thankyou - andrew
thanks to everybody who answered my question
however i have another
what are trade plates and why are they important
Re: thankyou - Moosh
Is this a genuine question or are you winding us up ?
Re: thankyou - Brian
In simple terms: Trade plates are special tie-on plates issued only to the motor trade whereby the trader/driver is registered rather than the vehicle.
Re: thankyou - Dwight Van-Driver
......thereby allowing those connected to the motoring industry in possession of a number of untaxed motor vehicles to use them temporarily on a road without infringement of Excise offence.

There used to be two types- Red letters on white (Limited use) white on red (General).

Plods song "Red on white, stop on sight. White on red go ahead" More chance of issuing a summons with the first.

DVD
Re: thankyou - Honest John
They're all red on white these days. Mine are. But there are draconian restrictions on the use of trade plates. You can't jusat pick an untaxed car off your back lot, stick on a set of trade plates, then load up with family and go and see Auntie Mabel. The are for delivery, collection, testing and demo purposes only.

HJ
Re: thankyou - Alwyn
You won't get them easily. I am told Plod will visit to ensure you are a bona fide trader.
Re: thankyou - The Real Bogush
There's a thought:

Why can't you just stick your tax disk on any car you're driving.

If you have a cycle, horse, moped, scooter, motorbike, sports toy, saloon plus an estate/MPV/SUV/van for occasional "heavy" work you can only drive one at once.

And presumably automatically use the most environmentally friendly one in any particular set of circumstances.

So why should you have to pay for half a dozen, while the green motorway protester in his clapped out campervan only pays one?:-(
Re: thankyou - Colin M
Plod doesn't vet you, a DVLA person comes round to check you're bona fide. There are plenty of "traders without premises" but the DVLA want to check that, among other things, your intention is not to use the plates on your personal vehicles.

Following HJ's advice, I got myself a set of plates to enable delivery of customers cars throughout the UK (imported vehicles) and was surprised to hear from a couple of insurers that they won't offer cover on the plates for imported cars (full UK spec) until they have had their initial UK registration. Rather defeats the object of the plates and makes it very hard for legitimate importers to stay legal.

Seem to be some luddites in the industry who do not easily accept the modern methods of buying and selling new cars.

The registration-insurance-registration loop the DVLA have on new cars imported from Europe means there are an awful lot of people driving with little or no cover on their way from the Euro dealer to their home.
Re: thankyou - Brian
TRB
That sounds like a case for an annual fee payable by each licence-holder.
I hope you are not reading this, Mr G Brown!
That could mean that, instead of one VLD for the family car, he could get £100 from dad, £100 from mum, £100 from each of the live-at home kids, etc., etc.!
test - test
Click here for Google; this is a test.