Dealer service or DIY? - cheddar
Wife's Clio is seven years old, we have had it serviced two yearly by a Renault dealer (inc a cambelt change) which meets Renault's service schedule, i.e. it has FRSH. Two year gaps is too long by my book so I have done intermediate oil changes plus changed the plugs myself and checked the brakes etc.

Question: Should we invest 100 to 150 quid in another dealer service or should I do it all DIY now? Will the lack of dealer service history really effect the value of a 7 year old car?

Regards.
Dealer service or DIY? - local yokel
Depends how good an engineer you are. Will you really spot all potential safety problems that are not covered by normal servicing? OK, they should be checked in an MoT, but that's only once a year.

I'd have thought that the safety issues far outweigh the costs/value question.
Dealer service or DIY? - Civic8
IMO, on a 7 year old its not worth the extra,but would say buy the oil filter from renault if nothing else.cannot see DIY causing any value loss of that age?
--
Steve
Dealer service or DIY? - Altea Ego
its got to the stage where a Renault FSH history is not effective. DIY it and keep the bills for oil/filters etc.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Dealer service or DIY? - cheddar
its got to the stage where a Renault FSH history is
not effective. DIY it and keep the bills for oil/filters etc.

Thats my thinking, and I know what I am doing and am comfortable re safety etc.
Dealer service or DIY? - bell boy
i agree with you cheddar, if you are competant, i would also fill in my service book with all the jobs done if there is room and any decent buyer when the time comes will lap it up.
Dealer service or DIY? - BobbyG
DIY it or give to a local independent to service.
Dealer service or DIY? - jacks
As others have said - DIY

When my wife's previous car (Rover 200) got to 4 years old I did all servicing myself for the next 5 years and simply kept the receipts for oil/filters/pads/etc and stapled them into the service book and wrote the mileage on the receipt when each job was done.

When I sold the car privately the buyer didn't even look at service book !! (which was bulging with history/receipts/etc ....ah well !)
Renault parts prices - cheddar
Thanks for the replies, I picked up a oil filter etc from the Renault dealer on Saturday, cheaper than Halfords charge for their own brand and only 2/3 of what Halfords charge for a Champion brand filter, likewise Renault are cheaper than Halfords for the air filter etc. Well done Renault!
Renault parts prices - Hamsafar
I agree, and if you sell a car, it looks far better to have a franchise fan-fold invoice for the parts you used (almost looks like a proper receipt for a service) rather than a small white halfords receipt that fades to blank after a year.
Renault parts prices - Keith S
Clio servicing in my neck of the woods is £189 then £289 alternately. Only apparent difference is spark plugs.

Seems well expensive to me and even more surprising now hearing that Genuine parts are not ridiculously expensive.

Maybe £50 parts (retail) so do they spend over two hours doing a service. Doubt it very much!