Someone's hit my car :-( - Blue {P}
Somebody sideswiped the Focus last night whilst it was parked and drove off. I don't know whether to count myself lucky or not but I'll let you decide from the pictures! Naturally they didn't stop, so I have to pay for this myself, especially seeing as my excess is £400.

So, how much do people reckon we're looking at here?

It obviously needs a new mirror, and the rear quater is going to need filling and spraying as the metal is deformed slightly, was thinking I could maybe get away with machine polishing of the door and wing...

Tell me what you think!

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/TDCISOM/DSC00153.j...g

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/TDCISOM/DSC00150.j...g

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/TDCISOM/DSC00151.j...g

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/TDCISOM/DSC00152.j...g
Blue
Someone's hit my car :-( - Stuartli
Know exactly how you feel - someone caught the front offside of my Bora's plastic bumper whilst undertaking a U-turn and left an ugly crease in the plastic.

It's not serious, but would need expert attention to exactly match the Reflex Silver paintwork and ruined what was immaculate bodywork on a five-year-old plus car.

And no, the driver involved didn't stop to say sorry either...:-(
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
If I'd been in the car at the time I'd hae been after them, but sadly, I was in my friend's house so didn't have the pleasure.

However, i'm going back down this afternoon to look at the neighbours cars and see if any of the damage matches...

Blue
Someone's hit my car :-( - R75
Ouch!! There really are some complete B's around, Why on earth people cant admit it when that have done something like this. I have got a dent in the front wing of my car last Wednesday from someone who did not bother to leave their details (although no where near as bad as yours). It makes me really mad to think scum who do this just drive off and get away with it. Was there no CCTV coverage around where the car was parked?
Nope, residential street sadly, and the Police say they aren't aware of any coverage and that all they can do is make a few door to door enquiries, which is actually more than I expected! :-)

Blue
Someone's hit my car :-( - Adam {P}
Ouch - sorry to hear and see that Blue!

I wouldn't have the first clue how much it would cost I'm afraid as the damage spans a few panels but someone on the FFOC will probably be able to advise you a little more accurately. (I see you've posted there too!)

Good luck in getting it sorted.

Adam
Someone's hit my car :-( - barneybee
Scum! Hunt them down and superglue their petrol cap/door shut. While your there accidentally run your keys down the side of their car for good measure. I'm livid and it's not my car!

I think you'll be respraying all affected panels, I don't think machine polishing will get that out. I had a fine vertical scratch on the door of one of previous cars put there by a garage. They machine polished it and you could still see it (at the right angle), I forced them into respraying it.

Looks expensive to me, I'm afraid. Depending if you've got protected no claims it might be cheaper to claim on your insurance.

With a £400 excess that's a situation I'm trying to avoid, but will be up with the birds to get quotes tommoorw.

If it goes through insurance then I hope I can choose my repairer as I know exactly which bodyshop I want it to go to, but I have a feeling the loss adjustor may try to discourage me! ;-)

Blue
Someone's hit my car :-( - Robbie
Blue, I'm really sorry to hear about that damage. I know just how you must feel. I had the nearside mirror of my Accord smashed in France last August and I felt sick. I had to drive to the local Honda dealer in Brive, which is over forty-five miles away, to have them inspect the damage, then had to drive back the following day for them to replace it. Cost over £100 for a replacement lens and mirror. Fortunately the housing and electronics weren't damaged. I wasn't over it until the car was back to normal.

Hope things work out and you find who did it.
Someone's hit my car :-( - exmondeoman
My C2 was keyed recently along three panels: The quote for repair was £800, so if that was typical I doubt that you'd see much change from a grand for what in your case appears to be more extensive damage. In the end I just repaired it myself - it's far from perfect but I actually feel less stressed now I've given up worrying about the first dent/scratch or whatever to mark what was my pride and joy.
Someone's hit my car :-( - Dynamic Dave
So, how much do people reckon we're looking at here?

Ouch!

If this is anything to go on as a comparison on price; my old Cavalier was hit all along the side by a motorbike a few years ago. One new doorskin, a mirror cowling, and a complete respray along the side came to over £900. I am talking approx 6 yrs ago, so prices will have gone up since then.

btw, I ended up footing the bill (well the insurance excess anyway) as the motorbike rider didn't stop. How he managed to stay on was anyone's guess.
Someone's hit my car :-( - Peter S
Unfortunately it looks expensive to me :-( I've just seen a bill, admittedly from a main dealer, for a fraction under £1,200 for fixing what I'd call a light scuff to n/s/f door, n/s/r door and rear quarter of a 5 series where there had been mnor contact on a roundabout. The damage looked nowhere near as bad as that above. Hope it works out OK...

Peter
Someone's hit my car :-( - bell boy
theres a lot of damage there Blue {P} and as said its not going to be cheap, looks like you will need a door skin as well, you really need to do it through the insurance.
Really sorry for you as its going to cost £400+ for a night out.
Oh those quotes sound delightful :-(

Thanks Robbie, I suppose I can think myself lucky that it didn't happen in France, 45 miles seems an awful long way to go just to get to a dealership!

I will of course keep you all updated with my repair quotes...

Blue
Someone's hit my car :-( - Manatee
From experience only of similar looking damage I'm afraid I would expect something on a scale of £1000 but the only way to know is when you get those estimates. I can understand your feelings right now but just take comfort from the fact that is it a car that's damaged and nobody died, to coin a phrase. Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.
Yeah, I'm pleased I wasn't standing there at the time!

I also believe that what goes around comes around which helps me out at times like this! ;-)

Blue
Someone's hit my car :-( - Altea Ego
Like the other Blue this can be done properly expensively or cheap and nasty

The proper way appears to be a new door skin, plus lower three quarter rear wheel arch repair section welded in. complete respray down the whole side of the car to convenient shut lines.

800 quid plus

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Someone's hit my car :-( - Oz
Blue: someone, somewhere (maybe local to you) will be presenting their car to a repairer with the corresponding damage to (presumably) the offside of their car. What a shame if the word went round the trade ...

Oz (as was)
Someone's hit my car :-( - Robbie
Blue, go back to your mate's house where your car was parked and look for any bits that may have come off the other vehicle. Ask around to see if anyone saw or heard anything that might help you identify the culprit.

Many years ago, I was visiting a school in Rufford, it was winter and dark outside. My car was parked on the "wrong" side of the road, and when I returned to it the indicator light was flashing very fast. Never thought anything about it and I was going straight home after this visit. Put the car in garage and next morning when I got it out and got to the other side of the car I nearly died. My six month old car had been clobbered on the front wing and the head light glass and indicator were broken.

I returned to the scene and found pieces of glass from a rear light. It was Saturday and the school was shut, but I saw a local woman whom I knew, and she gave me some info which identified the woman who had done a three point turn and reversed into my car.

I got a result just by chance.
Someone's hit my car :-( - BazzaBear {P}
Find yourself a well-regarded local independent bodyshop and get a quote, make sure they know it is NOT an insurance job - you'll be paying for it yourself. That's likely to be the cheapest you'll get a proper job done for, and you never know, it might not be as bad as we've guessed on here.
Someone's hit my car :-( - Lud
Quite right, a decent body shop can surprise with the modesty of its demands... only because you're expecting Armageddon though.
Someone's hit my car :-( - barchettaman
Bad luck Blue - hope it´s not too expensive.
My Barchetta is off to the bodyshop too next month after some toerag reversed into the boot in the supermarket carpark. Grrr.
With a bit of luck the dent doctor will be able to ping it out cheaply...
Someone's hit my car :-( - Xileno {P}
I don't think you will get much change out of £1000 if the job's done properly.
Someone's hit my car :-( - Vansboy
I'd have a chat with local established gareges, selling GOOD used cars & ask who they use for their repaints & body repairs.

You'll find there are plenty of bodyshops, which NEVER advertise, or look for work, but are kept busy with 'trade' work.

They'd be able to sort this without doorskins, I'd think. Plus payibg £$£$£ rather than a checque might make a difference, if you see what I mean!!

Certainly avoid main dealers (they'd more than likely send the work to someone else, anyway) & not consider the insurance type repairers - you'd be paying for the pretty receptionist, workshop manager & free coffe machine, within the neatly typed quote!!

& no, not insurance, with such a hefty excess & increase on next years premium!!

Also, not being 'funny' the tyre looks a bit low on tread, so worth looking at swapping with the spare - just in case!!

Guess you'r still 'up North, from looking at your profile, but if you ever spent any time around Luton, I'd put you in touch with a repairer that you'd be more than happy with the results!!

VB

Someone's hit my car :-( - henry k
They'd be able to sort this without doorskins, I'd think.

>>
I recently went the rounds due Focus having similar damage having been swiped by a bus. Driver left a card. There were quite a few witnesses seated and viewing at the time.

Advice from a trusted site was do not go for re-skins if at all avoidable or you will get rust problems.
It is not a problem if you intend to sell it soon.
Someone's hit my car :-( - cheddar
Sorry to hear the news Blue, IIRC the car is quite new and quite new to you. Presumably in addition to the £400 excess you have got an NCD to protect. Perhaps look at it this way, write off the £400 excess then if it costs you another £400 to get it fixed mentally set this against the cost of the car, I guess you would have bought it if it had cost you another 400 quid? Take it to a good, ideally Ford approved, body shop, negotiate - it is your money not the insurers, get it back to as good as new and put it down to experience. You will have avoided increased premiums for a few years.
Someone's hit my car :-( - Vin {P}
Ref door skins:

Advice from an old school bodyshop guy who used to live opposite me. Poor quality repairers will replace door skins at the drop of a hat. Good quality ones will do everything they can to avoid it, because they never look right (in his opinion).

V
Someone's hit my car :-( - daveyjp
My Focus was damaged in the rear. Rear bumper, new quarter panel, new hatchback door and glass - £2,300.
I had a look down the street where it happened twice yesterday and there's no sign of the offending car, unfortunately it's not the type of area that I feel comfortable knocking on doors, if my friend hadn't lived there I wouldn't have dreamt of leaving my car there (and won't be again in the future!)

I've just had my first repair estimate and it's come in at a straight £1,000 cash from a large(ish) accident repair centre who will repair and not replace the original door skin, rear 1/4, and front wing, as well as machine polishing the entire car whilst it's in and providing me with a courtesy car (provided I arrange my own insurance cover)

They quoted labour times as follows:-

Front wing - 1 hour
Dorr - 4 hours
Rear 1/4 - 6 hours.

Which don't seem like unreasonable times to me, I felt quite comfortable with them as it happens, and the estimator assured me that the job would be perfect once finished (I think he could tell that I'm a bit of a perfectionist where bodywork is concerned, which is why I never touch it myself!)

Blue
Sounds reasonable, how long would they need to have your car, perhaps a week - Mon to Fri, do you need the courtesy car? If not you could ask if they would do it for £900 without the car.
I would struggle to survive for a week without a car to be honest mate, it's pretty much an integral part of my lifestyle, plus he came out with the quote of a grand before I asked for a courtesy car so I doubt he'd do it for much less.

Having said that it's an interesting idea, I suppose I could ask my gran if she doesn't mind lending me her Focus for the week, doesn't hurt to ask maybe, I've still got to wait for another quote or two though...

Blue
Someone's hit my car :-( - Vansboy
The actual 'cost' of a courtesy car, is tiny, as little as £20/week, or less, if you run enough of them.

Vauxhall offer Corsas on a scheme, that would allow the smallest, independent repairer, offer them, for little outlay.

So guess you'll not save much.

Good to see that they'll repair as much as they can, rather than new panels. The polish of the rest of the car, is more a matter of corse, to make sure everything blends in & you''ve no tell tale signs of new paint.

Sounds like they're intending a 'proper' job.

VB
Someone's hit my car :-( - borasport20
Commiserations, Blue.

Having seen at the north west meet what condition you car was in, I can see that youll'd be brassed of.

If you want it put back to the same condition, I think you will be going through your insurers !

Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Someone's hit my car :-( - bell boy
i agree with vansboy as regards hire cars and the bodyshop,the best thing to do while you are there is have a look at the cars in the yard already repaired and look at the workers do they look like part of a team?are the cars finished to a good standard?
If you can answer yes to these then you"ve found a good shop, the times quoted and the description they have given you sound spot on to me ,i reckon you will be going back.
I have no listings for spurious new doors or rear quarter panels so it would have been a horrendous bill if they couldnt fill them as the panels would have had to be sourced from ford.
Someone's hit my car :-( - Andy P
Someone's hit my car :-( - sgt.
Just had a scratch on the front wing and a scuff on the bumper repaired on an 01 Astra, quote for that was £450, I rekon your looking best part of £1500 main dealer price. Use somebody who comes recommended and guarantee's there work - you dont want the rust through by the summer

Good Luck
Someone's hit my car :-( - Navara Van man
After my car was damadged at the supermarket I was left with damadge to rear bumper and scrape / dent on 2 panels. The job was done by a local trusted firm for £500 plus vat. The mirror will be more but I think this job should be around £700 plus vat.

Paul
Someone's hit my car :-( - nick
A mate of mine came back to his car in a carpark and found a dented wing and a note under the wiper. The note said something like 'I'm only writing this because someone saw me hit you car and they now think I'm leaving my name and address.'
They didn't.
Someone's hit my car :-( - BobbyG
I realise your excess is £400, but are you sure you do not want to go through insurance? Do you have NCD or protected?

I would be loathed to spend a grand, cash, on my car to get it back to the same state it was previously in. Even if it meant my insurance went up, and even if ins was £200 a year more as a result, that is another 3 years before you have effectively broken even?

If you are prepared to pay the first grand, then you should get your excess changed to that and same yourself money on your insurance premium??

If you pay the grand and something similar happens a week later you will be so hacked off!

You pay for your insurance so use it would be my thought!
Someone's hit my car :-( - Lud
A horrible unacknowledged graunch on an impeccable motor... very painful and upsetting. Happened to me twice. First time rear wing of my new Dyane parked in Notting Hill, someone left a note with the miscreant's number under the wiper... weird thing was I'd heard the tyres, looked out of the window, seen this Aston Martin near but not against my car... he was a dealer, when approached blushed and paid up. Much later that rear wheel bearing went but although the connection was obvious time had cured all things. Second time a young geezer in a Toyota Supra floored it coming out of a side turning in the wet, bit ambitious there, and demolished my very good (parked) Skoda Estelle 120 GLS, one of only two 50mpg cars I have owned. No note left but the police said who had done it and the guy's insurance paid up no problem.

Personally I favour reasonably together but carp looking cars. Graunch or two can be left for a week or two and with a bit of luck you get used to it and save the money. Don't criticise me for bringing down the tone. That's what I wanbt to do.
My excess is already as high as it can go (not my choice, Elephant's), if I claim I have to pay the £400 excess and lose all of my no claims which will add at least £500 onto my next renewal, I'll probably break even after the first renewal.

On the plus side the Ford dealer's bodyshop quoted me £850 to fix it, although I want to check why the quotes so cheap, and also I'm getting in touch with a mate of a mate who works for another big local main dealer who do BMW sales, he did my dad's mates S-Type quite cheaply.

Will update with more info as soon as I had it.

Incidentally has anyone used Jobling coachworks in Sunderland? So far they have given me the best "gut feeling" when I visited (despite been a fairly sizeable insurance-job type place), but they are the most expensive at £1,000. They actually mentioned doing a good job and getting a good colour match when I spoke to them, which is more than the Ford garage did when I visted, took them the best part of 7 hours to even come up with the quote...

Blue
You might need to go via a Ford approved co to keep the corrosion warranty in place, all the more important after a shunt. Best part of 20 years ago I had rust through the wing of an '83 Metro, it was down to accident damage though because the repair had been done by an Austin Rover body shop the full repair costs, new wing etc were paid under warranty. The car was approx four years in to a six year anti perf warranty.
Yeah, I was wondering about that, I thought that whoever did the repair should do it with Ford parts etc. and I thought that would make the warranty valid. I should probably check the T's and C's to be honest.

Blue
Someone's hit my car :-( - Miller
Bad luck Blue.

This is one of the main reason's I drive an eight year old car - if it happens its shrug of the shoulders stuff....
Someone's hit my car :-( - Altea Ego
A mate of mine came back to his car in a
carpark and found a dented wing and a note under the
wiper. The note said something like 'I'm only writing this because
someone saw me hit you car and they now think I'm
leaving my name and address.'
They didn't.

The old ones are the best
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Well, I found out why the Ford quote was so cheap, when I saw the print out in black and white this morning I could see that they've forgotten to quote for the replacement of the mirror houseing! :-)

I knew I got a better gut instinct at the place that quoted £1K!

Anyway, a friend of my mam's turns out to work in a large and quite well established bodyshop round here, I'm going to find out if he'll do it for me, fingers crossed! Apparently he's very good and some of the customers ask for him by name so I feel safe leacin my baby in his care! Will let you all know if he can do it and how much.

Blue
Corrosion warranty? It may be that you can keep this up by haveing the car inspected by a Ford dealer post repair, worth asking, worth keeping valid.
Just something to bear in mind Cheddar - I, along with nearly everyone who has tried on the FFOC have been rejected when it comes to claiming on the anti corrosion warranty on the basis that the car is out of warranty.

Not one of them was even near 6 years old.
Someone's hit my car :-( - smoke
my local ford dealer told me that for the corrosion warranty to be valid, the bodywork check part of the service book has to be stamped, i.e. you have to pay the dealer to carry out the inspection, and stamp the book. I don't know how much this costs, as last year, when i took it in for the service, they said that they would do it for free when i said i would rather that they did not wash my car (already washed, waxed and gleaming)>
The only thing is smoke, they never even asked for the book. He asked how old it was, I told him and before i'd even finished he said - "Not covered".

Something to bear in mind anyway.
Someone's hit my car :-( - smoke
Adam, i think the warranty is perforation corrosion, and not direct corrosion. So if it was surface rust, then they don't repair, since they assume that it was a scratch that was not touched up in time, and has corroded. If it is corrosion through the metal, then its perforation and covered.
Ahhh.

I took the TSB bulletin in too to prove it was their fault - maybe that got his back up.