italian tune up (again...sorry) - scfc_151
ive only just discovered this site and i think its excellent by the way loads of really helpful stuff. i just read about this italian tune up. i give my 306 1.9 td a good blast every month or so and it runs lovely and smooth...but i was wondering how often people recommend doing it and for how long? i dont want to reck anything but on the other hand i want it running as sweet as possible. as much as people dislike peugeot i love mine and want to keep it as long as possible.

sorry if this bored the pants off a lot of you but your opions are appreciated. im thinking of trying millers diesel power plus any good or bad points to speak of?

thanks
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Navara Van man
I give the trooper a blast out every two weeks or so, although I tend to drive hard anyway.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Civic8
No reason why you cannot take engine to governor point,(limit you are able to take Diesel revs to)same as ecu controlled.But would advise only doing so when engine hot,Millers is good but a good blast should suffice,Do mine whilst town driving once or twice a week,motorway should not need to do as often.but I do once a week/ps not 306 but rover 218 td 149k sweet as
--
Steve
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Altea Ego
Italian tune ups?

Only when its good and warm. I have always run mine (petrols and diesels) up the red band in 1st and 2nd once a week.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Hamsafar
I drive like this on every journey where appropriate. (slip roads etc...) off roundabouts on NSL A roads.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - barchettaman
On this subject... my elderly Swedish grandmother drives an immaculate 1989 BMW 316. I doubt it´s been over 2500 rpm in the last 15 years (she´s 86 and drives, ahem, sedately). Anyway this summer she mentioned to me that the car was a bit hesitant, using alot of fuel and generally not as it should be. No problem I said.
After checking the oil and getting it up to temperature it got thrashed in low gears for half an hour. Not driving fast, just holding it in a lower gear so it revved. No problems since. Should be OK for another 15 years!
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Lud
I don't know if modern cars do this, but cars normally driven at a maximum engine speed well below the red line used to build up a ridge on the cylinder wall. Once this has happened, revving much over the normal limit causes the piston to rise slightly higher up the cylinder, breaking the rings against the ridge. This has happened to me twice.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - L'escargot
I've no doubt that it will help to clean out the cylinders, but remember that taking an engine up to high speeds will put a high stress on the engine's components, which could shorten its life. I wouldn't do it any more often than is necessary. Fortunately, in 40 years of motoring I've never found it to be necessary on any of my cars.
--
L\'escargot.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - David Horn
Which begs the question: if you took a modern car and ran it flat out on a hypothetical empty motorway, how long would it run for before going pop?

[Or clunk, or bang, or fizzzzz etc.]
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Happy Blue!
Isn't that what manufacturers do?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
italian tune up (again...sorry) - mss1tw
I'd imagine flat out in first would be a lot more damaging, at least in top it's loaded.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Cliff Pope
I'm not querying the value of ITs, but I would be interested to know exactly what process people think is going on in the engine.
Is it:
1) getting the engine properly up to temperature for the first time
2) blowing soot out of the exhaust pipe
3) evaporating harmfull condensation products from the oil
4) shaking carbon deposits off pistons and valves by centrifugal force
5) an excuse for taking the car for a good thrash
6) something else?

Please describe the process in detail, and explain why this happens only at 6000 rather than 3000 rpm.
1) getting the engine properly up to temperature for the first
time

No
2) blowing soot out of the exhaust pipe

Yes
3) evaporating harmfull condensation products from the oil

No
4) shaking carbon deposits off pistons and valves by centrifugal force

Yes
5) an excuse for taking the car for a good thrash

Always
6) something else?

Yes
Please describe the process in detail, and explain why this happens
only at 6000 rather than 3000 rpm.

It refreshes the parts other revs can not reach. Seriously pistons are moving just that little bit further, gasses are just that little bit hotter and mor of them, carp gets shocked, blown and battered off the bits.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Most modern cars will not go flat out as the speed limiter kicks in. As a teenager I tried ralying round a old polo abandoned on the farm, after half an hour of being driven flat out in third it overheated.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Dynamic Dave
Please describe the process in detail, and explain why this happens only at 6000 rather than 3000 rpm.

Modern multivalve engines need to be revved. Not sure of the exact physics, but a car needs to occasionally be taken above 4000 rpm so that the valves can rotate and not become complacent in the valve stems.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - NowWheels
taken above
4000 rpm so that the valves can rotate and not become
complacent in the valve stems.

The notion of an engine component becoming complacent is rather quaint :)

For myself, I don't worry too much until the mechanical parts become apathetic or even depressed ...
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Civic8
>>Modern multivalve engines need to be revved. Not sure of the exact physics,

It may be due to combustion process being faster at high revs,ie temp in chamber increases at a faster rate and burns of excess carbon-in the case of Diesel soot,

often see cars on motorway doing in excess of 80/90mph blowing carbon off
--
Steve
italian tune up (again...sorry) - jc
Not some much the stems but the valves need to rotate on their seats.You usually have to exceed 4000rpm. for this to happen.On truck engines,where you're unlikely to exceed 3,000rpm,rotators are usually fitted to do this.
Isn't that what manufacturers do?

Yes, but only in top gear. As you no doubt realise, the maximum engine speed in top is not as high as in lower gears.
--
L\'escargot.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - wemyss
Similar views myself to L'escargot. In nearly 50 years of motoring I've never found this necessary, and whilst this has been discussed many times have never seen any actual conclusive evidence on this.
Never seen a manufacturers handbook which says give it a Italian tuneup every month or whatever.
Havent heard any engine makers give this advice although they always mention things like drive away from cold immediately and dont rev the engine unti its up to temperature and so on.
Is this I.T. an urban myth and people actually doing enjoy it and believe the engine performs better afterwards and is doing it a good turn..
My cousins HGV had a million miles on the clock when he sold it and it never revved above 1800. Incidentally when I asked him what oil he used he said the cheapest he could find.
Could we have some definitive technical advice?.

Yeah well you wpuldn't necessarily notice if you just waddled around like most people, complaining about people overtaking and so on. A mill9ion miles though, there's a figure for you. Perhaps if I never have another drink and try to stay calm I'll live to 220 like a Bristol Fighter (terrible name in my opinion, but does anyone know what the car's like?)
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Aprilia
On modern engines the valves will rotate even at low rpm. As the cam presses the valve down, the valve spring 'wind up' puts a small torque on the valve and causes it to rotate. On 'performance' engines (for reasons I don't know) they often don't want rotation and used a 'keyed' valve retainer to stop it.

Valve rotation is supposed to be good, because it evens out valve temperature and keeps the seats polished.

High rpm driving doesn't necessarily increase combustion temp or MEP (mean effective pressure) in the cylinder (that is also a function of load) - but it does increase gas velocity - which may, or may not, clean carbon out. High MEP may also shake the piston rings about a bit, which might help stop them sticking.

Personally I am a bit skeptical about Italian tuneup for the 'average' driven car. I once took a K11 Micra engine apart, it had done about 150k miles as a driving school car in the local streets and always been filled up at Morrisons. The head and valves were very clean and just a light carbon coating on the crowns.
The technique surely only works on cars driven slowly, with furry plugs? A blast cleans them up and makes the spark more reliable. As for cylinder head and piston carbon, isn't it an advantage rather than otherwise, by increasing the compression ratio slightly? You need carbon there, but not on the plug electrodes or in the exhaust system.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Aprilia
The technique surely only works on cars driven slowly, with furry
plugs? A blast cleans them up and makes the spark more
reliable. As for cylinder head and piston carbon, isn't it an
advantage rather than otherwise, by increasing the compression ratio slightly?

If compression is too high you may get knock (end gas spontaneously exploding).
Also glowing carbon in cyl head may ignite mixture before the spark does (pre-ignition) this leads to pressure spike and will give you a hole in the piston if taken to excess!
Bit of carbon, especially in the space between the top of the piston and top ring, is good for gas sealing. A bit of deposit on the back of a valve (like in the 'bad' picture on the Optimax advert) does no harm.
like a Bristol Fighter (terrible name in my opinion .....

Probably a derivation of Bristol Beaufighter ~ the 1940-1960 plane.

--
L\'escargot.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - cheddar
A couple of hours at motorway speeds even if the engine is only doing 2500 rpm (diesel) to 3500 rpm (petrol) will clear it out better than a brief trip to the redline in 1st and 2nd.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Group B
Surely the redline is marked on the rev. counter by the manufacturer, as a SAFE maximum engine speed, with a factor of safety thrown in.
As long as the engine is warm, and theres enough oil in it, what could be wrong with revving up to that point on a regular basis?

The handbook for my (diesel) car has plenty of cautions about this and that, but the only places it warns against excessive revs is in the section on running in, and the section on economical driving.
NONSENSE! - MoneyMart
I've been driving 14 years (with the first 7 years doing 50,000+ miles a year). I've had both petrol and diesel cars, both new and used, and both low and high milers. Some of them I've had from new and sold them with 150,000 miles on the clock.

I have NEVER found the need to do any of the above, and have never experienced a problem with my cars that would have been avoided with the above procedure. Never needed a decoke. Never had a clogged injector. Never had a blocked valve.

Modern engines with modern engine management systems and modern oils simply don't need any special treatment. In fact you're more likely to encounter a problem doing the above. Example is the disclaimer which MOT testers display regarding the red-line emissions test that they have to do on Diesel MOTs - this is because of the high incidence of cambelts that break at redline!

I think it's nonsense invented by people with too much time on their hands ;-)

NONSENSE! - David Horn
More likely the cambelt breaks as the tester lifts his foot off the accelerator as the engine slows down abruptly. Speaking of which, I was given no disclaimer at my last MOT.
NONSENSE! - mss1tw
More likely the cambelt breaks as the tester lifts his foot
off the accelerator as the engine slows down abruptly.

I didn't know that was bad, and particularly on a diesel. Makes sense though, heavier engines I guess, more inertia in all the components.
NONSENSE! - MoneyMart
More likely the cambelt breaks as the tester lifts his foot
off the accelerator as the engine slows down abruptly.

Splitting hairs...
Speaking
of which, I was given no disclaimer at my last MOT.

Perhaps you should find a different tester then?. VOSA publish a poster (URL below) which should be prominently displayed, and also a leaflet which you should be given which explains the test and specifically refers to cam-belt condition and the risk of snapping. If your tester ignored this VOSA guideline, what else did they "forget" or not bother with?

www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/diesel%20smoke%2...f

NONSENSE! - Happy Blue!
"""I've been driving 14 years (with the first 7 years doing 50,000+ miles a year). I've had both petrol and diesel cars, both new and used, and both low and high milers. Some of them I've had from new and sold them with 150,000 miles on the clock.

I have NEVER found the need to do any of the above, and have never experienced a problem with my cars that would have been avoided with the above procedure. Never needed a decoke. Never had a clogged injector. Never had a blocked valve."""

well doing 50,000 miles pa will certainly ensure a car does not need an IT!

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
NONSENSE! - Adam {P}
I do an italian tune up every day. I have no idea whether it's kicking crap out of the engine but I do.

There's nothing better than an engine hitting the redline with long sweeping bends ahead of you.

It's addictive. You can't help it. it hits 4,000 and you think "I'll change gear now" then 5,000, "I'll change gear now" then 6....

I love it.
NONSENSE! - MoneyMart
I do an italian tune up every day. I have no
idea whether it's kicking crap out of the engine but I
do.
There's nothing better than an engine hitting the redline with long
sweeping bends ahead of you.
It's addictive. You can't help it. it hits 4,000 and you
think "I'll change gear now" then 5,000, "I'll change gear now"
then 6....
I love it.

Do you drive a Honda? If not, you should ;-)
NONSENSE! - L'escargot
I love it.

Adamski, wait until something breaks or wears out prematurely and then see whether you can still say that! Still, if you're like I was at your age you won't take any notice. I learned the hard way and it sounds as if you're going to have to as well! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
NONSENSE! - Adam {P}
>>Adamski, wait until something breaks or wears out prematurely and then see whether you can still say that! Still, if you're like I was at your age you won't take any notice. I learned the hard way and it sounds as if you're going to have to as well! ;-)<<

Cars are meant to be driven Snaily. Driven fast and hard! ;-)
NONSENSE! - MoneyMart
Quote "well doing 50,000 miles pa will certainly ensure a car does not need an IT!"

Context!!! Read my post!!!. Quote "with the ***>>>FIRST<<<*** 7 years doing 50,000+ miles a year"

Now average about 9,000 a year in my one car and maybe 20,000 in the other.
Italian Tune up - Cliff Pope
Thanks everyone. I suspected as much - it is not universally accepted as being a good thing, and even its enthusisats are confused about exactly why they are doing it.
The only consistent point that emerges is that the combustion temperature MAY be slightly higher, and the increased rate of gas flow and mechanical movement MAY shake a bit of carbon deposit off.

It doesn't sound a very scientific process, and a bit erratic in the location of its effects. If carbon build-up is a problem, wouldn't a specific fuel additive work better?
Italian Tune up - Altea Ego
I had fairly intimate knowledge of a SAAB 3.0DT from new.

It did 70,000 miles in 2.5 years so it wasnt "underused" - It was for the most part driven fairly lazily. I knew what it felt like when it was brand new and I got to drive for a few hundred miles evry 4k miles or so.

Every time it felt a little bit hesitant, not quite as perky as I knew it was. Each time two or three blasts to the red line throught the gears resulted in a cloud of muck. By the third time the exhaust was much cleaner and the car much less hesitant.

I know it works.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Italian Tune up - wemyss
Interesting thread and posts but we haven?t really come up with a definitive positive technical answer as to if or why it actually works.
Even Aprilia who I personally rate as the most technically knowledgeable in our backroom and could perhaps have converted me isn?t convinced of its merits.
Is there perhaps a placebo effect that one thinks its doing some good when its really nothing more than ?I feel better for doing that and so does the car.?
Years ago the advice was (tongue in cheek) put a weaker spring on the accelerator cable and the customer thinks his engine has been tuned.
And actually if I ever drive with my heavy walking boots on the car always seems much quicker.
Do the enthusiasts of I.T. believe they would get the same result by simply sitting in the stationary car and revving to the red line. If not..why not?

Italian Tune up - MoneyMart
Interesting thread and posts but we haven?t really come up
with a definitive positive technical answer as to if or why
it actually works.
Even Aprilia who I personally rate as the most technically knowledgeable
in our backroom and could perhaps have converted me isn?t convinced
of its merits.
Is there perhaps a placebo effect that one thinks its doing
some good when its really nothing more than ?I feel better
for doing that and so does the car.?
Years ago the advice was (tongue in cheek) put a weaker
spring on the accelerator cable and the customer thinks his engine
has been tuned.
And actually if I ever drive with my heavy walking boots
on the car always seems much quicker.
Do the enthusiasts of I.T. believe they would get the same
result by simply sitting in the stationary car and revving to
the red line. If not..why not?

I'm with you 100%... it's all in their heads...
Italian Tune up - Lud
>>
I'm with you 100%... it's all in their heads...

Unlike the scientifically proved fact that a newly-washed and polished car, especially if the inside has been hosed out as well, has 10 per cent better acceleration, a higher maximum speed, superior smoothness, 5 per cent better fuel economy and vastly improved handling and roadholding.
Italian Tune up - scfc_151
>> >>
>>
>> I'm with you 100%... it's all in their heads...
>>
Unlike the scientifically proved fact that a newly-washed and polished car,
especially if the inside has been hosed out as well, has
10 per cent better acceleration, a higher maximum speed, superior smoothness,
5 per cent better fuel economy and vastly improved handling and
roadholding.

i agree with this my car goes faster when its clean it must be something to do with areodynamics or something :-)
Italian Tune up - Civic8
>>Do the enthusiasts of I.T. believe they would get the same result by simply sitting in the stationary car and revving to the red line. If not..why not?

Its not actually neccesary to take to *red line*,4k revs is more than enough as long as its a hot engine,red lining ie take to-then ease of throttle should be fine on occasions.

But not advisable for long periods it will likely cause damage,ie camshaft rotation will prevent valves opening/closing properly/weak oil pump may not be able to supply oil fast enough around engine,Just sitting on throttle in stationary car will not have the same effect/engine not under power.

this I.T. come from years ago say 60`s/70`s when carbs and points were around,didnt become as much needed when electronic ign come along-even less after ecu & injection
--
Steve
Italian Tune up - L'escargot
this I.T. come from years ago say 60`s/70`s when carbs and
points were around,didnt become as much needed when electronic ign come
along-even less after ecu & injection

Sounds as if it's similar to double declutching ~ you can do it if you want but it doesn't achieve anything worthwhile with today's cars.
--
L\'escargot.
Italian Tune up - Lud
>> this I.T. come from years ago say 60`s/70`s when carbs
and
>> points were around,didnt become as much needed when electronic ign
come
>> along-even less after ecu & injection
Sounds as if it's similar to double declutching ~ you can
do it if you want but it doesn't achieve anything worthwhile
with today's cars.
--
L\'escargot.

Unless the synchromesh has gone on one or more gears, which can happen.
Italian Tune up - Roberson
this I.T. come from years ago say 60`s/70`s when carbs and
points were around,didnt become as much needed when electronic ign come
along-even less after ecu & injection
--

Yeah, I think it?s an outdated process, no longer necessary on well maintained 'modern' cars, especially petrol engines. Maybe a worthwhile process if the cars been running poorly (clogged air filters, worn plugs etc) through neglect, but otherwise, I?m not convinced.

In any case, I always thought it was a worthwhile cause for diesel engines only, due to the naturally high amount of particulates you get.

I drove my Polo for best part of 5 hours at a constant 70 (4000rpm) not so long ago. Did it feel any different? No, not in the slightest.
Italian Tune up - MoneyMart
I had fairly intimate knowledge of a SAAB 3.0DT from new.
It did 70,000 miles in 2.5 years so it wasnt "underused"
- It was for the most part driven fairly lazily. I
knew what it felt like when it was brand new and
I got to drive for a few hundred miles evry 4k
miles or so.
Every time it felt a little bit hesitant, not quite as
perky as I knew it was. Each time two or three
blasts to the red line throught the gears resulted in a
cloud of muck. By the third time the exhaust was much
cleaner and the car much less hesitant.
I know it works.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

I think you'll find that had more to do with the ECU reacting to a change in driving style than it had to do with this silly red-line business old chap!

All modern cars adjust their characteristics slightly to the style of driving. I know in my Audi, if I drive like a granny for a few miles, it changes the throttle response to be less jerky, changes the turbo characteristics to be less peaky, etc. If I then drive like a joyrider for a few miles the opposite occurs....

It must also change the fuelling and timing characteristics. For example, if I drive like a nun for a few miles then put it on cruise at a steady 70mph, the fuel computer gives an instant consumption of about 58mpg. If I drive like a dipstick for a few miles, then do the 7-mph on cruise, instant consumption is about 54mpg. That's *instant* consumption, not average by the way, so in theory if no settings had changed, the instant consumption would be unchanged...
Italian Tune up - Tomo
In her driving days my wife was convinced that her cars (she had all sorts from an Imp - fun! - to a MA71 or MKIII Supra)went better after I had had them out on a decent bit of road. This opinion was volunteered, not solicited by myself.

Italian Tune up - Altea Ego
I think you will find you need to read. What part of "hesitant" do you find hard to grasp?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Brooklands
Actaully more likely directly taken from the Bristol Fighter from the 1914-18 war.

Brooklands
Actaully more likely directly taken from the Bristol Fighter from the
1914-18 war.
Brooklands

Clearly I was a bit sloppy with my research. www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft/gbritain/bristol_f2b...l
--
L\'escargot.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - LotusMike
>> like a Bristol Fighter (terrible name in my opinion .....
Probably a derivation of Bristol Beaufighter ~ the 1940-1960 plane.
--
L\'escargot.

We seem to have got back to Bristol Cars again. The Bristol Fighter (car) is named after the Bristol Fighter (aircraft). This was a 2 seat fighter of the First World War, with a Rolls Royce Falcon engine. Probably the best 2 seat fighter of WW1. 4 or 5,000 were made. The Shuttleworth Collection near Bedford have one which still flies regularly.
And a very handsome animal from the picture in the Snail's weblink... The reason I dislike the name for the (also very handsome to my eye) V10 road rocket is that I don't like aggressive names for cars (Cutlass, Avenger etc.) because they send out a wrong signal to absolutely everyone. Apart from that I dislike the word in itself. Why do guerilla movements and others call their troops 'fighters'? Are they soldiers or aren't they?
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Happy Blue!
A few years ago I rented a Fiat Doblo with the low power non-turbo derv engine. It was a real slug. I drove it for about 10 days very vigourously on mountain roads, motorways and gave it a real thrashing. By the end of theholiday it was certainly more economical, smotther and faster than at the beginning.

What does that prove? - I don't know!
--
A friend of mine says that if you "run it in fast, it will go fast". He may be right, but it will probably wear out fast too!
--
L\'escargot.
<< The reason I dislike the name for the (also very
handsome to my eye) V10 road rocket is that I don't
like aggressive names for cars (Cutlass, Avenger etc.) because they send
out a wrong signal to absolutely everyone. Apart from that I
dislike the word in itself. Why do guerilla movements and others
call their troops 'fighters'? Are they soldiers or aren't they?

I'd sooner have a name like Fighter than a name which conveys nothing to me at all, like Getz, Carens, Viano, Kelisa, Vel Satis to name but a few. I'm sure that some of them don't convey anything to anybody in any language.
--
L\'escargot.
I'd sooner have a name like Fighter than a name which
conveys nothing to me at all, like Getz, Carens, Viano, Kelisa,
Vel Satis to name but a few. I'm sure that some
of them don't convey anything to anybody in any language.
--
L\'escargot.

Well, I certainly wasn't saying names like that were a good thing. Car manufacturers pay fabulous sums to no one in particular to come up with names. If it was easy to think of a good one they wouldn't need to.
The vast majority of vehicles i have driven have seemed more responsive after a week although this may be due to the fact that after about five days I am used to the vehicle and its handaling and consequently drive more briskly.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - MoneyMart
I think you will find you need to read. What part
of "hesitant" do you find hard to grasp?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

I have no problems grasping the word hesitant! I do have trouble grasping your point though. Perhaps you could be a little more coherent? You're obviously throwing a toy out of your pram with your retort, though it's not very clear what you're trying to say.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - David Horn
Regardless of whether it makes any difference, I simply enjoy giving my car a damn good thrashing from time to time. Reminds it who's boss.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - normd
just a thought - didn't this school of thought originate with thoroughbred Italians such as Ferraris and like that tend to object to town driving?
italian tune up (again...sorry) - wemyss
Would it perhaps be more appropriate in the future to recommend the Torquay tune up.
I?m thinking of Hotelier Basil Fawlty who gave his Austin 1100 a damn good thrashing (using his words) to teach it a lesson.
He used a branch of a small tree and really gave it some welly.
To be fair to Basil he had previously warned it several times to no avail.
It seemed to work.
Regardless of whether it makes any difference....

I quite agree David. If you didn't do it from time to time, how else would you know whether your rev limiter was working or not ;o)
I quite agree David. If you didn't do it from time
to time, how else would you know whether your rev limiter
was working or not ;o)

Wasn't there a theory on older fuel injected Vauxhalls (I'm thinking Mk2 Cavalier SRi's and Astra GTE's) that if you hit the rev limited often enough, you'd break or burn out whatever it was that made the limiter work?

I seem to remember seeing my mates Cav SRi's rev needle go well off the scale on many occasions (and the scale went up to 8000 rpm!)
Wasn't there a theory on older fuel injected Vauxhalls (I'm thinking
Mk2 Cavalier SRi's and Astra GTE's) that if you hit the
rev limited often enough, you'd break or burn out whatever it
was that made the limiter work?

If that was the case, I never managed to break it with any of my previously owned Vauxhalls. ok, none of them were the SRi's or GTE's, but a couple of my Cavalier's had the same engine as was fitted to the SRi. The only difference was that the SRi had a different cam profile and close ratio gearbox fitted.
>> Wasn't there a theory on older fuel injected Vauxhalls (I'm
thinking
>> Mk2 Cavalier SRi's and Astra GTE's) that if you hit
the
>> rev limited often enough, you'd break or burn out whatever
it
>> was that made the limiter work?
If that was the case, I never managed to break it
with any of my previously owned Vauxhalls. ok, none of them
were the SRi's or GTE's, but a couple of my Cavalier's
had the same engine as was fitted to the SRi. The
only difference was that the SRi had a different cam profile
and close ratio gearbox fitted.

Yeah... could be wrong, but I'm sure there was some way of removing the rev-limited, and I'm sure it involved repeatedly red-lining it... but it was a long time ago...

btw, the 1.8 OHC 8v injection engine was a cracking engine! All I can remember is my mate giving his GTE untold amounts of abuse and the thing just never gave up.

Also fairly quick if I remember rightly, although I also remember the SRI 130 was the cream of the range for the Mk2 Cav, and 130bhp doesn't sound much these days, so I might be thinking with rose-tinted glasses.... but then I suppose compared to the Ford equivalents 130bhp was a lot, especially with the lazy delivery characteristics of the Ford V6's and Pinto straight 4's...
the SRI 130 was the cream of the range for the Mk2 Cav,

Mine was the 2.0 115 bhp. However it had more torque than the Sri 130 and because the gearbox wasn't close ratio I could hold it in each gear that bit longer and not lose speed by having to keep changing gear. Racing it against a mate's Sri 130 - (as you do when you're younger) - mine was faster on acceleration and top end speed.
It was perfectly coherent so I will break it into short sentences to assist you.
The car was hesitant.
It was a SAAB 3.0 It does not have a "learning engine management system"
It was hesitant and sluggish after 4,000 miles of lazy driving. Reving it to the red line a few times produced a large cloud of smoke.
The car felt better and more responsive to me.
The car felt better and more responsive to the owner/driver.

So your conclusion would be?

Oh and BTW Dont call me old chap.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
So your conclusion would be?

Yawn zzzzzzz!
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Adam {P}
>>Yawn zzzzzzz!<<

To be fair, you're the one who kept pushing it.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - whoopwhoop
"Reving it to the red line a few times produced a large cloud of smoke."

its a diesel

all diesels produce a large cloud of smoke if you red-line it
"Reving it to the red line a few times produced a
large cloud of smoke."
its a diesel
all diesels produce a large cloud of smoke if you red-line
it

His "toy out of pram" post just said "what part of hesitant don't you understand". That was the bit that didn't make any sense! I couldn't (& still can't) see what point he was hoping to make with that comment, as it is entirely consistant with my post (which was that the ECU will adjust to hard driving and become less hesitant!

If he'd mentioned that the car didn't have "learning engine management" as he puts it, then it would have made a bit more sense.

C'est la vie I suppose! :-)
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Group B
its a diesel
all diesels produce a large cloud of smoke if you red-line
it

Yes, I thought a cloud of black smoke at high revs was unburnt or partially-burnt fuel, due to overfuelling. The engine cant get enough air to efficiently burn the large amount of fuel being pumped in.
>> its a diesel
>>
>> all diesels produce a large cloud of smoke if you
red-line
>> it
>>
Yes, I thought a cloud of black smoke at high revs
was unburnt or partially-burnt fuel, due to overfuelling. The engine
cant get enough air to efficiently burn the large amount of
fuel being pumped in.

my year old jag diesel does it as did my previous merc as did my previous vectra as did my previous 306 in fact never had a diesel that dont do it

>> its a diesel
>>
>> all diesels produce a large cloud of smoke if you
red-line
>> it
Yes, I thought a cloud of black smoke at high revs
was unburnt or partially-burnt fuel, due to overfuelling. The engine
cant get enough air to efficiently burn the large amount of
fuel being pumped in.

I refer my honourable Gentleman to the replay I gave some moments before

"By the third time the exhaust was much
cleaner"
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Adam {P}
RF old chap, I wouldn't bother.

Ooh, steady Adam, he doesn't like being called "old chap"... :-)

no RF don't bother (please)
Oh go on. Just once.
I've just looked at my car's rev counter and there is no red line. I'll just have to rev it until it gets valve bounce.
--
L\'escargot.
Or 'Nature's Rev Limiter'.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - jc
You don't need it now;on gasoline,the module cuts the injection-on diesels,the governor cuts the fuel.
italian tune up (again...sorry) - Greg R
My opinion is just use the car. If the average person uses it every day, goes shopping, to work, to the park, the odd long motorway journey, the engine shouldn't need an italian tune up in my opinion.

Just lots of use, and the recommended revs and the car will last a lot longer than occasional use. Make the most of the vehicle is my opinion really.