V5 - errors everywhere - local yokel
Got the V5 back on a car I bought three weeks ago.

Following errors:

The previous keeper is the guy before the one I bought it from, date also the date the previous person bought it.

Former keepers number is one too low

I'm shown as the current keeper, but the date acquired shown is the date the guy who sold it to me bought it...

Ring DVLA and the blinking computerised phone says I've got to mark the errors, send it back (at my cost) etc.

Anyone else had this many (or more) mistakes on a V5?
V5 - errors everywhere - Chris S
I'd keep the V5 - one less owner ups your car's price when you come to sell it!
V5 - errors everywhere - borasport20
did the last owner actually transfer the V5 to himself ?

Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Yes, As far as I am aware, the previous owner did transfer the car. The date shown that I acquired the car is in fact the date he got it.

What seems to have happened is that the computer (or the idiot operating it) has transposed everything back one ownership, except my name.

Trouble is I have a legal duty to check it on receipt, and it could get awkward if/when I try to sell it
V5 - errors everywhere - bell boy
if you accept it, there may be hidden parking tickets,speeding tickets,congestion charges etc so on this occasion i would say reject the v5 with a covering letter and use a felt pen to highlight the mistakes
V5 - errors everywhere - Bill Payer
I wouldn't worry about it either way - once your past the first ownwer no-one seems to take much notice of how many owners a cars had.
Presumeably there's a receipt to show when the car was acquired - they always say the V5 isn't proof of ownership anyway.

My last V5 came with my name badly mis-spelt (which I corrected) but also the date I acquired the car was 2 wks earlier than shown. I left that as it was, thinking it might be useful if I'd been scamered during those 2 wks!
V5 - errors everywhere - Chas{P}
Been covered before:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27297&...f
--
Was Charles {P} but someone c o p i e d my name with spaces.
V5 - errors everywhere - Armitage Shanks {p}
Facts about DVLA

1. It is run by the Government
2. It involves a computer
3. It is, and will continue to be, a very inefficient 'service'
for the benefit of local jokel i will give the facts
booklet INS 160 PAGE 4 SECTION 4

I quote, "it is your responsibility to check that all the details are correct."
Page 3 last paragraph is more specific,£1000 fine if you dont tell us and a £5000 fine and up to 2 years in prison if you deliberatly give false information.
Send it off as there is no dept at dvla that will let you off everything is black and white,personally i like their system as it is very efficient and gets 10/10 for service from me.
Tks, Oldman, but if you look at my earlier post you can see I knew it was my resp. to check and advise of errors.

My real problem is that they were made in the first place, and seem to be the result of poor design/management of the computer system. Highly likely therefore that mine is not the only V5 that is wrong, because of their errors - they must send out 1000s each day - and my guess is that less than 25% of owners would check they were correct.

It could prove expensive for individuals at a later date (PXing/sale, for example) if they did not discover mistakes that had a knock on effect.
well ive never had one wrong yet, honestly, and i do check them, hpi very often have wrong details a classic is 5 door corsa"s listed as 3 doors, I believe in most cases its sellers and buyers that input details on the original v5 that is wrong at p.o.s.
Most people are still unsure how to fill in the new v5c and they have been out a year.
The only thing about dvla that bugs me is that you have to go to a local office to change the taxation class from disabled to plg they cant do it at swansea.
V5 - errors everywhere - Armitage Shanks {p}
But no obligation on DVLA, who are here to serve us and paid to do, to get it right in the first instance! The police say that their ability to track and trace vehicle owners thru APNR technology is compromised by a high percentage of inaccurate DVLA records. If I was 30% inaccurate in my job I'd be sacked and rightly so! And this is the bunch of clowns that thinks we should all have ID cards; the Government, not the DVLA!
V5 - errors everywhere - Quinny100
Sounds to me like your V5 has been processed as a name and details change rather than a change of keeper. It is beyond the realms of possibility that you forgot to tick box 12?
V5 - errors everywhere - Simon
I've had a V5 from the DVLA for a brand new bike that I had bought and it contained three errors. If I remember rightly they were: incorrect frame number, name/address spelt wrong and best of all they had the manufacturer down as Lambretta and not Aprilia as the bike wactually was. Needless to say I sent it back with a letter and they corrected all of the mistakes and sent me another new V5.
V5 - errors everywhere - Navara Van man
Seems that the standard is slipping.... posibly casused by the pressure of replacing perfectly good British forms with euro rubbish.

Paul
V5 - errors everywhere - L'escargot
Ring DVLA and the blinking computerised phone

I saw a TV programme yesterday (Richard Hammond's 5 O'clock Show?) in which someone proved that if you press 0 followed by # a few times after you have listened to the first part of the recorded message it confuses the computer and you quickly get connected to a real person. You may have to repeat the process if it doesn't work the first time and you then get another bit of recorded message.
--
L\'escargot.