Diesel Power? Pffft. - mss1tw
After spending a lovely weekend away with the missus in Wales, I'm not impressed to realise her 1.2 16v Clio seems to do almost as well on hills, and 'rolling' acceleration , as my 2.0 HDi. As you'd expect it's useless below 4,000rpm but once it hits there you can see the speedo rise.

And the book figure for those is 55MPG too.

I'm assuming mine would cope a lot better when loaded up, but still...

Not amused.
Diesel Power? Pffft. - JH
mss
my Passat hasn't seen a hill yet. It's been up 1 in 3 gradients but didn't seem to notice. By contrast various smaller engined petrol cars inc wife's 1.4 Jazz have to be "encouraged". We had a (first shape) Clio 1.2, great fun but it definitely didn't like hills. Either your HDI's pooped or your Clio has had a miraculous transformation.

btw what's 4000 rpm? :-)

John
btw what's 4000 rpm? :-)

When an HDi becomes a smoke machine!

I'm not saying mines bad, per se. Just that it didn't whip the Clio in the way I'd expect. Do you know what I mean?

I guess a direct head to head would be the only fair way to make a comparison, though.

I've been condsidering getting it rolling roaded but I'm not sure how useful that would be (Flywheel power vs 'on the road' power)
Diesel Power? Pffft. - JH
mss,
there is a lot of fun to be had in getting the best from a small engined car. Conserving energy, smooth driving and getting past that bigger engined car in front with skill rather than your right foot. The Welsh roads with hills and bends are just the place.

Sounds like you've been out enjoying yourself !

John
mss,
there is a lot of fun to be had in getting
the best from a small engined car. Conserving energy, smooth driving
and getting past that bigger engined car in front with skill
rather than your right foot. The Welsh roads with hills and
bends are just the place.
Sounds like you've been out enjoying yourself !
John

A man after my own heart! I try and do exactly that! Much more satisfying than just burying the throttle. Where's the skill in that?

Also, it's not just small cars it's useful in...remember Sabine aceing the Nurburgring in the Transit?!

It was too icy and slippy to have any real fun though. :o(
Diesel Power? Pffft. - hcm
passed what looked like a fatal RTC on the A42 this afternoon; smouldering remains of a honda i think. wouldn't drive a petrol car again after seeing what a bad fire will do. grim smell.
Diesel is flammable too...wonder what a common rail fuel system look like when it lets go in an underbonnet fire.

Veg oil is apparently a lot safer, if you're that concerned.
Diesel Power? Pffft. - Navara Van man
Strange.. 3.1 tdi trooper races up hills and does a ton on the motorway. Although aceleration from sarting is limited by the gears, I regularly overtake petrol cars on the hill local to me.

The main diferance between the diesel trooper and the 2.0 petrol mondeo is mondeo does 120mph on motorway b4 speed limiter trooper does 110mph.

On hill about the same overtaking /aceleration perfomanceand but mondeo quicker from standing.

Paul
Diesel Power? Pffft. - Mr.Tee43
My previous car was a 2 litre Renault Laguna,old style,and granted,it used an engine that could be classed as "old tech" but compared to my VW Bora TDI 130,it was a slug.

Coming up to an incline after a longish flat road in 5th gear,you would definately have to change gear to keep up the momentum,but the Bora will just keep accelerating even in 6th gear.The pull of this engine is quite an eyeopener after the Renault and this with the bonus of nearly twice as many miles to the gallon.No Contest !

I have had a 1.2 Corsa as a loan car and must admit I quite enjoyed driving it and as has been said before,the skill is keeping the momentum up,but no way would it keep up with my Bora !
Diesel Power? Pffft. - Xileno {P}
I went from Laguna V6 to Megane dCi and think the diesel is better in most situations unless you really want to press on hard, then the V6 was great although you paid for it at the pumps...
Diesel Power? Pffft. - AlanGowdy
A sporty petrol car would probably be a better (more fun anyway) drive than a diesel for press-on driving on winding roads with lots of accelerating and decelerating between tight bends.

However, I do very little of this kind of driving. I commute 80 miles per day on fast A-roads and Motorways. My diesel will cruise all day at 100 mph and 2800 rpm and still happily accelerate further despite being in an overdrive sixth gear (not that I would ever do this of course). Alternatively driving at the limit it gives me 55 miles for every expensive gallon burnt - I'd need to press on like an idiot to drop this to the low-forties. It climbs hills like a rabbit with a rocket up its bum. It accelerates to overtake slower traffic with contemptuous ease and usually without the need for a downward gearchange.

Happy? You bet.