colour.

I certainly wouldn't consider paying "£5k+" for a 2 year old C2 when you can get a new one for £6,372 see Week's Best Deals.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Citroënian {P}
You'll not go far wrong with a C2 - after much deliberation and discussion (backroom passim), my young sister (22) got a brand new C2 LX - and it's a car that really suits her , it looks cool, drives well and felt safe when I drove it. If you can stretch the extra £££s I'd be tempted to go for a new one as I guess some of these will have been bought and thrashed by "enthusiastic" new drivers.

Was out with her today in it and I'm still impressed by the feeling of solidity, modernity and looking forward, the feeling of it being a bigger car than it really is. Only downside I can see is that the black one comes with a terrible orange interior with 70s pimp style gearknob. The dark blue she has is much nicer.

--Lee .. Welcome to Anytown USA
One thing I should say in response to the many pieces of excellent advice I've once again had is that I haven't consulted her about what she might like because it is my intention to produce it as a surprise birthday gift. Complete with satin bow and other unimaginably corny accoutrements.

I suppose I should drive one myself but there are times when you just suspect from the design of a thing that it's right !

PS To those who advised me about keeping my A6 I offer warmest thanks. I had it in an independent Audi dealer for the best part of a week in which was changed every fluid, the timing belt and everything hanging off it, the power steering belt, discs, pads, bushes, filters. Got £23 change out of a grand but it drives like a new car again and I feel confident that I can keep it four more years until its 10th birthday.

pps This site ought to get some recognition for the quality of its contributors.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - MichaelR
So reliability is of paramount importance to you so you'd rather have a small Citroen over a Nissan Micra?

Spend £1500 on a K11 Micra. It will NEVER break down, ever. They are fantastically reliable cars.

£5k on her first car? Don't waste your money.
Thanks for the advice. Any idea where I might find a K11 Micra ?
".. it is my intention to produce it as a surprise birthday gift. Complete with satin bow and other unimaginably corny accoutrements."

I hope we get to hear about her reaction! :-)
C2 for daughter's first car ? - PhilW
Son has had a C2 1.4 HDi for about 18 months now, smashing little car, I'd like one myself! Faultless so far (except for someone scraping his rear bumper when parked) and he has done 20k+ in it. Also no squeaks or rattles. As others have said - it has good "street cred" (more than a Micra??) which is quite important for a youngster ( As a Berlingo I'm not qualified to comment on street cred!!!)
One thing to look for when buying second hand is that up to mid 2004 they did not come with ABS (and EBD or something??) as standard. He ordered his, had to wait for the colour (blue in his case) and the wait meant he got the ABS etc.
With or without bows, I'm sure your daughter would love it.
My daughter has a Clio 1.5DCi, actually worked out slightly cheaper than the C2, she likes it because it is a bit bigger. Had a couple of faults though - went into "limp home mode" a couple of times before it was sorted, and dealers weren't exactly helpful. Can't comment on C2 dealers, C2 only been for standard first service. Clios seem popular with young ladies though.
--
Phil
C2 for daughter's first car ? - PhilW
Should read "as a Berlingo owner" not "as a Berlingo" in case you're confused!!
--
Phil
C2 for daughter's first car ? - y2k+4
If you were looking to buy a £5k nearly-new small car, I would have to recommend the Renault Clio - Old-shape Clio ought to be a steal from car supermarkets. They were packed with safety kit by Renault who was keen to be seen as the front-runner safety-wise. Like the Fiesta has a 4-star NCAP rating.

The C2 is supposedly a good, modern car, but at this kind of money, for what it is, I would consider the Clio as the better option, purely because of the timing of it's replacement. In a few months time, Punto's, 206's and Corsa's will be equally-good value, I suspect.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Ben79
The C2 is a very good car. Well built for a small French car.

I love driving the C2. If it had more space and more horses in its little diesel I'd get one. Until then, the modded C5 stays.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - deepwith
Look at the micra - son nearly died when I suggested it - but he loves it now.In fact, as soon as he test drove it. He liked the new panda and the getz, among others. Street cred is fine with the newer shaped micra (and that is very important to him, believe me) and it drives beautifully. Only problem is that I am on line now waiting up (shh) cos he is 'transport' for friends tonight and I won't sleep til he is home -what they don't tell you in those baby books!!!!
C2 for daughter's first car ? - rugbyleague1
Hows about a Yaris??

More reliable than any of the above and better resale value?

C2 for daughter's first car ? - Sprice
I sold a P reg Toyota Starlet 1.3CD to a guy who wanted it for his daughter for her first car. She test drove it and was very happy with how nippy etc it was. Going to be reliable to with a Corolla engine.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Sprice
Why not check out www.carsurvey.org/model_Citroen_C2.html

Try and look for any common problems, but looking at the amount of 'blue faces' I wouldn't touch one!
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Avant
Another vote for the Yaris.

Elder daughter has a 1.3 and loves it - she too is affected by the "street cred" factor and didn't like the look of any of the others, C2 included) apart from the Smart Forfour, which id expensive for what it is and according to various road tests a bit of a disappointment to drive.

What she'll repalce the Yaris with I have no idea, since in its infinite wisdom Toyota UK has seen fit to price the new model at about £1,500 more than the old.

Younger daughter and boyfriend have just got a Toyota Aygo - a possibility for your daughter? - depending on budget as they are new out. Same car available as a Citroen or Peugeot so it might depend on whuch dealer was near you. They are all built in Eastern Europe, I believe (and hope) to Toyota standards.
C2 for daughter's first car ? - Martin Wall
Yes - I see that www.autobytel.co.uk/ have new base-model Aygos for £5995 - that's even cheaper than I have seen the Citroen C1 at... Although when I saw a C1 the other day I was surprised at just how short it was.

The Aygo/C1/107 clones all got 4 stars in the NCAP tests.