'98 primera- which oil ?? Semi or fully - Beaks
It has been about 5,500 miles since I last had the oil changed in my 2.se '98 Primera, and thought I would pop to National to get it changed. It has done 99,000 miles and still ticks over like a dream. Is it really worth paying the extra and putting fully syntetic oil in or shoould I stick to semi ?? It has had fully syntehtic in the past but when serviced 6 months ago I forgot to tell the garage and they put semi back in...
'98 primera- which oil ?? Semi or fully - prm
Personally at that mileage, and the fact you are changing it every 6k miles i would use semi, it will be perfectly fine
'98 primera- which oil ?? Semi or fully - Collos25
If you are changing it at 6000mls I would use the cheapest available.
'98 primera- which oil ?? Semi or fully - jc
If it's done 99,000 and you're changing every 6,000 go with the cheapest you can get.
'98 primera- which oil ?? Semi or fully - Beaks
thanks very much chaps, i will save a fiver and stick with semi-synth then ...
'98 primera- which oil ?? Semi or fully - jc
You will still be spending too much;if you're changing every 5/6,000 miles a normal non-synthetic will be OK.Semi and fully synthetics are only required if you are going to extended oil-changes ie. 10,000 miles plus.
'98 primera- which oil ?? Semi or fully - MW
You are almost certainly right. However, if the car has done well on the oil regime you have employed, and getting the oil change done involves time etc, why scrimp for a fiver? There is a certain satisfaction in a job very well done, and the synthetic is best for winter starts. £5 is nothing given the life cost of the car.
'98 primera- which oil ?? Semi or fully - Hamsafar
I agree with MW, and add that Synthetic is an insurance policy against bearing failure if something like overheating ocurrs. (total coolant loss on motorway or suchlike) By the time you notice and stop it could be too late with a cheap oil.
'98 primera- which oil ?? Semi or fully - The Gingerous One
Semi for me.
I ran a '95 Primera eGt from 110k -> 165k over 3 years and changed it's oil & filter every 4-6k with 10w/40 semi. It was fine. no problems.

I never had any coolant leaks or issues. I only lifted the bonnet to check/change the oil and top up the windscreen washer fluid in that time.

cheers,
Stu
'98 primera- which oil ?? Semi or fully - oilman
You will find it works out cheaper to use a 5w-40 fully synthetic and change every 10-12000 miles.

Cheers
Simon
'98 primera- which oil ?? Semi or fully - MW
Halfords were doing their fully synthetic for £15 for 5 litres a week or two ago. Can't beat it at that price.