Peugeot 306 Eng Mangmnt Unit - isobella greene
Hi guys,

I have a Peugeot 306 petrol saloon, 1999 on T plate.

The car does not want to tick over on idle. In gear & running, it's fine.

The AA said that the Engine Management Unit needs repair or replacing.

My Peugeot dealer has quoted me £886 to replace the EMU -

Please confirm if this seems about OK or are the boys in blue boiler suits taking financial advantage ?

A seroius enquiry, please can you help me ?

thanks
Isobella
Peugeot 306 Eng Mangmnt Unit - nick62
Could be the idle control solenoid valve, (approx £75 to £100 and half an hour to fit).

Could also be the throttle position sensor (or other sensor used for the control of the fuel injection). But the valve above is a culprit on these particularly on hige mileage ones.

It is unlikely it is the ECU if it runs okay but just won't tickover!

How many miles has it done?

Peugeot 306 Eng Mangmnt Unit - nick62
Sorry, I meant the idle control STEPPER MOTOR (not solenoid valve).

It's £70.50 on this website (including shipping and VAT), but thats assuming its the correct one and its this part on your car that is faulty.

www.tuneparts.co.uk/iscv.htm

I just happened across this site yesterday when looking for lambda sensors.
Peugeot 306 Eng Mangmnt Unit - Screwloose
isobella

Whatever you do, don't just take the AA's word for it. Some of their guys are red-hot; others....

There are many different makes and types of engine management fitted on these. There will be three different ECU/system manufacturers for every engine size on every year. There are also several changepoints where the basic system itself alters.

For this reason, just swapping odd bits will be very difficult. To help a little bit, have a look at the vehicle's ID number thats visible through the base of the windscreen on the N/S. Then post-up JUST THE LETTERS on here and that will give us some clues to the engine fitted.

Don't worry about silly dealer prices; even in the worst case scenario - where a faulty Sagem coilpack has spiked the ECU [and that does kill the idle circuits] these ECU's can be repaired for a lot less than that.
Peugeot 306 Eng Mangmnt Unit - David_S
Screwloose I agree,

Main dealer will intergate ECU and report on fault for a reasonable fee.

You can then make a decision on who repairs what in the knowledge that diagnosis has been more than soemones best guess.

Had a similar problem with my daughters car see:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=30...5

This was resolved for far less than the main dealer price.

Good luck.

David